New Ariel motorcycle?

wisp

Re: New Ariel motorcycle?

Post by wisp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:34 pm

[quote="Driver"]
I think if Ariel were to "do" a bike it would need to be in conjunction with one of the bigger manufacturers.  Like a limited edition of something else where Simon took what they have and added some Ariel cues, badges, etc... Otherwise we just have another Indian on our hands. Honda would be a natural fit.
[/quote]

Boring. All you would end up with is a big bike without the inspirational design that sets the Atom apart from other cars. I think Bruce said that Ariel wanted to make interesting bikes. Not re-badged mass produced ones.

At least the Britten is not run of the mill. How many other bikes do you know of use the engine as the frame because there is no frame. It weighs only 138kg and develops 166 HP @ 11,800 RPM. For a 90's bike it was a real kickarse machine. It's a shame such a brilliant designer died so young (45) of cancer. Only 10 bikes were ever made.

I think I would not be the only one to lose respect for Ariel's design innovation if they went down the road of re-badging some mass produced Honda.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:41 pm

Yamaha have tried some interesting stuff, too - GTS1000 for example:

Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:56 pm

It still has a frame, like most others, though  :P

;)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:06 pm

there is a newish company called Motoczyszc (forgive spelling), and they try to make retro sports bikes, i do like the buell and harley sports bikes...

daytonatom

Post by daytonatom » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:20 am

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
What would YOU want from a hypothetical Ariel bike?
[/quote]

Four wheels  :laugh:
[/quote]

Personally I think John has got it right.

Solving the urban congestion/emissions problem is where I think Simon should be focussing. In my opinion, all these modern 'city cars' fail to truly address this problem as they don't really reduce the width of there footprint compared with big cars. Furthermore, many - if not most - cars that one sees in an urban environment are sole occupant. What the world needs is a vehicle that limits a sole-occupant driver to the same road footprint as a motorcycle. Problem is that most car drivers would never go near a motorcyle, so what we need is a four-wheeler that meets this criterion. I suggest that Simon should base his motorcycle on the Piaggio MP3 (twin wheels up front) and replace the rear end with a similar twin-wheel arrangement, thereby keeping the vehicle based on gyroscopic principles for steering. I do believe that there are some experimental vehicles out there based on this, but I suggest that Simon would be more than capable of bringing something like this to market.

DFext37 Fielding

MCN ARIEL

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:49 pm

MadMaxedAtom

Re: MCN ARIEL

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:32 pm

It won't sell over here,guaranteed. :td:

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:08 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
It won't sell over here,guaranteed. :td:
[/quote]
I would think that's a little premature since it's just a pencil sketch at this point. The Ariel name has a long history. You'd be surprised at how many Brit's live over here who might buy one or the many who love something new and exciting.
No mention of an engine supplier either. If it was Harley Davidson, that would put a whole new spin on it! It could be Ducati, another spin, or Triumph, or maybe a new original design? Of course they might stick with Honda. Not quite as sexy as a Ducati, but look at the Atom! There are so many ways it could go.
One thing is for sure, Simon wont make a piece of crap.

Something tells me it might have a variation of the direct gearbox drive Rotrex Supercharger TTS just designed for the Harley V-rod ;) I think I want one!

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:53 pm

I just don't see it competing in price for value received with the bikes currently on the market.

Most bike riders have never even heard of an Ariel M/C,never mind seen one,so there will be no brand loyalty.Well,maybe a few Atom owners might buy one,out of respect.

although it's not as silly as that electric two wheeled thing they are trying to peddle.. over at Brammo :td:

I'm sure it won't be a POS,but I would not bet one penny on it's future.

ross

Post by ross » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:51 pm

I quite like it, will certainly be interesting to see if it progresses at all.

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
Most bike riders have never even heard of an Ariel M/C,never mind seen one,so there will be no brand loyalty.
[/quote]

Heathen!  ;)

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:40 pm

that reminds me i must get the pic of the Ariel Motorcycle parts garage in Clapham...

DFext37 Fielding

Ariel Atom Bike, Ariel CBR Bike, Ariel supercharge dbike?

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:10 pm

1 minute into the vid...

Edited to remove capitals from title.
Last edited by DFext37 Fielding on Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Re: ARIEL ATOM BIKE, ARIEL CBR BIKE, ARIEL SUPERCHARGED BIKE?

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 pm

I vote none of the above.

The Japs are the motorcycle kings when it comes to power for value spent.

Can you say Hayabusa?

I an not againts innovation,but just being different won't be enough to get motorcyclists to part with big money.

...a supercharged single? I dunno.... I do wish the Creator luck though... :tu: :tu:

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:06 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]

Can you say Hayabusa?

I an not againts innovation,but just being different won't be enough to get motorcyclists to part with big money.

...a supercharged single? I dunno.... I do wish the Creator luck though... :tu: :tu:

[/quote]

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:07 pm

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]

Can you say Hayabusa?

[/quote]
[/quote]

I would rather have the ZX14r thanks...