Aiintree Track Day - Nadine

Come here to say hello and get up to speed with how to make the most of the forum.
BlueWesty1

Re: Aiintree Track Day - Nadine

Post by BlueWesty1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:32 pm

In all fairness to "Alec" Hedge. I experienced a similar situation in the twisty bits on a track day at Elvington two years ago. There were a number of Atoms there, and again the little westy seemed to be a little more agile in and out of the tight bits. Could it be that with less horses the westy is able to get the power down earlier, therefore tends to enter and exit the corners quicker.  :) :)

Drinks

Post by Drinks » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:35 pm

[quote="BlueWesty1"]
Must rebuild engine tomorrow or consider something with more horses ;D
[/quote]

So what did you decide?

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm

[quote="BlueWesty1"]
In all fairness to "Alec" Hedge. I experienced a similar situation in the twisty bits on a track day at Elvington two years ago. There were a number of Atoms there, and again the little westy seemed to be a little more agile in and out of the tight bits. Could it be that with less horses the westy is able to get the power down earlier, therefore tends to enter and exit the corners quicker.  :) :)
[/quote]

nah, in the same hands an Atom will beat a westie through the twisties hands down.  

The problem with the Atom is that it flatters bad drivers by enabling us to pull away so strongly at a corner exit that we can drive like utter idiots through the actual corner without losing out on overall lap pace.  

It is however a very agile car, and as I say with the same driver in each car I am certain that the Atom would be at least as fast in the twisties and signifcantly faster overall than a westie.  Many of us would have real trouble driving your car quickly round a circuit Blue, beacause we haven't been forced to learn the finesse of driving properly.  

BlueWesty1

Post by BlueWesty1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:02 pm

[quote="Drinks"]
[quote="BlueWesty1"]
Must rebuild engine tomorrow or consider something with more horses ;D
[/quote]

So what did you decide?
[/quote]

The engine came out today and is destined for Stanwood Performance tomorrow. I will see how serious the damage is and decide which route will be best on my wallet after speaking with them. I haven't competed seriously in motor sport for the last 18 months, but do intend to take it seriously again next year. Not sure which class I will be doing next year so don't intend spending shed loads on an engine I will potentially not use.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Nathan - I sort of agree and disagree. The Westies are easier to drive fast in the corners - Atoms are very difficult in the corners, coz at the limit they are very lively. Keeping an Atom at the grip limit needs a very very good driver. I do agree that a long straight will flatter due to the outright pace of course.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 pm

never driven a westie, but done plenty of track time in cat er hams to feel IMHO that they are equally lively at the limit to an Atom.  Keeping a caterfield going at the limit requires an equally good driver, and maintaining momentum through corners in a low powered car required a whole additional skillset that we just don't have to develop. 

Some do learn how to be smooth and maintain corner speed, but not everyone.  I recon that if you put most atom drivers side by side in a base spec elise against a driver that really knows how to keep the momentum up through the corners and we would get killed. 

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:46 pm

I have on occasion caught more powerful Atoms and then on the straights they dissapear leaving me to do it all over again.  More often they have caught me and finished the job on the straight !

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:58 pm

[quote="BlueWesty1"]

Oh have you forgotten our overtaking maneuver on you, exiting the last bend after railway. Really not trying to score points, just found it interesting how both types of car performed on different parts of the circuit.

[/quote]

I think you might be confused by the photos Drinks has posted of your car behind Lee's and the photo in my Avatar being an old one with my Yellow panels on.

I was the Black one with the CF wings so no, I don't remember any overtaking maneuvers at Club Corner.

[quote="Hedge"]
An Atom being passed by a Westy!
Shame on you, Alec. You have in one foul circuit, sorry, swoop besmearched the Atom myth...... ;D

Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

It wasn't me.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

maybepoet

Post by maybepoet » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:30 pm

In the Blue corner we have the Blue Westie

In the Black corner we have the Black Atom

Having been a passenger in Alec's Black Atom on two occasions I can confirm that No Westie's passed us at all (Nadine)  :police:

I second that (Simon - 1 session)  :td:

Alec passed on average 4-5 cars per session. He managed to catch up with Lee's 300 on several occasions but couldn't live with him on the long straight

After all, it was supposed to be a "Track Day" and not a Race Day!

I was surprised that I seemed to be the only female out on the track as  a passenger. What was wrong? Could it have been the unthinkable prospect of a helmet-induced bad hair day? :o

I also disliked the 'sponsorship show offs' cavorting round the circuit in their race prepared Exiges and R111's wearing full race suits. God they looked miserable :'(

I do think a race circuit Photographer would be usefull for those wanting that special memento.

I had a thoroughly delightful time and loved soaking up the pre/post session banter as well as chatting to any Tom Dick or Ogler trying to immagine themselves at the wheel of such a thrilling ride

Dream on Atom Wannabe's :drool:

I had the real deal

Alec for PM :angel:

Nadine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:54 pm

Nadine, I'll tell you why there aren't many women on track days, cause they don't look like Ted Rogers! Current company excluded of course :)

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:48 pm

[quote="maybepoet"]

I was surprised that I seemed to be the only female out on the track as  a passenger. What was wrong? Could it have been the unthinkable prospect of a helmet-induced bad hair day? :o

Nadine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Nadine, once you and Simon had left I took another female out for the final session.  ;D

She was the 16 year old niece of the guy next to us with the Twin-engined 4x4 Z-Cars Tiger. She hadn't had a chance to get a passenger ride in it before one of the engines started to play up and he had to call it a day.

As the Tiger owner was a friend of my mate from Liverpool Motor Club, the one with the little MG Midget, I couldn't let her have a wasted outing so managed to put a big smile on her face to finish her day off.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

BlueWesty1

Post by BlueWesty1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:57 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="BlueWesty1"]

Oh have you forgotten our overtaking maneuver on you, exiting the last bend after railway. Really not trying to score points, just found it interesting how both types of car performed on different parts of the circuit.

[/quote]

I think you might be confused by the photos Drinks has posted of your car behind Lee's and the photo in my Avatar being an old one with my Yellow panels on.

I was the Black one with the CF wings so no, I don't remember any overtaking maneuvers at Club Corner.

[quote="Hedge"]
An Atom being passed by a Westy!
Shame on you, Alec. You have in one foul circuit, sorry, swoop besmearched the Atom myth...... ;D

Cheers, Hedge
[/quote]

It wasn't me.
[/quote]

Correct it was the other Atom.

BlueWesty1

Post by BlueWesty1 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:38 am

Update on blown engine, now back in the car  :P

8 x Valves and guides
2 x Con rods
4 x Pistons