stoopid F1 car question

WorkingOnIt

stoopid F1 car question

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:55 pm

What do the tube and antenna on the F1 front panel do?
Attachments
ferrari-f1.jpg
ferrari-f1.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
ferrari-f1 a.jpg
ferrari-f1 a.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 1616 times

benyeats

Re: stoopid F1 car question

Post by benyeats » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:57 pm

That antenna is most likely for the driver to pits radio (speech). 

Can't see the tube in enough detail to figure out what it does but they do often have aircraft style pitot tubes to measure air speed so possibly that but looks in the wrong orientation.

There will be another antenna somewhere for the car to pits telemetry data, I know a lot about those ;)

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:10 am

Which antenna? The long metal one or the short black one?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:24 am

That thing looks like it has a mower deck under it.. :D

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:50 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Can't see the tube in enough detail to figure out what it does but they do often have aircraft style pitot tubes to measure air speed so possibly that but looks in the wrong orientation.

[/quote]

That is the right orientation for a pitot tube. Facing forward into the airflow.
Attachments
pitot_tube_diagram.jpg
pitot_tube_diagram.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:43 am

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]

[/quote]

That is the right orientation for a pitot tube. Facing forward into the airflow.

[/quote]

The one on the car looks like it is pointing upwards rather than parallel to the surface on which it is mounted as per aircraft installations.

The third antenna could be the telemetry antenna, although I doubt it as the frequency used is typically much higher and it is not mounted there on Ferrari's competitor's car ;)  Another guess might be the FIA safety system that lets drivers know the safety car is out or if yellow flags are being waved.

Ben

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:16 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
The one on the car looks like it is pointing upwards rather than parallel to the surface on which it is mounted as per aircraft installations.

[/quote]

Most likely an optical illusion due to camera angle. Can't think what else it would be other than the pitot tube.

There are definitely 2 antennae be hind it.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Maybe some sort of vent?  The front gunner has to get fresh air....

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 pm

that is taken from the gran Turismo game, that is the 06 ferrari, so maybe the 09 car has dirrerent aeriels.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:59 pm

[quote="benyeats"]

The third antenna could be the telemetry antenna, although I doubt it as the frequency used is typically much higher and it is not mounted there on Ferrari's competitor's car ;)  Another guess might be the FIA safety system that lets drivers know the safety car is out or if yellow flags are being waved.

Ben
[/quote]
Would you stop  ;) and guessing! Just tell us all your F1 secrets already.  :D ;D
(Its not like the F1 teams monitor this board  ;))

fiesty

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:42 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="benyeats"]

[/quote]

Most likely an optical illusion due to camera angle. Can't think what else it would be other than the pitot tube.

There are definitely 2 antennae be hind it.
[/quote]

I am stuck as to what else it could be but on other F1 cars I have known and loved it has been mounted much closer to horizontal with a longer section for getting the air in.

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]

Would you stop  ;) and guessing! Just tell us all your F1 secrets already. 
[/quote]

No ;)

Cheers

Ben

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Dext is absolutely correct, the image is originally from the gran Turismo prologue, which I hadn't realized when I posted it, so accuracy not guaranteed.

I did find this:

and these, from 2006 and current, with more complicated looking pitot rigs:

Pitot tube was my speculation, what with the publicity they are getting in the Air France crash.  It's interesting that the F1 aerodynamics are so sophisticated that more info than ground speed is necessary.

I particularly noticed the projections during last weekend's Turkish Grand Prix with the shadows from them rotating around the front panel.  I trust the shadows are less annoying from the driver's height.

It kind of suprised me to see a projecting antenna.  It seems a little low-tech.  I might have expected something built into the shell or intake structure.
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyLUFC

Post by AndyLUFC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:16 am

Amazing the amount of aero shite removed for '09. Way better looking now IMO apart from the massive end plates.

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... e_barc.jpg[/img]

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:50 am

[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
It kind of suprised me to see a projecting antenna.  It seems a little low-tech.  I might have expected something built into the shell or intake structure.
[/quote]

Some of the antenna probably are (definately are on at least 1 current F1 car) However I imagine it is all about packaging and:

i)  The FIA yellow flag / safety car warning device was introduced in a hurry so is likely to be somewhat of a lash up
ii)  The driver comms box is likely to be behind the steering wheel so having the antenna nearby saves routing a cable, also you will get better performance from said antenna with a shorter cable run.

Ben

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 am

They could be designing a new refueling rig to speed it up by doing it on the move.  ;D

By the way, I thought that looked like one of Jenson's old helmets behind the cockpit . . . .

. . . . but it's probably just R2D2.  ;)

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)