The F1 Experience

atomathics

The F1 Experience

Post by atomathics » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:07 am

I can think of a few people that might find this interesting... just wish the price didn't cause blood to spurt from the eyes!

$7k for 30 miles!

http://worldclassdriving.com/eventscms/ ... ormula_one

MonsieurX

Re: The F1 Experience

Post by MonsieurX » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:31 am

dont you get a carbon brake option on the atom for that price?  ;D

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 am

And to drive in a 13 year old car, that wasn't as I recall very good.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:46 am

[quote="Richard Marler"]
And to drive in a 13 year old car, that wasn't as I recall very good.
[/quote]

I think there are degrees of good in the automotive world !

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Actually, that looks like quite good value compared to the French version...

And an old Arrows should be more than a match for anyone this side of Takuma Sato
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:38 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Actually, that looks like quite good value compared to the French version...

And an old Arrows should be more than a match for anyone this side of Takuma Sato
[/quote]

Because I'm curious, what's the cost for the French version and what car do they run?

Mota Leira

Post by Mota Leira » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Looks like one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that every F1 fan / car enthusiast should do. Although it's $1000/lap and you'll walk away thinking the Atom isn't really hardcore enough... but I think if it were in LA I'd still do it.

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:18 pm

http://www.agsformule1.com/

I have done it on Le Castellet-HTTT/Paul Ricard track : really great day. After several laps in a kind of F3, i drove 7 laps in the F1 : i was not impressed by the power, much more by the carbone braking but much much much more by the lateral capacities ! After 3 laps it begans to be difficult for my head and in the last lap i was happy to see the end. A guy who was here had paid much more to do this and to drive a Peugeot 905 V10 ("old" Le Mans winner), the guy was physicaly destroyed and was driving it slowest than me with an Atom. ;D
So don't buy to much F1 laps the same day (8 maxi if you are pushing the car a little bit in corners), eventualy make it 2 times, i think it's better.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 am

I think 7k for a few laps is just crazy!, and thats coming from an F1 nut.

You could put that money towards a decent formula car and have just as much fun! (as proven last week at Laguna :) )

fiesty

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:53 pm

IMO this sort of thing is for rich guys who just want to be able to say "I've driven an F1 car".

For those of us that would prefer a really impressive driving experience, we'd likely have more fun & obviously get a way better bargain with various lower formula cars.  Personally I'd like to try a Star Mazda, and for $7K I might be able to test and race one.

Monza

Post by Monza » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:56 pm

nice to know now that i'm a rich guy, as my brother who was with me ... ahhh yes it costs me only 5K€ not 7K£. :D

The F1 is the Ultimate driving machin on a track in which you can reach incredible feelings if your are not a to bad driver. You compare this to what a Mazda ? even if it's a "Star", no comparaison possible.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:59 pm

[quote="dp35"]
IMO this sort of thing is for rich guys who just want to be able to say "I've driven an F1 car".[/quote]

...but what else could we get you for Christmas?

It's my belief that the presents that you cherish the most are the ones you can take with you everywhere - in your memories.

In a wealthy, consumer-driven society where every material possession is easy to access with a modicum of money, 'experience' presents are unbeatable. It could be something expensive to do, or something thought provoking. It could be a visit to an animal sanctuary helping out for the day, or it could be an F1 drive, or it could be flying in a jet fighter (an owner offers this I think...) and hey, why not?

That's the reason why this exists, and all power to it.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Wasn't meaning to bash the concept of paying a lot to drive an F1 car (afterall, isn't that what 25% of the current F1 field is doing?).  Your money your choice.  Enjoy.  I'm sure that many true enthusiasts & capable drivers have done this. 

Also didn't mean to say that Star Mazda = F1.  The point was that at my skill level, I think I'd get more driving enjoyment from the SM, or perhaps a Formula Atlantic.

jon b

Post by jon b » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="Monza"]
http://www.agsformule1.com/

I have done it on Le Castellet-HTTT/Paul Ricard track : really great day. After several laps in a kind of F3, i drove 7 laps in the F1 : i was not impressed by the power, much more by the carbone braking but much much much more by the lateral capacities ! After 3 laps it begans to be difficult for my head and in the last lap i was happy to see the end. A guy who was here had paid much more to do this and to drive a Peugeot 905 V10 ("old" Le Mans winner), the guy was physicaly destroyed and was driving it slowest than me with an Atom. ;D
So don't buy to much F1 laps the same day (8 maxi if you are pushing the car a little bit in corners), eventualy make it 2 times, i think it's better.
[/quote]

I can totally understand this Monza.  Firstly, if you haven't driven an aero car in anger this sort of thing would be a complete waste of time imo.  At the end of the day, its all down to what you want.  Just to be in an F1 car or to really push an F1 car.  For 99% of people driving an F3 car would be simply mind blowing and even then you still wouldn't really be pushing it on the corners.

I've often thought about what it would be like to drive an F1 car and have concluded that its something i wouldn't enjoy - i would be terrified of the thing for some reason and just know i couldn't push it hard enough to do what it needs to do to work properly. 

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:58 am

[quote="Big Ape"]
I've often thought about what it would be like to drive an F1 car and have concluded that its something i wouldn't enjoy - i would be terrified of the thing for some reason and just know i couldn't push it hard enough to do what it needs to do to work properly. 
[/quote]

Well, yes John. That and because you're a utterly s hit driver  ;D

BTW, where the f*ck are you hiding nowadays? Haven't seen you since Spa, ya lanky git.

Cheers, Hedge