Porsche Cayenne Turbo

benyeats

Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Post by benyeats » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Had a go of one of the above today amazing car, quite hilarious that something so big can go so fast and stop so well.  Utterly savage acceleration until way way above the speed limit (on a private road of course) The contrast between that and the last SUV I drove which was the Cadillac Escalade I hired at Atomfest is black and white.  Now where did I put that £80k....

Ben

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:26 pm

Big diff in price between those two.^
I have to agree,the Cayenne is OK for a pork-O-matic SUV.Even the X5 is acceptable.
BUT, there is no getting around that extra 3Klbs of mass they are hauling  :P
It's still a truck.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:43 pm

With a baby on the way, we've been looking for a replacement vehicle, and have test driven several SUV's recently, including a Cayenne S.  The Cayenne was the most expensive of those that we drove, and I could see why, it was faster, handled better, and was quieter than the others.  I couldn't imagine what a Turbo would be like. 

In the used market, Cayenne Turbos are surprisingly cheap.  This is because they've had a lot of problems, especially with the 2004's.  Their poor gas mileage can't help either. 

Poor gas mileage and quality concerns aside, I consider the Turbo Cayenne an awesome vehicle that has no equal. 

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:18 pm

[quote="dp35"]
n the used market, Cayenne Turbos are surprisingly cheap.  This is because they've had a lot of problems, especially with the 2004's.  Their poor gas mileage can't help either. 

Poor gas mileage and quality concerns aside, I consider the Turbo Cayenne an awesome vehicle that has no equal. 
[/quote]

I was looking into the possibility of getting a Cayenne Turbo as my Atom's towing vehicle not too long ago and this was the advice people were giving in the Cayenne forum.  Basically, stay away from anything earlier than a 2006 and especially anything earlier than a 2005. 

With a towing capacity of 7700 pounds and the Cayenne being about 14" shorter and a lot more fun than my Dodge truck, it would ride well in the lower bunk of a stacker trailer with the Atom and a tow dolly on top and a motorhome built on a Class 8 semi truck chassis out front pulling it all.  The Cayenne could then be used for getting around town, going for groceries, or the occasional track day with the Atom in tow.  I should have some news on the motorhome front in the not too distant future!  Santa is being good to himself this year.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:55 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
Big diff in price between those two.^
I have to agree,the Cayenne is OK for a pork-O-matic SUV.Even the X5 is acceptable.
BUT, there is no getting around that extra 3Klbs of mass they are hauling  :P
It's still a truck.
[/quote]

Slightly tongue in cheek comparing it with the Caddy, I am sure it is 3 times the price.

Worth noting that Porsche test drivers lapped the Nurnberg ring faster than a Boxster S in a Cayenne Turbo !

They are pretty cheap used here mainly due to shocking gas milage, although that is probably less of a concern in the US.  Main problems I know of is they literally eat tyres  .

Ben

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:22 pm

When the powers that be build a 400hp SUV that weighs less than 3k lbs. I may be interested.

No,not really...I have no use for one :-\   

At least the Cayenne has respectable every day performance. :tu:

dp35

Post by dp35 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:34 pm

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
I was looking into the possibility of getting a Cayenne Turbo as my Atom's towing vehicle not too long ago and this was the advice people were giving in the Cayenne forum.  Basically, stay away from anything earlier than a 2006 and especially anything earlier than a 2005.  [/quote]

I've spent a fair amount of time reading the Cayenne forum, and it is by far the most negative about its subject car of all that I've experienced on the web.  Its hard to ignore the horror stories and angry owners.  On the other hand, it seems that most of the negativity is coming from a small number of disgruntled owners, so it should be taken with a grain of salt. 

I also plan to use whatever I end up buying as a tow vehicle for the Atom, as well as my wife's daily driver/baby hauler.  The Cayenne is the best of the bunch in terms of performance and comfort, but the worst in terms of reputation.  The Cayenne is also the most expensive, not only to buy, but to maintain (tires, brakes, etc), and gets the worst mileage.  Basically, the Cayenne is one of those vehicles that doesn't make a lot of sense, and people buy it because they love it. 

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:27 pm

[quote="dp35"]
the Cayenne is one of those vehicles that doesn't make a lot of sense, and people buy it because they love it. 
[/quote]

That is a good summary, first time I floored the throttle I was wearing a grin the size of Cuba I was doing silly speeds in something the size of a house !

Ben

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:32 am

"That is a good summary, first time I floored the throttle I was wearing a grin the size of Cuba I was doing silly speeds in something the size of a house !"

Well,if that's all you want,buy a Hummer!

They are all silly in my eyes.

Some are faster,and some..well,just more silly.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:53 am

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
"That is a good summary, first time I floored the throttle I was wearing a grin the size of Cuba I was doing silly speeds in something the size of a house !"

Well,if that's all you want,buy a Hummer!

They are all silly in my eyes.

Some are faster,and some..well,just more silly.
[/quote]

You can't get a hummer that can do 0-60 in 5.0 can you ?  Even if you can I can't imagine it will handle or stop like a Porsche

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:54 am

ask Arnold Schwarzeneger, he has five Hummers, and1 ex military, i am sure a couple can get 0 - 60 in 5 seconds...

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:57 am

There is one in town that has a Vortech supercharger on it with other mods.

Like I said,silly and more silly. :P