In case you're interested in the next Miata...

silver

Re: In case you're interested in the next Miata...

Post by silver » Wed May 05, 2010 3:27 pm

[quote="McFred"]
[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I'm 6'2" and weigh 230lbs and fit fine. I installed a smaller diameter wheel with a 390mm setback and a lower seat,so plenty of room to drive.No,not as comfy as a Town Car..but wtf. The turbo 4 is the way to go. Anything bigger will be 10lbs of sh1t in a 5lb bag. If you drove a proper setup turbo Miata,you would NOT be disappointed.The 2.3 turbo motor in the Speed3 would be perfect!
[/quote]

Um, right.  So if you change nearly everything to do with the ergonomics from the factory then you fit?  Unlike most Americans I do not suffer from the fatass epidemic, I'm 195cm and most of is in my legs.  I'm, sure I could fit in a Miata after I simply amputate my legs after the knee.  About as practical as refitting all the furniture in a Miata. ;D

The poor Miata has ballooned up about 250 pounds over the years.  Add more negative weight please.
[/quote]

TJ  Mcfred, both of you seemed American at atomfest (ps thanks for the gas)  but I notice a lot of your measurements are European, are you European....and what are your names and who's typing....always get's me that 2 people use the same handle I never know who I'm talking too!!!  TJ off

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed May 05, 2010 4:18 pm

McFred,you asshole..I changed the steering wheel so my left knee had somewhere to go,and lowered the seat so I could legally drive on track and pass having my head under the rollbar. Changed nearly everything  ::) ::) ...a steering wheel and a seat. I do that in just about every car I own. Some of us are skinny runts and some of us have body mass. It's not necessarilly FAT, dickhead. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 pm

LMFAO queue Cartman saying "I'm not fat I'm just big-boned" :D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed May 05, 2010 4:36 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
It's not necessarilly FAT, dickhead. 
[/quote]

Unless of course, you're a fatheaded dick... ;D
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed May 05, 2010 4:39 pm

I like the fact that I don't fit every car. It makes the choice easier.

I liked the Lotus Elan the first time I saw it... Just because the MX5 is just some Japanese knockoff doesn't make it any the worse.

I completely agree that to swim against the stream and make it smaller and lighter would be different. However, whilst consumer watchdogs keep insisting on more regs, cars HAVE to get bigger.

The solution is simple. Make the legal profession redundant. Just ban it. Then let all the lawyers retrain as something else. You'll have to get everyone in Health and Safety to retrain too, then.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Mazda has shown a penchant for some creativity in the engine bay.  There's the Iconic rotary, less well known Miller cycle V6 and the 1.8 litre V6, (in Japan this engine produced 135 hp)
So I think they could really take a sweet path if they introduced an MX-5 with a small displacement, (2.0 litre) high revving NA inline six (front mid engine location)
mated to a rear transaxle.   Do you guys recall driving the BMW 320i ?  I don't but I think that a really modern 2 litre i-6 could be a wonderful powerplant.
If they could stuff this into an MX-5 sized shape, they'd have produced a really interesting star. keep the ragtop, def.

McFred

Post by McFred » Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 pm

Mad, I was replying to the comment about you changing a lot of the Miata to fit.  I did not comment on YOUR physique.  The US does have an epidemic of overweight people.  I am a skinny runt and don't have a weight issue.  I personally don't think that 230# is obese.  I'm just as likely to rib you a bit since you like to express your opinion so vocally.  :laugh:  It's just something lost on the typed media format.

RE Bruce, while I don't fit in a Miata and can't make left turns I DO fit in an Exige, though not with a helmet.

[tj] Silver, I'm a native US citizen (and so is my older/quieter brother that very occasionally uses my account to post), but I can appreciate that the rest of the world uses a different system of measurement that makes about a billion times more sense than a system based of the anthropomorphic attributes of some king.  I like shifting a decimal to convert to another unit than mutiplying by .01324513474.  So in a multinational forum I try to abide by the most common system of measurement. [/tj]

silver

Post by silver » Wed May 05, 2010 4:51 pm

[quote="McFred"]
Mad, I was replying to the comment about you changing a lot of the Miata to fit.  I did not comment on YOUR physique.  The US does have an epidemic of overweight people.  I am a skinny runt and don't have a weight issue.  I personally don't think that 230# is obese.  I'm just as likely to rib you a bit since you like to express your opinion so vocally.  :laugh:  It's just something lost on the typed media format.

RE Bruce, while I don't fit in a Miata and can't make left turns I DO fit in an Exige, though not with a helmet.

[tj] Silver, I'm a native US citizen (and so is my older/quieter brother that very occasionally uses my account to post), but I can appreciate that the rest of the world uses a different system of measurement that makes about a billion times more sense than a system based of the anthropomorphic attributes of some king.  I like shifting a decimal to convert to another unit than mutiplying by .01324513474.  So in a multinational forum I try to abide by the most common system of measurement. [/tj]

TJ on

Dude....awesome!  I like it.

Whats your name, and your brother's name

TJ off

[/quote]

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Wed May 05, 2010 6:55 pm

With Dingo – make a proper flagship model with a great engine (although it'll not fit the demographic that Mazda aim this car at). Keep the wonderful handling balance, trim the weight and be brave with the styling. The styling has always been too compromised, too bland, since the MK1 that aped the Elan. It got more so as the years passed. It needs to be braver and sexier.

The supercharged Miata I had ten years ago was a brilliant little car - in fact, I showed up at Ariel in it for my test drive back in 2000.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 pm

For those of you who have height/weight concerns when it comes to fitting into a Miata, I've solved that one.  The solution is to put in an Elise seat with special brackets.  Mine is set so low and so far back now that I can fully extend my legs under the dash, and am actually considering getting a steering hub spacer to bring the steering wheel closer to my body (the wheel is at a classic "drivers GT position" now--arms not bent much).  I'm 6'2 and 250lbs, so that should give you an idea how much space is gained.

I'll pass your suggestions to the Mazda folks, too.  They are already very aware of the car's weight as an issue and are working to keep the car as light as possible.

Stuff I told them/suggestions/etc:
-Consider having two powerplants available, one of them an 'R' (Mazdaspeed) spec.
-Consider modular tooling for both easy assembly and allowing upgrades/removal/transference of options.
-The fact that the car is a convertible isn't really all that important.  It's the chassis dynamic that's important...consider releasing a coupe version outside of Japan
-We discussed suspension options in depth--too long to go into here.
-We also discussed some key business points, including strategic planning and the RX-7 (but I'm not going to talk about or reveal anything that was covered regarding those subjects).  Suffice it to say that Mazda IS listening and is seriously trying to get back to the Miata's roots with the next iteration.
Last edited by Mr.Woolery on Wed May 05, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MonsieurX

Post by MonsieurX » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Like everyone else, I'm for the Roarr and light version of the Miata for the track and a light and economic version for the city. Weight is a factor in the car's economy...

Like the Lotus did with the Elise.

I've been in a stripped out stock miata on slicks and it was the most darnest thing without power though....

I was amazed how it was easy to control... But i would go with aluminum interior, more torque and power, LSD and added suede for the city version...

It could well be a civilized version of the Elise... Add a V8 for atom like perfs with better aerodynamics ;)

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:48 am

[quote="dingo"]Mazda has shown a penchant for some creativity in the engine bay.  There's the Iconic rotary, less well known Miller cycle V6 and the 1.8 litre V6, (in Japan this engine produced 135 hp) . . . [/quote]
Dingo, you are right on!

Tell Mazda to put a turbocompounded single-rotor Rotary engine in it, all aluminum.  Very lightweight, powerful and economical!

Most seriously yours,

Jacob :-)