KTM Crossbow (X-Bow)

benyeats

Re: KTM Crossbow (X-Bow)

Post by benyeats » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:52 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="benyeats"]
Correct.  However it would be better to report the post to a moderator (even yourself as you are a mod iirc) and get the post taken down or contact the poster, no points for spotting an obvious clay model.

Ben
[/quote]

I didn't really see anything 'bad' about the post, apart from the incorrect statement (the link in the signature is another matter and Richard was on the case), so I couldn't justify it's removal. His use of a non de plume, which is quite common on here, was only mentioned to show that it wasn't a dumb blonde posting.  ;)

I only corrected it as it then led into an article about the initial development of the X-Bow, which I don't think had been mentioned before, and to show that it wasn't a clay model of a forthcoming version.
[/quote]

and the fact you had noticed identical posts on other fora ?  I agree nothing bad about it save the advert and it being bollocks as an excuse to post an advert, but yes apart from that a valuable contribution.  To be clear I don't think any bad can come of your post as it was in response to a load of bollocks / an advert but I think as a forum we should be capable of devising a more elegant riposte to such posts !

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 am

I think Alec needs some sensitivity training!  ;D :D >:D 

Actually, I thought his post was fine.  Maybe the  ::) part at the end wasn't necessary, but on the other hand, he was right about the facts and if someone posts a load of crap because they haven't taken the time to become informed on the issues they're posting about, it's totally fair and appropriate to point it out.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:55 am

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
...if someone posts a load of crap because they haven't taken the time to become informed on the issues they're posting about...
[/quote]

Hang on...

You do realise that this is an Internet forum don't you?

It's de rigeur...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:21 pm

This is mainly about the KTM X-Bow, but it also features the Atom so I posted a link on that thread as well (it's in German by the way  :-\ )

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:36 am

From last June, but I don't find it mentioned yet.

X-Bow crash in The Netherlands (and interesting color choice)
in English:
http://www.gtspirit.com/2009/07/02/car-crash-ktm-x-bow/
original source:
http://www.autogespot.com/nl/item/4375/ ... ht-af.html
Attachments
00002.jpg
00002.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:49 pm

This is the write-up from both reports . . . .

[quote="Car Crashes, Supercar News"]
Car Crash: KTM X-Bow

We’ve just received these pictures of a KTM X-Bow that crashed somewhere in the Netherlands. It’s the second KTM that we’ve seen crash. This one appears to have left the road on a test drive where its presumed that the driver lost control at a high rate of speed.

The X-Bow apparently flipped three times down this embankment before coming to rest in the field. It’s testament to the cars solid construction that nobody was hurt in this, pretty major, accident. We’ll leave you with the pictures…
[/quote]

. . . . and an internet translation from the original Dutch report . . . .

[quote="AutoGespot"]
KTM X-Bow test drive in runs badly

Kaboom! There was another one. It was quiet for a while with the crash of exclusive cars. Last weekend it emerged pictures of a KTM X-Bow that have wheels on the asphalt did not keep. Detail is that it was a test drive and not the owner who was driving around with his car.

During a trip on a dike was a bend too quickly. As a result, the outer wheels touched the grass and took so Dust. A drift followed after the driver made a correction on and then three times before he hit over the head with a fright came into the meadow. The driver was unhurt but shocked the car off. In terms of construction the KTM X-Bow in any case a very safe vehicle as you can after telling such a strong outing. It will make you aware that this type of track cars are not destines for any given car enthusiast.
[/quote]

The first report mentions that it's the second crash that they'd heard about at that time and this one flipped over, which we've never heard of yet with an Atom crash that I know about.  :-\
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:56 pm

I try to learn something new every day - today I have learned that the Dutch word for kaboom! is kaboem!

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Lucky not to crashing and burn after attempting a trip on a dyke - I suppose.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Spotted orange one on an 09 plate coming out of Haslemere Station on Wednesday or Thursday morning at about 815am, still ugly!  ;D  ;)

wisp

Post by wisp » Sat May 01, 2010 10:51 am

First there was X-Box then the X-Bow. Next will be a turbo component called a X-Bov. Was there a X-Boy?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat May 01, 2010 12:03 pm

[quote="wisp"]
First there was X-Box then the X-Bow. Next will be a turbo component called a X-Bov. Was there a X-Boy?
[/quote]

No but there used to be X Roads with Sandy and Benny...

(According to KTM one pronounces the X as the word 'Cross...')

skilly

Post by skilly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:51 am

Is it me or does this make the X-Bow sound amateurish and people who buy them have no idea about this car?

[img width=449 height=600]http://i31.tinypic.com/31775g0.jpg[/img]

BTW - That is not my opinion, but what the advert makes me think.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:56 am

"Faster and better looking than an Ariel Atom"

That would get MY attention...

You're absolutely right, Mark.

Their ad agency needs a good slapping!

...unless of course this was one of those ads written by the client (which I strongly suspect...)

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:13 pm

I saw that one, too. There isn't an air of desperation to that ad, it's a fog.

Can you imagine Ariel, Caterham or Lotus making cost the key message in their advertising?
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
I saw that one, too. There isn't an air of desperation to that ad, it's a fog.

Can you imagine Ariel, Caterham or Lotus making cost the key message in their advertising?

[/quote]

If their products had been continually slagged off for being much more expensive than the competition they might think about it !