F1 - what do you think?

wattie

F1 - what do you think?

Post by wattie » Sun May 13, 2012 3:37 pm

If you put the slowest f1 driver in the best car.....and the best in the worst car....over a season, reliability being equal would the worst driver win????

Cheers Wattie

Ps. I also think you should score points for qualifying as that is part of the process.....surely that would add to excitement....and compensate for unforeseen circumstances.

fb.george

Re: F1 - what do you think?

Post by fb.george » Sun May 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Wattie
No doubt slowest driver in best car would win.
No amount of talent can make up for poor downforce yet all the drivers have had to get a superlicence so are no slouches, and would do ok in a car that sticks to the road.
Tend to agree on points for qualifying
All the best
Mark
Keep smiling!!

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun May 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Agree on points for qualifying definately and would like to see some points for fastest lap also

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I would love to see Lewis take an Atom round the track and see how he did and what coments he had from that

wattie

Post by wattie » Sun May 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Jenson drove one. It stunned him as it was a fast machine......understeered a bit,twitchy... go figure ;)

Cheers Wattie

Ps. Car is all important nowadays....talent can't overcome physics IMO so I reckon worst driver would win too.
Great result for Williams today, keeps it interesting.
Last edited by wattie on Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun May 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Well Hamilton's pole time was 10 seconds quicker than the chap he ended up starting next to.  No chance that 10 seconds all came from superior driving.

Therefore the slowest driver in the best car would win.  However one should not forget that even the slowest driver in F1 will be ridiculously talented compared to almost all other circuit drivers.

Ben

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 pm

.. and then there's all the gotchas that you have no control over like calculating the wrong amount of fuel, other drivers bulldozing you under braking, pit crew leaving wheels in the way etc etc !

I was wondering whether Mark Webber's strategy this year was to take it easy, keep out of trouble, take no risks and just collect average points per race. It seemed to be working ..

I don't see how Button's car went from being brilliant in practice to becoming undrivable overnight, when he said "they didn't change much".
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon May 14, 2012 2:00 pm

Just saw that Williams Pit Fire incident...nasty.....someones got 40% burns....7 injured horrendous.

Surely crews would be trained to deal with that....and have fireproof overalls etc ???

If you haven't seen it.......it's frankly chaos!

F1 2012 Spanish Grand Prix Williams Pit Fire (HD)

Fire In Williams Garage After Win: BBC F1 2012 - Round 5: Spanish GP

Cheers Wattie
Last edited by wattie on Mon May 14, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33haw

Post by l33haw » Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 pm

In the past it's definitely been the case that the best car will win. However the best drivers get in to the best cars so fairs fair.

However, this years it's all different. Qualifying is old fashioned fastest car/driver combo is pole, but in the race the limiting factor is how well the driver manages tyres (hence 5 different winners from 5 races). The Williams is far from the best aero car but that didn't stop them having an fantastic race with brilliant tyre management and pit stop timing on an aero circuit like Barca. (I don't buy this "they shouldn't be managing tyres they should be hell for leather-it's not F1" rubbish, in Sir Stirlings days they drove within themselves as well, but in those days it was to avoid death rather than "the cliff")

We've never had a season where on a dry race any of 10 drivers can realistically win. It's fantastic.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Horrendous fire - first thing i thought was Senna/MSchumi incident - MS blames Senna (even though it was MS's fault) then mysteriously Sennas car catches fire in the garage.....thought maybe shumi was so annoyed he torched the joint  :roflp: (obviously not) more than likely a fire related to the accident/electrical fault?  couldnt quite see schumi holding a jerry can and a pack of Swan Vesta's. Do hope everyone recovers. 

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Car set up is important too, but then a decent degree of that will come from the team's engineers and prior simulation work.