SDR V-Storm

Bruce Fielding

Re: SDR V-Storm

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:00 pm

SDR Sportscars is going to introduce their brand new three-seater soon. The mid-engined car is named V-Storm and will be powered by Aprilia 1000cc Mille R engine producing 143 bhp at 8000 rpm.

Estimated weight is about 500 kg, so power-to-weight ratio is about 286bhp/ton, 0-60mph is under 5 seconds and top speed 142mph. This three-seater will be offered as kit car as well with starter kit at around $5800.

Oh, look:

Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:01 pm

Obvious ripoff, but I like the seating arrangment idea.  Looks like it'd be significantly larger than the Atom.

After a second look, the passenger seats look horribly uncomfortable though.
Last edited by Mr.Woolery on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ross

Post by ross » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Why would they bother?

dogs_bolox

Post by dogs_bolox » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:23 pm

I think thats probably the best looking copy ive seen so far but I think its a bit underpowered to compete with the atom. Is that price real. That is very cheap I think even if it is a kit

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Given the size of many atom drivers (myself included) three up could double the dry weight of the car - it would end up with the same bhp/tonne as a fiat panda :o

Can you imagine the humiliation of working through the gearbox at 12,000 rpm and being beaten by your next door neighbou'rson in his max powered vauxhall nova ;D

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:56 pm

Doesn't McLaren Cars or Gordon Murray own the patent on that three-seater layout?

dogs_bolox

Post by dogs_bolox » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:59 pm

I never thought of the Mclaren with the three seat layout. Some atom owners have stated that they feel it handles better with two people in because of the weight distribution but that would be good with 1 person

julian

Post by julian » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:42 am

Whilst nosing about the internet I came accross the advert for the Autosport show at the NEC 2010. On display is the 'New' SDR V storm powered by a Subaru STI engine producing 300BHP, weighing 750kg. 0-60 just over 3 seconds with a top speed of 165mph, described as 'British Style - Japanese Bite'.

It is also being exhibitted this month at some car show in I believe Devon? Anyway looks so like the Atom, shame.

Julian

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:02 pm

[quote="julian"]
Anyway looks so like the Atom, shame.
[/quote]

Not close up it doesn't...!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

julian

Post by julian » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Thank god for that Bruce, it appears very similar in their photo with the chasis / frame along the same lines. Looks like an Atom rip off and now with 300 bhp.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:34 am

Another article... http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 092602.ece

Apparently they must have moved away from the Aprilia 1000cc Mille R engine because this car has a 2-litre flat-four turbocharged engine, from a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, that is claimed to produce 276bhp @ 6000rpm.

There must be something about being named Simon that means you could be destined to produce exoskeleton cars.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 pm

They've released photos of the finished body work for the new Subaru powered model.
[img height=230 width=388]http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/images/i ... _small.jpg[/img] [img height=220 width=442]http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/images/i ... ar_new.jpg[/img]

I actually like the gear box hanging out back - reminiscent of the Lotus 25/33.
The air intake directly behind the driver's head just looks odd.

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="julian"]
Anyway looks so like the Atom, shame.
[/quote]
Not close up it doesn't...!
[/quote]

I was trying to figure out, with so many similarities, why the Atom looks right to me and the Vstorm wrong.  I came up with the comparisons below.  Based on published wheel bases, and assuming 17 inch wheels on the VStorm and 15 inch fronts on the Atom, they are sized pretty close to scale.  The Vstorm is the motorcycle engine version.  I forget where I got the Atom photo.  If the owner objects to this use, I will of course remove it.
Attachments
Atom.VStorm H.jpg
Atom.VStormV .jpg
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:49 am

[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
They've released photos of the finished body work for the new Subaru powered model.
[img height=230 width=388]http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/images/i ... _small.jpg[/img] [img height=220 width=442]http://www.sdrsportscars.co.uk/images/i ... ar_new.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

If any car can be accused of being a very similar copy to the Atom design it has to be the V-Storm.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Wasn't this written-up in the 'In Gear' newspaper?
Driven by Vicky BH - She wasn't impressed - it had the wrong gearbox, so ran out of revs in every gear ..

.. or am I thinking of another car?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold