Headlight 2 to 3 conversion

Here you can find all things Ariel related that our members have posted for sale. In order to post an item for sale you must be a full Club Member. Registered Forum users who are not full members can comment on items for sale and Guest users can browse and search the items only.
M80HOT

Headlight 2 to 3 conversion

Post by M80HOT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Maybe I missed it but I can’t seem to find any discussion re changing the ugly 2 headlights to the slick 3 headlights...
I am guessing that it’s not as easy or obvious as it appears, i see skunkwurx sells some of the parts .... but can’t seem to find the 3 lamp housings etc ..... thoughts ???

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Headlight 2 to 3 conversion

Post by John Scherrer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 pm

The factory are your friend ..
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Tommycupra

Post by Tommycupra » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:53 am

I‘ve been speaking with the factory over this as I was going to have it done when my Atom was down there having the dash upgraded, but chassis welding, new uprights and bearings as well as some other bits meant I had to prioritise... 3.5 lights are supposedly quite easy to do but the only tricky part is a hole needs to drilled through the mounting arm and into the chassis (through and through) and then secured using a nut and bolt, otherwise the headlights will drop as they’re supposedly quite heavy (so i’ve Been told) I’ll be doing this upgrade Myself next month!

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 am

I bought the full LED kit from the factory and did it myself - before the job I thought that the counter balance hole drilling might be quite tricky and worrying - but in the event this aspect went very smoothly.

Rather to my surprise I found that the most difficult thing that I had to do was fitting the rear light brackets into the rear frame - this required 2 people (too many hands needed) and some considerable force!

- all the electrical connections were simply plug & play.

I also found that, after the fitting was complete, aligning the projector headlights fairly time consuming and challenging as extremely tiny adjustments have a hugely disproportional effect due to the LEDs 'fish-eye' lenses!

However the upgrade is really worth it as this LED light modification simply transforms night driving with the additional benefit of being much better looking than the 'mickey's ears' headlights which, in my experience, simply reflect the headlight glare back from the front wheels!

My main reason for fitting the upgrade is because - due to it being too hot to drive during the day in the Cyprus summer sun - I do most of my driving in the evening and at night
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:27 pm

How much are just the front lights from the factory?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:00 pm

Fastlane

Just call Matt in parts (or email him at : parts@arielmotor.co.uk) at the factory as I ordered the whole LED package (front & back) and have no idea what the 'part' price would be - not so mention that I did this LED lights upgrade over 3 years ago and prices are more than likely to have changed in the interim!!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Tommycupra

Post by Tommycupra » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Front and rear kit was £950 on my quote

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:54 pm

Autobackup - I will give him call tomorrow. Steve mentioned £1400 for front and rear, I assume fitted.

Tomycupra - thank you, I would guess the front lights to be probably £600 of the £950, but as above, I'll enquire. I'm pretty happy with my Landrover Wipac LEDs that I fitted last year front and back, but dislike the "elephant ears". IMHO, no other headlights look better than the factory ones. Perhaps I'll wait until service time...
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:22 pm

I made a tentative enquiry last December about upgrading the lights on my 2006 Atom 2, and was told that fitting the new Front lights was OK, but they said that I shouldn't change the Rear lights to the new ones, because the vibrations of an Atom 2 would snap them off due to the weight of the new lights.
Looks like I might be sticking with the original ones then.

VickersUK

Post by VickersUK » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am

Alec have you upgraded the engine mounts?