WANTED : Atom 3.5

Here you can find all things Ariel related that our members have posted for sale. In order to post an item for sale you must be a full Club Member. Registered Forum users who are not full members can comment on items for sale and Guest users can browse and search the items only.
carspath

WANTED : Atom 3.5

Post by carspath » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:20 am

Please would you get in touch if you are considering selling your Atom 3.5
This would be for my own use
I have the funds immediately available for a fairly priced car

The car needs to be in very good if not immaculate condition :

No Accident damage .
Minimal Track use
Full Service History , preferably with the Factory
No non-factory modifications
Preferably a low previous owner count

I will be using the car almost exclusively on the road only , so am not looking for high spec track spec or carbon fibre accessories.

It would be great if non-sellers / sellers could also chime in and give me an indication ( their thoughts on ) what £30k / £35k / £40k would buy please .
For some months I have been scouring the classifieds and the historic adverts on this forum so have some idea but would appreciate your thoughts too please

Thank you

Fastlane

Re: WANTED : Atom 3.5

Post by Fastlane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:34 pm

Welcome. Firstly, I would wait until the Spring when more cars will be advertised and so you will have more choice. Based on your criteria, my thoughts:

£30k - You won't get a 3.5 for that
£35k - A lower-spec non-supercharged 3.5, with 15k+ miles
£40k - A lower-spec supercharged 3.5, with 25k+ miles
£43k - Will get you a nicely spec'd supercharged 3.5, with lower miles, or a higher mileage, higher spec'd one

An equivalent Atom 3 will be a good £5k cheaper and as most will have had 3.5 upgrades by now, and drive the same, are a great alternative.

I would also suggest you ring the factory for advice on Atoms if you haven't already. They often hear about cars for sale too. If you are looking at a particular car, then ring them before making any decisions to check its provenance.

Good luck.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:11 am

My one is for sale on here and autotrader, £43.5k and aligns to the above post from Fastlane. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19005

Not sure on your budget but mine is a 2018 with only 7,800 miles and comes with some spare wheels, cover and a few other bits and pieces, I think this is a fair price. Message me if you are interested.

Thanks

carspath

Post by carspath » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:44 pm

Thank you Fastlane … that was exactly the sort of information that I was looking for

1) i would be keen to hear your and other forum members opinions on just what I would be losing by going for a NA versus a SC car , other than that glorious whine . I would not be using the car at all on the track so top speed and high speed acceleration is immaterial to me .
But how different is the Low Speed acceleration, say from 10 mph to 80 mph ?

2 ) Would others please chime in to add to Fastlane,s much appreciated thoughts on what I can expect for £30/35/40/45 k

Rooney1000 thanks for replying … I have already noted your car from the Autotrader and PH adverts .

Thanks everyone

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:22 pm

No problem. The na Atom is still ballistically fast and more than adequate for road use, but once you've tried a supercharged car, it's difficult not to be tempted by the noise and the way it fires you towards the horizon with a banshee wail!

I only use mine on road and I would really miss the supercharger whine, as it really adds to the drama. I wanted an adrenaline buzz below 60, as I live in Cornwall and there aren't many A roads, and it gives that in spades.

I have no idea how fast my car is from 10-80, but I would guess maybe a second or so faster than an na Atom.

Your best bet would be to drive them both, but I suspect if you do, you'll go for the supercharger...
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

JT1020

Post by JT1020 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:14 pm

Where are you based Carspath?

IanG

Post by IanG » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:34 am

Hi Carspath

No Accident damage

Not a problem if it’s been repaired by the factory or they have inspected it after the accident

Minimal Track use

Again not a major problem as most track cars have been well looked after.

Full Service History , preferably with the Factory

Always a good idea to talk to the factory but they aren’t hard to service yourself and the factory are always on hand to advise with anything.
Having the factory collect a car can work out expensive as well as the service for some owners in the certain parts of the country.

No non-factory modifications

Not sure what you mean but owners always add something to their cars

Preferably a low previous owner count

Again if it’s been well looked after as most owners do not a problem

I brought mine as a N/A then had a charger fitted on the road never really noticed that there was a big difference in speed as you always arrive at warp speed🤣.

It mostly depends on the driver a good driver in a N/A will be as quick as a supercharged one just depends if you need the whine

Set your self a budget and talk to the factory on any car you like the look of they will always help.

Ian

PhilTimo

Post by PhilTimo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:30 pm

I too am looking for another 3.5 S/C. Cash waiting.
Ford Fiesta Van 1.6 Sport
Hyundai Tucson 1.6 N Line
Suzuki GSXR 1000
2016 Atom 3.5

carspath

Post by carspath » Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:06 pm

Hi all , Thank you for all your replies and my apologies for the delay in replying but I had some difficulty in logging into this forum … now resolved !

Fast lane , Thanks again . I too will be using the car mainly on country roads . I live in West Dorset , so not far from you at all , and would love to see your car when I am next in Cornwall .

JT1020 , as above I live in West Dorset , but am happy to travel to see a car or to gather information and knowledge about Atoms .

Ian’s , Thank you for all your advice . Is there any way that I can make contact with you ( and Fastlane and JT1020) so that I can talk to you on the phone in detail about your transition from NA to SC please ?

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:06 pm

One caution before you decide on buying a N/A Atom intending to upgradie it by adding a supercharger is to speak to the factory BEFORE buying to ensure that you/they can source a Jackson supercharger as they can be very difficult to find as, as far as I'm aware, they are no longer produced - but the factory might either have one in stock or, alternatively, they might know where they can source one for you!
I would strongly urge you to check before committing to any purchase!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Alec

Post by Alec » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:06 pm

Unless it's the noise of the SC that you want Carspath, which I personally don't like, then a N/A Atom is more than adequate for on the road.

I have a N/A 245 bhp Atom 2, which I bought new in 2006, and I now drive it mainly on the road, plus I do a couple of local Track Days at Aintree Motor Racing Circuit, but I used to do more up & down the country, as well as driving American Atoms at both the AtomFests they held at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit.

Admittedly, I wasn't the fastest on track, but then again, I was there to enjoy myself, not be the fastest as if I was trying to win a race.

Even at Aintree, where I go in their Group 4 session for open wheelers & race prepared cars, I'm still not the slowest.

Whatever you choose, you'll be amazed at how much fun it is to drive.
Attachments
Atom in Group 4 at Aintree Circuit.jpg
Atom in Group 4 at Aintree Circuit.jpg (335.44 KiB) Viewed 666 times