Another would be Atom competitor?

dingo

Re: Another would be Atom competitor?

Post by dingo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:49 pm

The orange annd black vehicle is the New Zealand Hulme F1

http://www.supercarsnz.com/

Another of very similar ilk is http://www.caparo-t1.com/
Last edited by dingo on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:19 pm

And another one - The RoadRazer

300Kg RoadRazer: 0-62mph in 3 seconds

A new sports car is about to hit the streets. Details are scarce but it's called the RoadRazer, and looks very stripped down and lightweight -- a real track animal, although it's also reckoned to be road-legal.

The chassis and bodywork will be made of carbon-fibre, suspension is more traditional with all-aluminium double wishbones all round, paddle-operating six-speed sequential gearbox allied to a Quaife diff, a dry-sumped engine, a foam-filled safety fuel cell, and push-rod operated, in-board adjustable dampers.

Weighing just 300Kg, it's calculated that its 175bhp engine will propel it to 62mph in three seconds.

Danish owner and builder Mikkel Steen Pedersen said: "Right now we've disassembled the RoadRazer because the paint shop needs to finish its work. After assembly I will send you some pictures of the RoadRazer. We've booked a stand on Autosport International 2007 in January, so that will be the first physical appearance of the RoadRazer in the UK."

The projected price is around £49,000 right now but this is still very much an estimate. We'll be bringing you pictures and more information when we get them.

Oh dear...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:29 pm

Bruce they got your colour!
Attachments
rr.jpg

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Looks somewhat like the pedals are ahead of the front axle. Unlikely to pass Student AE rules.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:13 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Looks somewhat like the pedals are ahead of the front axle. Unlikely to pass Student AE rules.
[/quote]

I also dislike the two people in line seating - afaik it's never worked apart from on F1 cars offering passenger rides - and even then they changed them to be three seaters!

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:39 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="dingo"]
[/quote]

I also dislike the two people in line seating - afaik it's never worked apart from on F1 cars offering passenger rides - and even then they changed them to be three seaters!
[/quote]With a slight modification to the Atom's frame, it could be made a 3 seater similar to Maclaren F1, with a central and more forward driving position, there'll be no corner weighting issues and no left or right hand drive to deal with, and more weight to the front, and finally you could scare 2 passengers silly instead of one ;D

Seriously, I think the best looking alternative is the KTM :tu:

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 pm

The old 'the wife AND the mistress' look...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:29 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="dingo"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Didn't the rocket also have this config and that new Vanwall thing.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:43 pm

The rocket did. The Vanwall prototype sort of did. The production version looks the same from the side, but from above is actually quite a bit wider to accomodate side by side seating.. The passenger seat has a removeable scrreen and a solid tonneau, both of which fit in the boot, so that one up it has that period look...

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:58 am

[quote="dingo"]
The orange annd black vehicle is the New Zealand Hulme F1

http://www.supercarsnz.com/

[/quote]

For those that did not know the car is named in honour of New Zealandâ??s only Formula One World Champion, Denny Hulme.

I had a brief look at the website, out of interest, as I have seen the Hulme at a few car shows here.
My impressions was that the Hulme was still in the development and looking for investors stage.

It was interesting to see this comment on the website "A UK list price of £310 000 has been set."

That a fair few Atoms in anyones money.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:14 am

Yup. They've been scouting for finance for some time now... They brought the car to the Goodwood Festival of Speed this year to try to generate UK investment interest. Mate of mine was 'invited to participate'

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:59 am

Saw a T-Rex at Virginia Water yesterday.

Hmmm.

I can't see them selling many at £33k!

If anything, I think it looks slightly worse in the flesh.

I shalln't pass final judgment on it until I drive one. But I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather do with that kind of money. And cars with the correct number of wheel I could buy.
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:23 pm

Regarding Vanwall: 
http://www.vanwallcars.com/html/vanwall.html

This is a two seater, but is it the Vanwall model which had the photos earlier embargoed?
If so, it's not a would be Atom competitor. 
Attachments
Sports_Racer_RSweb.jpg

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm

Why not?

You can see the panel that covers the passenger side on this pic. You just remove that and add the screen and its a two seater.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:45 pm

Two seater, open race car, but @ STG 49k+ to start and very possibly 3500 lbs + I was thinking it could not
be considered an "Atom alternative" functionally. 

This is a more of a Vintage replica.
Maybe then you could suggest a Cobra is an Atom alternative.
In terms of attracting the funds from s.o. who's into cars, perhaps it IS a potential competitor.
Like a small single engined 'plane is a potential alternative. 
Or a brace of Breitlings.