2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to buy

fiestycolumbian

2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to buy

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:38 am

I am planning to buy a new car soon, as I am giving my Prius to my brother(who just got his license), so I am torn between 3 cars. Its a daily driver, it has to be fun, and not too expensive. I have narrowed down to three:

2009 Nissan GT-R: I want this car the most, but is also quite expensive. With markup and msrp, I am looking at least 80k. The technology is second to none, and its probably the best daily supercar out there.3800lbs

2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X MR: Probably best bang for the buck. AWD, dual clutch gearbox, 2.0l turbo w/300hp, xenon lights, recaro seats, keyless entry, and 30gb navi, etc. All for 35-37k. 3600lbs

2005 Lotus Elise: Looking for a used one, with low mileage for about 30k. I am spoiled with light weight, so I am really considering this as my daily driver. Might be hard to get in and out of at 6'1", but the fun trade-off is worth it. Plus with gas prices going through the roof, and spoiled with 50 mpg with the Prius, getting 30 mpg from a fun car and great brand like Lotus really appeals to me. 1950lbs.

What to choose?!! ??? ??? ??? I have such good taste that I have confused myself. :P :P

Fiesty

gstatom

Re: 2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to

Post by gstatom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:52 am

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I have such good taste that I have confused myself.[/quote]

Agreed!
With those choices, you can't lose. :tu:

CalScot

Re: 2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to buy

Post by CalScot » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:53 am

I wil sell you my 996 convertible for close to the Elise price. It's faster, plus you can put the roof down and pose :) Plus it does about 175 :o
And yeah, its been driven hard, but it's well loved and cared for and dealer serviced. Brand new factory gearbox and clutch from Newport Porsche. Better the devil you know!

benyeats

Re: 2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to

Post by benyeats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:17 am

Two comments

i)  Christ cars are cheap stateside
ii) Get the Elise or Cal Scots 996

Ben

Mr.Woolery

Re: 2009 Nissan GT-R or 2009 Mitsubishi Evolution X or 2005 Lotus Elise,which to buy

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:30 am

If you can afford it, go with the GT-R.  If money is a concern, go with a slightly used Elise/Exige (though I'd choose an Exige) and take advantage of their immense depreciation curve.

I wish I had the scratch for an Exige :drool:

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 am

[quote="CalScot"]
I wil sell you my 996 convertible for close to the Elise price. It's faster, plus you can put the roof down and pose :) Plus it does about 175 :o
And yeah, its been driven hard, but it's well loved and cared for and dealer serviced. Brand new factory gearbox and clutch from Newport Porsche. Better the devil you know!
[/quote]
I would love to buy your 996, and I dont mind the hard miles, but I fear the maintenance on it. I know how much that gearbox cost, and I definitely cant afford that.  :-\

As much as I love the GT-R, it is way out of my price range, so thats kinda out.

Down to an Elise or a new Evo X MR. It all depends the status of the used 05 Elises out there and if the options, price, color, and health of the car match what I am looking for. And I am one picky dude ;D, so it could take a while.
I am really torn between a manual, and a dual clutch auto, both have their pros and cons, and as a daily driver, the Evo makes more sense.
The Evo has all the cool options and 5 seats, whereas the Elise is a barebones car that is half the weight. I am back to square one again. I guess if I find an Elise that meets my criteria, I will go for that, otherwise I will get an Evo X MR when it comes out in summer.

Fiesty

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:36 am

The Evo and the Elise are two of the top 5 most expensive cars to insure in the USA, be prepared for this!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 am

Get the 'sensible' four seater - the X.

Rationale is that you already have a fast two seater impractical car (if you still have your Atom), so get something complementary rather than something similar which you won't drive as much.

If you don't have the Atom, get the Porsche not the Lotus, as the Elise is too easy to compare to the Atom (probably unfavourably)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:49 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

Rationale is that you already have a fast two seater impractical car (if you still have your Atom), so get something complementary rather than something similar which you won't drive as much.

If you don't have the Atom, get the Porsche not the Lotus, as the Elise is too easy to compare to the Atom (probably unfavourably)
[/quote]

Like so many people have said so many times, I hate to agree with Bruce! :laugh:  But what he says here makes perfect sense and is pretty much what I was thinking.  Smart guy, that Bruce.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:18 pm

And good taste in scotch, too, eh Bruce? (AtomFest knowledge). :tu:

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:52 pm

I've just left a depoist for the new GTR, getting it next May ;D, it's supposed to be the bees knees, and with 4 seats!

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 pm

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
I've just left a depoist for the new GTR, getting it next May ;D, it's supposed to be the bees knees, and with 4 seats!
[/quote]
Congrats, hope you can wait that long!! I wish I could get it :'(

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]

[/quote]
Great advice. Although my heart tells me Lotus, the atom is too similar, so a 4-door, awd, DSG setup that the X has, is vastly different and driveable on a daily basis. The problem is, Mitsu says summer for the MR, and I dont know if I can wait that long  :-\. My brother is begging for a car!! Haha, kids, always wanting things now!

[quote="Karl"]
The Evo and the Elise are two of the top 5 most expensive cars to insure in the USA, be prepared for this!
[/quote]
Havent had an accident in the 10 years that I have been driving, have a completely clean record, so I dont think for me at least it will to be that much more to insure. Maybe I am wrong, we shall see. Having fun is more important than a few extra bucks on insurance though, so its a non-issue for me. I have been driving a Prius for almost 4 years now, and I am bloody sick of it!! Way too slow, especially when I got the atom. Time to give the beginner a slow car, and put me in a fast new one!! ;D ;D

Fiesty

John H

Post by John H » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:31 pm

buy the mitsi and the nissan.................I am seriously considering it as I cant decide between em. Got my first atom coming next week, so it may all prove pointless as they are banished to the category of "also rans" by that weird little car with no bits, and I may stick with my nissan micra 1.0 (38bhp) instead

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:40 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[quote="CalScot"]
[/quote]
I would love to buy your 996, and I dont mind the hard miles, but I fear the maintenance on it. I know how much that gearbox cost, and I definitely cant afford that.  :-\

[/quote]

But its already had a new gearbox so won't be needing another.  Porsches are fairly bullet proof car I say go for it you only live once

Ben