Atom Clones

haymanator

Re: Atom Clones

Post by haymanator » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:20 pm

[quote="Troll-like"]
As there are a lot of you who think that I don't know anything about trickshifters/driving, here is a quote from a 750mc racer from the locostbuilders forum.
I asked the trickshifter question there because I have not finished my car and cannot "prove" my comments immediately so here goes:

"we are using a electronic flat shift in the clubby race car in the Avatar, with a Quaife sequential box, and yes its great, and has dropped an average of 2 secs a lap on most circuits we run on,
and yes you can upshift mid corner with out unsetling the car, my average change time aproxx 60-70- mill sec and the cut and re ramp on, is so smooth that the car dosnt feel the torque interuption at all, we run a 6 speed with a 1-1 top so i'm constantly changing up just after the apex and it frightens the daylights out of others when you do it on the out side of them.
best dollar yould spend
cheers Kaspa "

I think the "2 second gain per lap" and "midcorner shift" comments say exactly what I said in my first post..........................................

[/quote]

Ok, thatâ??s an individual using a Quaife gearboxâ?¦.maybe that Quaife one is better than the crap one he had in it beforeâ?¦thatâ??ll be 2 seconds etc, etc..
However, watch the first two vids, and suggest how 2 seconds could be possibly gained����������..

Manually shifting, bike engine with sequential gearbox in a Radical

Another bike engine in a Radical, this time drivers feet, note how fast the manual downshifts are.

Then watch this RGB with a Quickshifter, a perfect example of why manual selection might be the better optionâ?¦.because whatever system this isâ?¦..its rubbish.

And finally, the single apex at Coppiceâ?¦in a MINI (1.14 min is ok, 2.40 min, spot on). Not a jot of down-force involved, just mechanical grip.

But hey, what would I know?

Troll-like

Post by Troll-like » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:36 pm

haymanator, from "what do I know" comments I can see you can cut and paste links, but I haven't heard about YOU driving a Bike engined car.
I have spoken to the guys that actually do and they say different.
I thought you might conclude that it was the quaife, but that was already part of the car before the addition of the flatshifter.
So who do I listen to, the cut and paste merchant or the actual drivers who race these cars..........................................

I thought that you might like a bit more info from another driver http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Case_Studies/CaseStudies_HenrykKozlowski.htm

As to your video clips what have you proved?
Unless you use the same driver to test the car before and after the trickshifter is fitted, how can you get a true comparison of it's merits?

Nice heel and toe in the vid, but how much quicker without it? Why not just use your left foot for braking and your right for throttle?
Last edited by Troll-like on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Iâ??m not being nasty about the 750 MC - but its hardly a place thatâ??s renowned for having paid drivers on its gridsâ?¦â?¦..

Ref: the vids, well... I can't be arsed to discuss it with somebody who hasn't ever raced with one.

Regards John

Troll-like

Post by Troll-like » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 pm

More to the point, Have you raced a BEC with and without a trickshifter?
Last edited by Troll-like on Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm

This doesn't get personal.

OK?

I think by now, most of us have made up our minds.

Thanks for the input on trickshifters, guys...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Please God, Bruce, whoever, end this thread.

Karlo

Re: Atom Clones : VStorm

Post by Karlo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:45 pm

Back on track:  What are your thoughts about the Vstorm?  The 3 person setup is definitely unique!!

Troll-like

Post by Troll-like » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:59 pm

Karlo, I think that it is a very clever bit of engineering, especially in that it mixes tubular chassis with monocoque bulkheads

Karlo

Post by Karlo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Apparently if you do not want a bike motor the back engine bulkhead can be changed out for car engine.

Last edited by Karlo on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troll-like

Post by Troll-like » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Even more intelligent!

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Do you guys not have your own forums??  :doh:

Karlo

Post by Karlo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 pm

If i had the money, I would have both motorcyle and cars engine exoskeleton cars.  :tu:  BTW  is a Honda car six speed gearbox to much shifting for general driving, would a 5 speed be ok?
Last edited by Karlo on Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Troll-like

Post by Troll-like » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:46 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
Do you guys not have your own forums??  :doh:
[/quote]

We do, but this is the Non-Atom Off Topic forum.
Why have this forum option if we can't talk about other cars?
Maybe both sides will learn something?  :pop:

Ultrasound

Post by Ultrasound » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:52 am

Bruce, Bruce, you there? Help. ::) ::) ::)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:54 am

I'm leaving this one open. So long as it doesn't get personal. I don't see any reason to close it
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London