MotoGP 2007 and into 2008

DFext37 Fielding

MotoGP 2007 and into 2008

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:33 pm

What will happen next year in 800cc MotoGP?

new riders on different machinery, new machinery, the 2nd year of 800cc.
So what did MotoGP learn this year? - well, Casey Stoner stopped crashing, never doubt old Foxes such as Alex Barros and oh! Valentino Rossi IS human along with HRC (Honda Racing) NOT getting the bike right, which is a first for Honda, similarly Yamaha pointlessly experimenting with engines and setup, and losing out - Big Time.

Right from the start it was easy to tell that the Ducati - Stoner partnership was going to work well, it was also easy to see that the surprise packages to be contesting near the front were not necessarily going to be Honda or Yamaha, but Kawasaki and Suzuki. Very surprised to see Team KR not being competitive at all, and Ilmor pulling out just after the first race - may these 2 teams come back stronger and more determined.

Riders that shone were Casey Stoner, John Hopkins, Chris Vermeulen, Randy De Puniet, Dani Pedrosa and for me British Rider Sylvain Guintoli. Wilcard riders progresed well during the season replacing sick / injured / sacked riders such as Anthony West making an appearance for the 2nd half of 2007 (and signed for 2008) for Kawasaki for the Self Injured Olivier Jacque, who is now the Kawasaki Racing Test and Development rider. Chaz Davies who replaced Alex Hofmann no less than 4 times, and gained experience and he could well be part of Ducati's testing program for the next year or 2, a great prospect for Welsh Motorcycle Racing. Kurtis Roberts who stood in for his Fathers team for about 10 races, after his brother said the bike was unrideable. Japanese and American wildcard riders impressed at thier races aswell.

Races that impressed: Qatar Round 1: Casey won by a couple of seconds, he led from start to finish with Valentino Rossi not being able to get past Casey. This trend continued throughout the season, and at France round 4 - Suzuki got thier just reward, a win, a faultless ride from Chris to win and help him to 6th place in the final championship standings, and Suzuki to 4thin the teams championship (2 points from 2nd place). The wet races helped the racing, and so did the underdogs such as Yamaha tech 3 and D'antin Pramac Ducati getting some wonderful results - Sylvain Guintoli raced to 4th in the wet Japanese race at Motegi Stands out for me.

All year long though, it seemed that Ducati were stronger at each event, and that Honda were catching up to the slowing Yamaha's, at the final round this was confirmed, when Valentino Rossi crashed in qualifying, broke a few bones in his hand, and while in 13th in the race enough for 2nd for himslef and team, the bike went pop, he came in retired, and he slipped to 3rd in championship, and team to 4th, being pipped in both championships by Honda and Suzuki.

The Loss of Colin Mcrae and Norick Abe shocked the MotoGP and Motorports world during the season.

So who is new for 2008?

James Toseland 2004 and 2007 WSBK champion, finally races the Tech 3 Yamaha next year with Colin Edwards, in a way, a dream team.

Well up from the 250cc class are; Andrea Dovizioso (Honda Factory Team), Jorge Lorenzo (Yamaha Factory Team) and Alex De Angelis (Gresini Honda).

Main MotoGP team rider changes: Shinya Nakano from Konica Honda to Gresini Honda (very surprised by that Move), Marco Melandri from Gresini Honda to Ducati, Toni Elias from Gresini Honda to D'antin Ducati, Loris Capirossi from Ducati to Rizla Suzuki, John Hopkins from Rizla Suzuki to Kawasaki (surprised really), Randy De Puniet from Kawasaki to LCR Honda, Sylvain Guintoli from Yamaha Tech 3 to D'antin Ducati, Colin Edwards from Fiat Yamaha to Tech 3 Yamaha.

Riders Leaving / Retiring.

Alex Barros retiring from Motorcycle Racing (we think), age 37, a relatively sucessful rider who has been aroung for nealry 23 years.

Makoto Tamada, i would have thought he would go to Japanese Superbikes or something Similar, challenged Valentino Rossi in 2004, but it went downhill in 2005, dominated in Japanese Racing classes before making move to MotoGP.

Alex Hofmann, was sacked because he had 'no motivation' despite having his best season in MotoGP, he will probably go to a goodish team in WSBK.

Olivier Jacque, retired but still testing and developing, didn't really have a good season, had more crashes than laps raced, but will be missed by the Paddock, was 250cc champ in 2000 (by 1 point and 100 yards).

Carlos Checa, moving on the 35 year old to take James Tosland's bike in WSBK with Ten Kate Honda next season.

Technical Changes.

The only change that is rumoured might be that a control tyre Bridgestone might come into play and follow F1 and WSBK rules. Valentino doesn't like it, the rest don't really mind.

Qoute of the year goes to Carlos Checa.

Carlos was asked a question on the line of, how has the bike been for you in your last MotoGP season? carlos replied with the man racing his bike next year siting exactly next to him ' the bike has been a piece of shi*, and i wish Randy all the best in fixing the problems with it '

Next year will be a corker.
Attachments
MOTOgp2007.jpg
MOTOgp2007.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 841 times
Last edited by DFext37 Fielding on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NathanE

Re: MotoGP 2007 and into 2008

Post by NathanE » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Dex, did you write that ot copy it from somewhere else?

If you wrote it I am really impressed (sorry, I know that sounds condescending, but it's not meant to be at all), thanks for sharing. 

If not, thanks for sharing  ;)

By the way, having never watched any motorcycle racing before, your frequent posts on MotoGP got me watching a few weeks ago when I saw it was on and I have to admit that it was pretty exciting racing, much more so than the F1 stuff. 

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:03 pm

i wrote it at my dads, saved it to my hotmail in drafts, went home and finished it off...

about 55 mins in all to do it (and find a good picture)

which race did you watch Toad, was it the wet race in Japan, or at Malaysia?
Last edited by DFext37 Fielding on Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm impressed, too, but sceptical... Only four spelling mistakes in all that text, yet three spelling mistakes in that short post?

Do you use a spell checker in Hotmail, Dex?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:27 pm

well, i have vista so i can spell check, but i forgot to, and i am typing with my body sideways, it is difficult watching scrapheap challenge and typing at the same time...

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:45 am

Can't remember the location, but it was wet, so I reckon Japan then.  It's good to see racing with real potential for overtaking and the cut and thrust of side by side action rather than everything coming down to the start and pit stops. 

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:47 pm

yep, the wet race was Casey Stoner winning the title. Valentino Rossi retiring, Kwak getting the best result of the year, and the British rider Sylvain Guintoli getting 4th, that was a quality race...

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:36 pm

That was the one

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:06 pm

glad you tuned into that one, but the 1st race nest year is under lights, in the night at Qatar...

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:33 pm

just a bit off an update...

Alex Barros HAS retired from racing and will be sadly missed.

Makoto Tamada has made the switch to WSBK with Kawasaki Racing, Team KR have been left on the officially onfirmed list, but with no engine manufacturer or riders, it is rumoured that they could do a deal with Ducati, which would mean 4 Factory Ducatis and one at the back of the field...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:35 am

Great season for Casey but nothing like previous ones for the racing. I just hope the other teams catch up for 2008 and compete with Ducati and we get back to proper racing. I think the 800 class has ruined it somewhat so far but we'll see next year. Its a bit like F1 that you need momentum to get passed people as against the old 1000cc bikes that had ludicrous amounts of power to play with. Rossi on Bridgestone and teammate on Michelin - nightmare for the team !!

Lets just hope Mr Toseland can be up at the front - now that would make it a good season.

Cant wait for it to start anyway.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:09 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Great season for Casey but nothing like previous ones for the racing. I just hope the other teams catch up for 2008 and compete with Ducati and we get back to proper racing. I think the 800 class has ruined it somewhat so far but we'll see next year. Its a bit like F1 that you need momentum to get passed people as against the old 1000cc bikes that had ludicrous amounts of power to play with. Rossi on Bridgestone and teammate on Michelin - nightmare for the team !!

Lets just hope Mr Toseland can be up at the front - now that would make it a good season.

Cant wait for it to start anyway.
[/quote]

erm, Honda f'''ked up the first half of the season, Yamaha f'''ked up thier first half of the season, Kawasaki and Suzuki got the season right, and Dani Pedrosa was right up Caseys arse near the end, it is just that Ducati got it completely spot on...

Toseland will not be up the sharp end, he will do another James Ellison, be presented with a good chance and probably blow it, my money is on the other British Rider Sylvain Guintoli doing well...

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 pm

I dont agree. Pedrosa's last 4 races were: Not classified, 4th, 3rd and then 1st. The last win wasnt exactly a fight as Casey had no need. Pedrosa wasnt even close to the Dukes - Casey had won the championship 2/3rds of the way through and didnt have to even try after that. NC, 4th, 3rd although good results, was hardly pushing Casey at all.

The racing was rubbish compared to other years - the head of Motogp admitted the same which is why single tyre rules were debated.

I just hope next year is better.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:42 pm

Valetino Rossi was the only rider who wanted a single tyre rule, but GP bosses didn't want to be gay like the Superbike guys...

Rossi will struggle emmensely, and i think Dovi and George Lawrence will outsmart him

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I agree I think Rossi has shot himself in the foot slightly with the tyre deal. They are talking about having a wall in the pit garage between him and Lorenzo !! But to be fair the bosses were considering the single tyre rule - it wasnt JUST Rossi.