2010 F1 Bahrain

Trigger

Re: 2010 F1 Bahrain

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:35 am

Total waste of time. I cannot help but want to watch F1. But when you have rule changes that totally ruin what racing there was it is ridiculous. They had gone a little way to improving racing by reducing reliance on aerodynamics. But having no fuel stops and having to protect tyres is just dreadful. I really hope this was just a bad race.

Congrats Lewis though.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:34 pm

[quote="Big Ape"]
... are going to play it safe and focus on saving thei tyres doesn't it? :(
[/quote]

Button said as much. He said he saved his tyres too much in the first session, again at the start of the second, he pushed in the last quarter, got up behind Schumacher, then just sat in the dirty air.

I thought Lotus did pretty well mind. 
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

I'm not overly fussed on these new tracks or changes. They look so 'manicured' and in someway, false. With computer graphics being so good these days, I'm often left wondering if I'm watching a simulation or the real thing!

There is hardly any drama in the races and the removal of re-fuelling reduces the risk of drama even more. It was wonderful watching a car pulling away with the fuel hose still attached and the pit crew in pursuit on foot.

All to clinical for me.
Last edited by AtomFun on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm still bothered by the dumb looking wings that were introduced last year.  These were deemed necessary because they were going to improve passing and close racing.  Not that we know that was a complete failure, we still get these ugly wings.  The wider front wings have certainly hurt the racing, because they're so easy to damage. 

I realize that the new wings came from the "Overtaking Working Group" (failure), and that the double diffusers undid that whole idea.  But despite knowing that, DDD's were allowed again this year.  Why??

Also, the wider & lower front wings were introduced last year to improve front end traction.  Now this year they go with narrower front tires.  Seems like a contradiction and a lose-lose situation to me. 

Seems like the effect of every change turns out to be the opposite of its intention, mistakes are not corrected or even learned from, and the racing suffers.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

I thought Coulthard's final words on the BBC forum just about summed up his indifference to the race. 'Bahrain's a nice place to spend a weekend'.

About ten minutes in, I started reading a Sunday paper and only glanced back to the race when Brundle shrieked 'Vettel's car is sick! That car is sick!'. That was the most excitement we were going to get.

It's 2010, F1 is many decades old and we have the most advanced computer modelling/simulation ever seen, but they still can't engineer in some competitive racing every couple of weeks.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Steve050567

Post by Steve050567 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:53 am

Nothing to do with crap track design then ?

Schumacher alluded to the fact it was a mickey mouse circuit when he was interviewd after the race.

When you look at it, all the crappy infield bit where the dirty air meant anyone following fell away followed by the only overtaking place (the pit straight) where they were to far back out of the last corner.

Hopefully when we get to the more traditional circuits i.e pre Herman Tilke design, the racing might be more iteresting.

Can do but hope.