Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

KK

Re: Caparo T1

Post by KK » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Some pics from yesterday:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bruce.fielding/CaparoT1
[/quote]
Jon, how did you manage to be featured on almost half of those pictures (including your hairy parts :o on the one with the plane). Well, at least you did not break down I assume ... ;D

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:46 pm

Hey guys,

sort of concur with Jon and Bruce. It really is something in the flesh but it really really is fast, proper racing car fast.

The white car did most of the running and it was using slicks.  It also had the new engine which is 3.5 liters and 550-575bhp.  The red car, prototype one was using the original engine I think which was 2.4 liter and supercharged.  There were lots of problems but these things happen.

They do sound really unhappy at slow speeds like a racing car.  but when they clear their throats it's something else.

Lets be clear here an Atom any Atom would be massacered on track by the T1. But then so it should be.  There is no shame in that.

Bottom line would still love one but it has to be reliable otherwise what is the point.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:59 pm

Car online had nothing but good to say.  Probably were at the bathroom when the cars were breaking down
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_driv ... 761&page=1

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:04 pm

No they got out first .:-[

Does show you though beware what you read.

Jon B and I were wondering how the day would be reported in the press.  It's all about headlines I guess.

Strange some of the questions that were asked in the press conference as well.

jon b

Post by jon b » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:04 pm

from a visual perspective, the area I dislike the most is the back of the front wheel arches which hold the mirrors.

Its kinda like - now we need to minimise drag from the front wheels so lets just extend the arches.  Reality is..... they look awkward and like something you'd see on a bad kit car - not akin with the rest of the vehicle aesthetics at all.  From a practicality perspective - how the F do you adjust them once in the car.  Two wrongs don't make a right

Just extend the wheel arches into a nice line boys and put some proper mirrors on that you can adjust

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:05 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Car online had nothing but good to say.  Probably were at the bathroom when the cars were breaking down
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_driv ... 761&page=1

[/quote]

They also say "The closest experience is gunning a supercharged Ariel Atom"

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 pm

I agree Jon B. Thats the part that looked out of place to me as well. Made me feel like the fenders were designed by a person from one of the long bodied Porsche or Lola teams (circa 60s/70s), the rest by a modern F1 team... Bruce does at least have picts of the 2 up configuration, although even then its still looks like a very tight space. Better watch the Big Macs if you want to be a passenger in the T1 i guess.

Still a very sexy car...

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:14 am

Video here: 

I'm happy that it sounds like it should, rather than like most V8's.

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:00 pm

I still amazed at how 2 people can actually fit in that thing......

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:57 pm

It's a tight squeeze Sloppyjoe, especially for the passenger.  You will be friendly with thew driver at the end of a drive, put it like that.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:55 pm

I would guess if someone dropped their guts in such a confined space, it wouldn't be so friendly!  :td:

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm

Just wanted to put this to the top of the topics again, I LOVE IT.  :D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:31 pm

It's interesting that in Evo (August) the 3 other cars 'compared' with the Caparo T1 £225,000 were

Bugatti Vayron £872,000
Koenigseg CCXR £500,000
Ariel Atom £37,500 (Did I miss a '0' )?