Suitable Family Transport

wattie

Suitable Family Transport

Post by wattie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:54 pm

Kel and I have found out that we're going to be parents which is terrific. It also means We're gonna have to trade motors again!
Considering estates and of course 4x4's. Only downside I see to the larger 4x4's is that we'd be lifting a little one up into one...which is awkward....and Kel ain't comfy with huge cars but feels that if she sat higher it might help.

Interested to hear anyone's experience with.

C/E class Merc estates, 3litre Deisels.

3/5 Series 3 litre Touring BMW's.

X1,3 or X5

M Class Merc.

Cheers Wattie

Cheers Wattie

benyeats

Re: Suitable Family Transport

Post by benyeats » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Firstly congratulations to you both.

Secondly XF estate ?

Ben

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks Ben
Yeah did consider that but not cheap enough yet.....they say it's better than the saloon and we both know how good that is!
Cheers Wattie

Northnoble

Post by Northnoble » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Congratulations......

I have a BMW X3 35D MSport.......have done 50,000 miles in just under 2 years and cant recommend it enough. It hasn't missed a beat and is close on ideal as an everyday commuter /load lugger yet easy to park due to great visibility and all round sensors.....you even get a 360 degree camera!

Very comfortable, fast, economical and with a big boot. Although you sit high it isn't hard to get in /out of and the doors give good access to the rear seats. I looked at the X5.....much bigger presence but no extra room inside!

Really going to struggle to decide what to replace it with.....0-60 in 5.8s and 47mpg.....obscene!

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 pm

Thanks.
I've seen the X1 which we both liked, but feel it's too small. The X5 by comparison is huge which I'm comfy with but kel isn't. Nice n safe with lots of boot space but requires a lift up into the rear for us vertically challenged.

The X3 seems a nice halfway house then and from what you say seems very impressive....and bloody quick too! Think it's worth a look.

Cheers Wattie

Alex Brandon-Smith

Post by Alex Brandon-Smith » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Wattie, that's great news! Many congratulations! I'm just in the middle of designing a pannier system for my kids for the atom if you're interested! ;o)

As for the cars, only have most experience of the Audi A6 here but did like the Q5 when testing. Friend has the 535d touring and it's a superb car. Great size and some poke to boot. X5 is a massive motor...Quite a fan of the M class too. Personally I'd do the 530d or M class. Quite like the A6 Allroad as an alternative option...
310=325! That'll be the Presidential Remap kicking in... :vroom:

wattie

Post by wattie » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks.

I like Audis when i see them on the road and I know they're excellent cars but they just don't excite me. Had a look at the A4/6 s lines (lots of em 2nd hand) but can't get enthused. Same with the Q cars......the 5 looks huge and the 3 to me is blaaaah.

The 5 touring M Sport is a cracking looking and driving car by all accounts.....then there's the  5 GT, which would probably tick all boxes......but have you seen it :-  Were BM's designers trying to get home early that day ??? Bigger rear end than kardashian........but cracking value compared to estates.....3 litres for 2 litre touring money.

Cheers Wattie

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Well done both !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Welshman

Post by Welshman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm

Wattie

You ask about BMW 5 Series Touring. I had a F11 530d 2010 which did 110,000 faultless miles over 3 years. I p/ex it for a 535d F11 about 6 weeks ago.

I was very happy with my 530d. Plenty of grunt. Good economy. Plenty of space. Not as much as Merc E class estate but plenty for my purposes.

Congrats BTW.

Sir Nick

Post by Sir Nick » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:14 pm

I think we will need to wet the babes head mate! 

All the best to you both.

Nick
Atom 3.5R, Black+Red flashes, CF front & rear wings, CF bonnet & mud guards.  Bristol

wattie

Post by wattie » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 am

Thanks for the nice wishes fellas.

It's been quite a couple of years for us. Vasectomy reversal (after 15 years), then lots of natural trying without success. At the same time my Dad became Very ill. In December 2013 we decided to try to bypass "chance" due to our ages and had Kel's first IVF transfer on 31st Jan, the day my dad died.

I'd kept the whole thing a secret from my Dad as I knew it was unlikely he would survive to see our little one and didn't want to upset him further. However, in his final hours when he was unconscious I didn't want there to be any secrets between us so I told him our news. Doctors say that hearing is the last of the senses to go.

At the ages of 49 and 40 the odds are pretty slim of IVF success so I like to think that Dad may have had a word with the big fella (if he's there) and sorted things out for us!!! Maybe he arranged a transfer deal ???

Our baby really is our little miracle......so to those in a similar "baby trying" situation never give up!!

Uk, Bath return shortly so will perhaps see some of you around at an event or two.

Gotta get the car choice right this time, lots to think about in terms of requirements so looking forward to driving a few and deciding.

Happy Easter all.
cheers Wattie

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:18 am

Congratulations.

Only thing to add, is that some 'big' cars are not that big when you put the second stage baby seat in. My little lad is about to turn two and he is already kicking the back of the front seat in our Evoque.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Put Sam in the boot ?  >:D

;D
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Now I have had a few more beers I can be more honest.  Don't get anything other than a Mercedes.  That is all.

Ben

meladdo

Post by meladdo » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Kel and I have found out that we're going to be parents which is terrific. It also means We're gonna have to trade motors again!
Considering estates and of course 4x4's. Only downside I see to the larger 4x4's is that we'd be lifting a little one up into one...which is awkward....and Kel ain't comfy with huge cars but feels that if she sat higher it might help.

Interested to hear anyone's experience with.

C/E class Merc estates, 3litre Deisels.

3/5 Series 3 litre Touring BMW's.

X1,3 or X5

M Class Merc.

Cheers Wattie

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]

Not much help with vehicle choice - I have a shogun and its a little agricultural comparred to some of the suggestions here but its sold and boringly reliable not to expensive to run and will do 37 - 40 mpg on a run will take all the clobber a baby needs plus much more....

My post is to wish you well and hope Kel has an uneventful pregnancy and a smooth birthing experience - My best wishes for you new life as a family! of three or is it 4  :o

:tu:

Well done to you both!! IVF is an emotional roller coaster and is no easy time to endure. Its all good though when there is a baby at the end of it. Congratulations  :tu: