Atom Clones

wanna-atom!

Atom Clones

Post by wanna-atom! » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:18 am

Ummm... I'm an engineer.  I dunno if I can wait a year to get an Atom from the factory.  I have a well equipped shop and I like to build things.  I've done engine swaps and stuff.  The Atom doesn't look that complicated, except for the fiberglass parts.  I could easily weld up the frame.  Hmmmm... stop me before I do something silly. 

AtomFun

Re: Have you ever dreamed about making your own Atom ?

Post by AtomFun » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:24 am

STOP!

We've heard it all before and the forum is littered with DIY attempts to replicate the Atom and they look pig ugly too!

wanna-atom!

Post by wanna-atom! » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:32 am

*laughs

Nobody said anything about building something ugly !  I've got a pipe bender that would make those two main tubes in about an hour...

I know what you are saying though.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 am

when I was down for my tour Craig mentioned something about needing a special computer controlled tube bender that could put different angle and different direction bends in the same tube.  It was apparently a pretty unique tube bender. 

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:06 am

[quote="wanna-atom!"]
The Atom doesn't look that complicated, except for the fiberglass parts.  I could easily weld up the frame.  Hmmmm... stop me before I do something silly. 
[/quote]

I think you should build one, it will probably be just as good.  Try contacting Brammo or Ariel and ask for copies of the CAD to help out

Ben

KK

Post by KK » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:52 am

[quote="benyeats"]
I think you should build one, it will probably be just as good.  Try contacting Brammo or Ariel and ask for copies of the CAD to help out

Ben
[/quote]
Could a moderator move Ben's post to the thread available here where it appears to be more appropriate. And it even happens to fit in with the day of the week ... ;D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:47 pm

If you get the frame 'knocked up' soon, can you post a few pictures here? Would be great to see.

NoAtomDane

Post by NoAtomDane » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:58 pm

[quote="wanna-atom!"]

Have you ever dreamed about making your own Atom ?
[/quote]

No! I think the Atom is beautiful as it is. It would never dream of trying to imitate/improve it.

Just my 25 øre(2,25 pence)
Last edited by NoAtomDane on Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:09 pm

[quote="NoAtomDane"]
[quote="wanna-atom!"]

Have you ever dreamed about making your own Atom ?
[/quote]

No! I think the Atom is beautiful as it is. It would never dream of trying to imitate/improve it.

Just my 25 øre(2,25 pence)
[/quote]Agreed!

Just my 1 yen (0.04p) ;D

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 pm

[quote="wanna-atom!"]
I've got a pipe bender that would make those two main tubes in about an hour...
[/quote]

Classic!

I love that line so much, I put it in my sig. 
Last edited by dp35 on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:20 pm

Does everyone remember the speech that Tommy boy made in the movie........I can put a guarantee on a piece of $hit, it's still a piece of $hit.  :laugh: :laugh:  But back to reality, Wanna-atom may be fully qualified and have the tools to make whatever he wants....on a seperate topic, it is always funny when you see something that is lovingly hand-crafted with a hefty price tag along with it...and without fail someone comments "I could have made that myself"  If they could have made it themselves why haven't they?

Karl

Post by Karl » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:06 am

It's not just a big truck, it's a series of tubes!  :D

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:08 am

Can anyone find the link to the previous DIY Atom thread, the one where Ross, iirc, had found a cardboard model of one ? 

Ben

p.s. to the OP it is the weekend, I expect photos of the frame's progress at regular intervals, I have a few spare handbrake levers that I could probably throw in if it helps.

Kolk1

Build your own Atom?

Post by Kolk1 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Just curious if anybody has tried building there own version of the Atom?

I personally, dont have the money to buy one, but I have time, and a good amount of skill. Maybe Ariel would hire me, with no pay for 6 months, and just give me a free one before I leave? lol

I love these cars, and have for along time now. I have built several cars from full suspensions, to full drag motors. I also have alot of fiberglass experiance with stereos, and replacement doors. So even making the panels doesnt scare me.  What im looking to do, is basically build my own. It will take time, and that doesnt bother me. My main concern is actually bending the piping. So im trying to see if anybody makes a tube chassis that is pre-bent, and just needs welded together. Then add your own suspension, motor/trans, gauges, seats and so on.

I have access to a free Honda civic, so I was going to plan on using it for the motor, trans, wiring harness, ecu, suspension, and use a fuel cell I have laying around. Then once completed and running. Start slowly swapping out parts over time, and build a nice motor on a stand. But this would at least let me enjoy the car, while I work on upgrading everything from that point. This way, I would have something at least drivable, and running this summer, and start getting parts together and building the motor, and fully finish everything next winter.

I will be using this of course "Off road only" basically, just track use, and so on. I live out in the sticks, and know all the cops. So unless its a random state trooper going through town, I wouldnt even be concerned about being pulled over if I did take it for a spin on the streets. But thats a different story.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can pass onto me.

AtomFun

Re: Build your own Atom?

Post by AtomFun » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 pm

Take a look at this thread, he might have completed his by now.

http://forum (merged here now - Driver)

If you live near wanna-atom he has some pipe benders.
Last edited by AtomFun on Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.