Another would be Atom competitor?

Atom120

Re: Another would be Atom competitor?

Post by Atom120 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:42 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Kim - yep, I'm reasonably serious
[/quote]

Why? Will it replace the Atom, or sit between the Atom and 911 in the garage?

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:53 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
I thought KTM did offer up bikes but BMW offered up a much better package.  The Long Way Round was a great series though - the book wasn't so great, I got the feeling that they had to write it to complete their obligations (and make some more money).
[/quote]

Nope the expert from KTM said they would never do it.

Funny my view is pretty much the reverse between the book and the TV series.  The TV show looked very low budget and always started with a 15 min re-cap of the previous weeks show which was plain annoying.  Also those actor types talk about feelings a bit much for a new man like me.

Did you see the 'race to Dakar' series recently with Charlie Bloorman doing the paris - dakar race on a bike, also worth watching

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:57 am

There's a book of that out, too...

I suspect that KTM were more concerned about the issues raised if the bikes didn't cope with the travails of the travels rather than any financial constraints. Also, getting bits for a KTM would have been a lot more troublesome that a bit of Khasak welding!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:41 am

[quote="Atom120"]
Why? Will it replace the Atom, or sit between the Atom and 911 in the garage?
[/quote]

Well, I'll worry about that when I actually have a 911 and an X-BOW.  Likelihood is that I'll end up just having my Atom and the Passat.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Did you see the 'race to Dakar' series recently with Charlie Bloorman doing the paris - dakar race on a bike, also worth watching
[/quote]

No, I didn't unfortunately - I'll keep an eye out for it being repeated though.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:43 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I suspect that KTM were more concerned about the issues raised if the bikes didn't cope with the travails of the travels rather than any financial constraints. Also, getting bits for a KTM would have been a lot more troublesome that a bit of Khasak welding!
[/quote]

Yep, I think they definitely made the right choice using the BMW's anyhow - although they did look a bit heavy for some of the off-roading they did.  I guess though that reliability/durability were the main concerns by far.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:55 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

Yep, I think they definitely made the right choice using the BMW's anyhow - although they did look a bit heavy for some of the off-roading they did.  I guess though that reliability/durability were the main concerns by far.
[/quote]

I thought they were heavy, too. The guys that did the 'proper' long way round Mondo Enduro (including two guys from my old school) which insipers Euan and Charlie took Suzi 350s IIRC

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:29 pm

Slap a BMW inline 1200 in this baby and???
Attachments
44497_Front_3-4a.jpg

dogs_bolox

Post by dogs_bolox » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Does that have an engine. I think a 125cc or 250cc two-stroke motorcross engine would do nicely

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:50 pm

No engine. 
It's a so called "gravity racer"  It's a high tech soap box derby vehicle.

dogs_bolox

Post by dogs_bolox » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:57 pm

Oh, how much does it weigh. I think an engine is that would be very good. A kx125 engine produces about 38bhp and judging by how heavy it looks that would make it very fast. Even faster with a 250 in it.

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm

For a straight line, yes, (maybe) But cornering on bicycle wheels?  High c of g?

dogs_bolox

Post by dogs_bolox » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:40 pm

Ye the speed would be good but traction in corners and acceleration wouldn't be good. Accelerating on those wheels would be hard as soon as the powerband kicked in

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:15 pm

The easiest way to power it is to install these Wheels.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:42 pm

From Tom Walkinshaw (only available down under):