A new toy...

kaygee

Re: A new toy...

Post by kaygee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Ross

sorry to pick your brains- but looking to purchase an old classic 911 (1970-75'ish)
Just started looking, so haven't got too much info- i have about £30-40k to spend. In your opinion, what model should i be looking for and what should i be able to buy for that kind of money. seen a few rs's on the net and they look lovely but very expensive- also seen a few replica rebuilds of the rs- not sure if they are worth the money or not. Looking for something which won't depreciate and to be used as 3rd car.

any info will be greatly appreciated.

Karl

datom

Post by datom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Did anyone see the old 911's on display at the Autosport show?? A retro looking stand, but didn't really know what it was all about ???

Got very excited when list prices stated £4k...  :D ... then realised it was the original price...  >:(

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:13 pm

[quote="kaygee"]
Hi Ross

sorry to pick your brains- but looking to purchase an old classic 911 (1970-75'ish)
Just started looking, so haven't got too much info- i have about £30-40k to spend. In your opinion, what model should i be looking for and what should i be able to buy for that kind of money. seen a few rs's on the net and they look lovely but very expensive- also seen a few replica rebuilds of the rs- not sure if they are worth the money or not. Looking for something which won't depreciate and to be used as 3rd car.

Karl
[/quote]

You wont be paying anywhere near £30k, look at Autotrader or a car based online seliing thingamajig that is based in your region...

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi Karl,

No problem, your best for these questions is to join the DDK forums here which is what I did:-
http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/index.php

For £40k you could be looking at a very decent 2.7RS replica - however personally, while I've nothing against the reps, I would prefer a more original classic.  You could probably get a 2.4S for that kind of money, but you might be better doing what I decided to do - go for a more basic T or E, have cheaper fun in that for a while and see how you get on with them.  A good original one is unlikely to drop in price (famous last words of course) so you should be able to upgrade later (by which time an S will probably be about £100k! ;))

A good 2.4 T or E will be between £15k and £20k (I paid £17,500), an S will probably start at around £30k for an average one.

To be honest though, I'm not an expert and the DDK forum is by far an away your best source for information on these older 911s.  Remember to get a 1972 or earlier car though as they're tax free!  There is a nice looking 2.4E in Chartreuse Green on there for sale at the moment that I would have looked at had I not purchased my T a few days before.

Get Peter Morgan's book on classic 911's as well as it's very useful.

Cheers, Ross.

[quote="kaygee"]
Hi Ross

Karl
[/quote]

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:32 pm

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
You wont be paying anywhere near £30k, look at Autotrader or a car based online seliing thingamajig that is based in your region...
[/quote]

Oh and Karl, avoid tips from 'some' people like the plague....

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks Ross- that gives me plenty to go on.

all the best

Karl

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 pm

just spent past hour on the site you recommended. The green 1973 911e looks lovely- never thought i would say a pea gren car looks lovely.
Wish i had seen it in a few weeks time- surely can't buy the first car i see!!!!

will be responsible adult, do my homework and take my time- not many 2.4s's for sale though.

Karl

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:19 pm

[quote="kaygee"]
just spent past hour on the site you recommended. The green 1973 911e looks lovely- never thought i would say a pea gren car looks lovely.
Wish i had seen it in a few weeks time- surely can't buy the first car i see!!!!

will be responsible adult, do my homework and take my time- not many 2.4s's for sale though.

Karl
[/quote]

Yeah, it can be quite a long process - but you'll find the people on the forum very helpful so post up there that you're looking for something and go from there.  Key thing with these old 911s is bodywork and history as they rot like buggery.

Main thing is to get to see as many as possible - you'll get a much better idea what you're after with the more you see.  By the way, don't worry about whether it's RHD or LHD, makes no odds although RHD cars will be more expensive.

I'd definitely go and see the green 911.

Cheers, Ross.

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:01 pm

cheers Ross

will keep you informed of my progress.

Karl