In case you're interested in the next Miata...

Mr.Woolery

In case you're interested in the next Miata...

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 05, 2010 4:32 am

I've been approached by the director of engineering at Mazda USA.  They were asking me for input on the next generation Miata.  I know that there are a couple of Miata owners on this board, so if you have any suggestions/input for things you'd like to see in the next Miata...or have any input on what is important about the car for you, let me know so I can pass it on.  Just an FYI.

Gage

Re: In case you're interested in the next Miata...

Post by Gage » Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 pm

I would like to know what YOU told him Spaz.  :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Make an R version,(no a/c, no radio,no power stuff etc) to keep the car under 2.2K.lbs. and put the 2.3 turbo motor in it. Better factory brakes as well.Keep the ragtop too.

I really enjoyed running my modified Miata Madaspeed the last two days at Monticello raceway,even though the weather SUCKED! >:( >:( >:(  
It would not have been a good event for an Atom.
The Miata is one of the best balanced sports cars I have ever driven. Even with the torrential rain,I never lost complete control of the car and only had two offs,mostly because of visibility.
They are a very forgiving platform and a joy to own.Lots of support for the car as well,both from the aftermarket and factory :tu:

Watkins Glen..top down and sunny! ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulP

Post by PaulP » Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

I used to own an MX5, as we call them. At 6 foot 4inch I like a bit more leg room.  Plus a dashboard that doesn't look as though it was built by Fisher Price.

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed May 05, 2010 1:21 pm

Fix the engine to have at least 110bhp per liter NA, none of that turbo stuff..  Then take whatever projected curb weight Mazda's expecting and then drop 250kg.

More leg room wouldn't be a bad idea either.  That's what stopped me from wanting one. I don't fit and when I did cram myself in there a 1.6l made a whopping 105whp.  Other car companies have 17 year old engine platforms making 160+bhp from a 1.6l.  Where's the beef?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed May 05, 2010 1:29 pm

[quote="McFred"]
More leg room wouldn't be a bad idea either.  That's what stopped me from wanting one.
[/quote]

I don't fit either, but with me it was the gap between the steering wheel and the binnacle/instrument tunnel that caused the problems. Might be different on LHD models.

Steve Gibson had a turbo MX5 that was a bit sorted!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 pm

What made the Miata great from Day 1 was its light weight, balance, and simplicity.  I'd encourage Mazda to not screw this up. 

Most car models have been gaining weight like crazy lately, which makes them less desirable in almost every way.  I'd be sick if Mazda made the Miata bigger & heavier.  It would be nice for it to have more hp/liter, but not if it only offset an increase in weight.

Although it would be nice to have more leg room for the big & tall folks, that's not likely to happen without increasing the dimensions and thus weight.  Not worth it IMO.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 05, 2010 1:49 pm

I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs and fit fine. I installed a smaller diameter wheel with a 390mm setback and a lower seat,so plenty of room to drive.No,not as comfy as a Town Car..but wtf. The turbo 4 is the way to go. Anything bigger will be 10lbs of sh1t in a 5lb bag. If you drove a proper setup turbo Miata,you would NOT be disappointed.The 2.3 turbo motor in the Speed3 would be perfect!

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 pm

[quote="dp35"]
What made the Miata great from Day 1 was its light weight, balance, and simplicity.  I'd encourage Mazda to not screw this up. 

Although it would be nice to have more leg room for the big & tall folks, that's not likely to happen without increasing the dimensions and thus weight.  Not worth it IMO.
[/quote]

Well said.

I'm 6'2", 188cm  and 195 Llbs (188.4kgs) and I fit in a Miata, but it is very tight.    I still wouldn't make the car heavier. 

John H

Post by John H » Wed May 05, 2010 2:00 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="dp35"]

[/quote]

Well said.

I'm 6'2", 188cm  and 195 Llbs (188.4kgs) and I fit in a Miata, but it is very tight.    I still wouldn't make the car heavier.   
[/quote]
188.4 kilos.................jeez, even Ben isn't that huge?
Are you taller lying down?

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="Gage"]
[quote="dp35"]
What made the Miata great from Day 1 was its light weight, balance, and simplicity.  I'd encourage Mazda to not screw this up.  

Although it would be nice to have more leg room for the big & tall folks, that's not likely to happen without increasing the dimensions and thus weight.  Not worth it IMO.
[/quote]

Well said.

I'm 6'2", 188cm  and 195 Llbs (188.4kgs) and I fit in a Miata, but it is very tight.    I still wouldn't make the car heavier.  
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sorry, please pardon my mistake.  That is what I get for trying to translate.  I'm about 88.4 kgs.   ;D
Last edited by Gage on Wed May 05, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 pm

[quote="John H"]
[quote="Gage"]
[quote="dp35"]

[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was thinking you must have piled on the weight since I met you.

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="John H"]
[quote="Gage"]
[quote="dp35"]

[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was thinking you must have piled on the weight since I met you.
[/quote]

I hope that both the Miata and I can avoid that fate.  :)

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Just been in upstate NY and the friend I was staying with commutes to Connecticut in a Miata. Had a quick drive and it definitely needs more power. An 'R' version would be a great idea. His has the metal roof version and a track roll bar wont fit (only fits soft roof car) so he cannot track it. So may I suggest a roll bar that fits under the metal roof. He loves the handling and balance though.

Trigger
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs and fit fine. I installed a smaller diameter wheel with a 390mm setback and a lower seat,so plenty of room to drive.No,not as comfy as a Town Car..but wtf. The turbo 4 is the way to go. Anything bigger will be 10lbs of sh1t in a 5lb bag. If you drove a proper setup turbo Miata,you would NOT be disappointed.The 2.3 turbo motor in the Speed3 would be perfect!
[/quote]

Um, right.  So if you change nearly everything to do with the ergonomics from the factory then you fit?  Unlike most Americans I do not suffer from the fatass epidemic, I'm 195cm and most of is in my legs.  I'm, sure I could fit in a Miata after I simply amputate my legs after the knee.  About as practical as refitting all the furniture in a Miata. ;D

The poor Miata has ballooned up about 250 pounds over the years.  Add more negative weight please.