1st race in my Spec Miata (happy ending)

dp35

1st race in my Spec Miata (happy ending)

Post by dp35 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 pm

As many of you know, last year I rented a Spec Miata, got my SCCA racing license, and raced a few times.  I did this because "winning" track days in the Atom was getting too easy, and I was looking for some real competition to see if I'm any good at this or not.

This January I bought my own Spec Miata for $7K (a used 1990, race ready but not competitive). I spent a few more grand and a lot of time improving the car, and raced it for the 1st time at the SCCA regional opener double this past weekend at Thunderhill. This was my 1st SCCA race without a novice plate on the car, so I was hoping for a top 10 or top 5 finish.

I was pleasantly surprised to qualify on pole for the first race, in front 66 others. I led most of the race, until a lapper took me off the track, causing me to spin & lose 2 spots. The same guy then took me off the track 1 lap later, dropping me to 4th. I recovered 3rd on the last lap.
Here's a video of that race:  http://www.vimeo.com/10871858

For the 2nd race, I qualified 2nd behind Dean Thomas (local legend). Qual for this race was in the dry on Saturday afternoon, but the race was on Sunday and fully wet. I was a bit nervous because I've never raced a car in the rain, and we got no practice, just a pace lap and then race.  I took the lead at the start and took off.  Dave Vodden (another local legend) was on my bumper for a few laps and then passed me. I followed him & learned for a while, with a big gap over 3rd. Toward the end I caught Vodden and he started making mistakes. We traded the lead a couple times and then he spun out, handing me a 10 second lead. I won! Can't hardly believe it! Unfortuneatley, my video shut off on the 2nd lap of that race.

When people ask how I got to the front of the most competitive class so quickly, I tell them its because I learned how to drive an Ariel Atom first.  Because the Atom rewards proper driving technique and punishes poor technique, it can be a great car to learn in.  I say "can be" because it takes more time & dedication than most people are willing to invest.  I honestly believe that the Atom prepared me for racing in the rain, because it helped me develop quick hands.  Learn to drive your Atom at the limit, and you'll be capable of driving anything.

NormLarson

Re: 1st race in my Spec Miata (happy ending)

Post by NormLarson » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Congratulations!  Awesome job!  :tu: :tu:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Legend?  I'll show you a local legend  :tu:

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 am

Nice video!  It was fun watching the blue car in the rear view mirror trying to catch you.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 am

Congratulations! Very cool stuff  :tu:

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:18 am

Dude, you are a legend, fact.
Top top skills  :tu:
Cheers, Hedge