Atom 2 160 for Sale (2005)

Here you can find all things Ariel related that our members have posted for sale. In order to post an item for sale you must be a full Club Member. Registered Forum users who are not full members can comment on items for sale and Guest users can browse and search the items only.
Scottsman

Atom 2 160 for Sale (2005)

Post by Scottsman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:33 pm

Currently on holiday I've made the hard, hard decision to sell my atom. It was originally a factory demonstrator for it's first three months and then has mainly been driven around roads in central Scotland where I'm based. It's got  loads of extras - too many to list - so when I say loads, it even has the fixing brackets for left hand drive, although they're never been used! It's also had a couple of upgrades over the years.

Total mileage is c. 13k and it's almost pristine, given its age. It's definitely spent more time being cleaning and polished over its life than been driven, particularly over the past three years and c. 1500 miles, including a three day valet and G-techniq treatment in May, although to be honest it didn't really need it. Currently I just don't have the time to drive it and am unlikely to this year hence the decision to let her go.

I tracked Simon down on 27th December 2004, the morning after the Atom appeared on Top Gear. Suffice to say I got to know Simon when Ariel was at it's infancy and I'm a founding member of this forum and the owners' club. I have loads of documents, write-ups of maintenance etc. etc.

I'm looking for £23.5k

As I say, I'm currently on holiday until 26th July but wanted to get the ball rolling for anyone that's seriously interested. I don't currently have all the details to hand but will try to answer any questions when holiday internet connection allows. After nine and a half years I'm possibly the longest owner of a single car so hopefully I should be able to answer most questions!

I should also mention that besides me, my wife has driven it a few times and despite countless requests, no one else has been near the alarm fob.  You can perhaps tell that it's my pride and joy so I'll have to think carefully about how to arrange a test drive (naturally in the dry)...

Oh and it's red.

Easiest way to contact me is on archscott@gmail.com

Alastair Scott

Bruce Fielding

Re: Atom 2 160 for Sale (2005)

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:13 am

Alastair!!! Noooo!!!

That's a great car and the 2 160 is a rare and lovely drive.

Too much alcoholic duty and too little play time...?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Bruce,

I know. I'm still not 100% certain it's the right decision (hence the recent and expensive G-techniq treatment just before I sell it)  ??? however it's been great fun and I remember thinking I knew how to drive way back in 2005 before I got it, as most of us do. And then I got the Atom! Thankfully I got the 160 - it was (and remains) beyond my skillset and the 160 doesn't vibrate like the larger ones did, and my neck muscles just couldn't cope with the G-forces of the 300. Andy gave me a ride in his 300 and he really knew how to drive from his karting days but I had a sore neck for a day or two! Heck I was 37 years of age at the time and I just didn't have the neck muscles that the car deserved if really driven properly. But then Andy did know how to drive properly... and I'm probably a wimp.

It's only been out once this year (apart from going the six miles to Stirling for G-techniq treatment) and that was over a route called "The Duke's pass" - google it. It's maybe 15 miles (most of that is 3rd gear back to back hairpins) and whilst I managed to make my daughter and I car-sick, I also wore a massive, massive, massive grin - in fact I'm still smiling thinking about it.  I guess that after these nine years I can maybe consider myself able to drive! Perhaps a 110 mile daily round trip along A & B roads in my mini cooper has something to do with it ;-) although it's really nothing like that Atom.

Moved on from the drinks industry and after five years abroad (one of the reasons for the lack of use), I've been back in Scotland for a few years but only did about 300 miles last year, 100 of that was to get the MOT!

Look me up if you're planning a road trip over / up here - it'd be great to meet up again.

Alastair.

Scottsman

Post by Scottsman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:17 pm

A potential sale has just fallen through...

Thought I'd add the first couple of years of the service history. It continues like this up to the new MOT a couple of weeks ago - no advisories. Having discussed the sale with Simon, I'm reducing the price to £22,995.

16/03/05
Full service by factory, as required. Note that the car was a demonstrator for a couple of months.

16/04/05
Optimate III battery conditioner fitted.

01/07/05
1,739 miles - Oil and filter change

27/08/05 to 16/09/05
Checked everything as per annual service. Nothing needed replaced.

21-22/01/06
2,730 miles Annual service inc:
Checked everything on service schedule with the following changes / replacements:
Oil and filter changed
Transmission oil changed
Suspension joints lubed.
Air-filter cleaned

02/03/06 Chassis touch-up paint (like tip-ex) arrived from factory.

27/04/06
Replaced rear brake pads as nearside rear brake disc was not shiny all the way across. Factory recommended taking brakes apart and replacing pads. Old pads hardly used!
Replaced rear brake pads as nearside rear brake disc was not shiny

11/06/06 3,209 miles
Wash, clean and pamper the car.
Lubed all suspension joints.
Replaced rubber ‘O’ ring from removable steering wheel.
Touched up chassis here and there.

19/08/06 4,506 Annual service:
Checked everything on service schedule with the following changes / replacements:
Oil and filter changed
Transmission oil not changed as looked like new (discussed first with factory)
Suspension joints lubed.

05/09/06
Wing mirrors upgraded (Motrax Mirallys)

11/09/06 4,940 miles
Near-Side Rear suspension taken apart, bell-crank re-greased and reassembled.

18/09/06 4,940 miles
Off-Side Rear suspension taken apart, bell-crank re-greased and reassembled.

29 & 30/09/06 4,940 miles
Offside and nearside front suspension taken apart, bell-crank re-greased and reassembled.

01/10/06
Nut / bolt torque settings now available from the factory. Printed and checked the car over to these torques during October.

02/03/07 5,300 miles
Work undertaken at the Ariel factory:
Full factory service with the following specifics:
Oil & filter change
Transmission oil change
New (upgraded) rear brake master cylinder (to the revised size now fitted to new cars).
Brake fluid change.
Engine coolant change
Outboard suspension joints replaced – front only required.

That's the service history for the first two years of the car's life and given that I've covered 1300 miles in the past 3 years and it's had three oil changes (one per year), you can probably tell that this car has been well looked after.

Get in contact if you're interested.

Alastair.