Atom and Ktm

deepdiver

Re: Atom and Ktm

Post by deepdiver » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm

great choice , like it alot.

I always think its going to turn into some form of transformer.

( hope the decals are off now, For Sale to be replaced with Sold.)

george.

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Yes the stickers are now off, but were soon replaced with silverstones finest road kill !! my mate was driving round the track and hit it, not sure what animal it was, but when i went out afterwords it was no small animal, more like a small fox or a large hair, i was surprised the stuarts did not pick it up.
Nick

RichardR, thanks for posting the pictures for me!

wattie

Post by wattie » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 am

Very nice Nicky....nice plate too! I don't mind it in orange.

It's a quality product for sure and you've picked up a bargain by the sounds of things- enjoy!

There's a few karting tracks over here and i ain't been to any of them  :-[ need to get the finger out and give em a try.

Keep us all posted on the reliability and your experience with the car and if you're ever selling let me know.....i might just be tempted!!!  ;D etc.

Cheers Wattie

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 am

I presume this is an option for owners that don't know which is the front and which is the back of the car?
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:42 pm

[quote="Richard Marler"]

I presume this is an option for owners that don't know which is the front and which is the back of the car?
[/quote]

Yep!! told you the driving position was a little on the high side!!

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:47 pm

[quote="wattie"]
Very nice Nicky....nice plate too! I don't mind it in orange.

It's a quality product for sure and you've picked up a bargain by the sounds of things- enjoy!

There's a few karting tracks over here and i ain't been to any of them  :-[ need to get the finger out and give em a try.

Keep us all posted on the reliability and your experience with the car and if you're ever selling let me know.....i might just be tempted!!!  ;D etc.

Cheers Wattie
[/quote]
Will do Wattie.
Enjoy cyprus's sunny weather!
I'm hoping to get over there sometime when the kids break up from school in july-augast time, so i will be on the look out for your Atom!
Nick

356speedster

Post by 356speedster » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:59 pm

Nick - good to hear from you again.... would be good to catch up & see the Xbow.  If there are any Sunday runs around the Redditch / Stratford / Evesham area going, give me a shout!

Mark

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 pm

[quote="356speedster"]
Nick - good to hear from you again.... would be good to catch up & see the Xbow.  If there are any Sunday runs around the Redditch / Stratford / Evesham area going, give me a shout!

Mark
[/quote]
Hi Mark,

Will do, i was temped to go go for a spin today,but although it was sunny it was still bloody cold
Nick

356speedster

Post by 356speedster » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:13 pm

[quote="nickyboy"] Hi Mark,

Will do, i was temped to go go for a spin today,but although it was sunny it was still bloody cold
Nick[/quote]

Nah, wasn't that cold, I was out in mine at a PH meet over in Ombersley ;)

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Nick
Great choice. I would have bought this, had I not bought my X30 KTM a month or so before.

I have a very similar opinion to yours on the differences between the two cars. I changed from my Atom 300 to the X-Bow after having a good dice at Rockingham with two other 360bhp X-Bows. I can conform after doing a drag from the chicane at 30mph to 130mph that the two cars were near identical in straight line speed, there really was nothing between them. The Atom definately feels quicker and you go through more gears, but in reality it is the same.

Cornering and braking is where it's at with the X-Bow. I was seriously left for dust by them around the corners and believe me, neither of the other two drivers of the X-Bows were any more capable than I. All through the corner at the end of the start/finish straight I was scrubbing all four wheels at silly speeds and the X-Bow was just so calm all the way through with not even a twitch at this speed. Then when I had to brake for the hairpin at well over 130, the X-bow went flying past and braking another 50 yards further on.

I paid a little more for my 9 month old X-bow than I did for my 2 year old Atom at the beginning of last year. Altough the list price of X-Bows is astoundingly high, there are plenty of deals to be had  ;)

Value for money..... I'll let you decide which you would prefer.

Two brilliant cars, and two totally different drives. The Atom is a very involving car that makes you feel every part of the drive. The X-Bow is only very involving when at the edge. One thing that is seriously pants though as Nick said, is the gearchange. I've not fluffed one yet, but it is very fluffy. I let Mike Wilds have a play at Silverstone last year and he missed a couple of changes. Something that I think is as good as it gets in the Atom and paired with the engine they are a match made in heaven and a compromise in the KTM.

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:46 am

Hi Rosco,

You are right the Atom does feel a lot faster, maybe because you are slightly more exposed to the elements. I don't know what power you are running with yours, but mine with the 360 package feels like it could cope with a lot more power,the chassis is that good!

You say you had a play with 2 other x bow's, was the owner of the one called scott by any chance? if so he gave me a few passenger laps round silverstone a while back,  he was fast, talk about last of the late breakers! mind you it was fairly dry that day.

How do you feel about the exhaust, is yours standard?

Nick

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:17 am

[quote="nickyboy"]
Hi Rosco,

You are right the Atom does feel a lot faster, maybe because you are slightly more exposed to the elements. I don't know what power you are running with yours, but mine with the 360 package feels like it could cope with a lot more power,the chassis is that good!

You say you had a play with 2 other x bow's, was the owner of the one called scott by any chance? if so he gave me a few passenger laps round silverstone a while back,  he was fast, talk about last of the late breakers! mind you it was fairly dry that day.

How do you feel about the exhaust, is yours standard?

Nick

[/quote]

Hi Nick
Yes it was Scott Law and another mate Dave Thomas that I had a tussle with. Scott is bestist buddies with Mark from Backdraft and I'm sure he is the "unknown" sales exec for KTM UK  ;D

Mine has a remap and uprated intercooler, so approx 280bhp. I may well get the 360 upgrade, but not sure yet.

Late braking? That's exactly what you can do in the X-Bow, with great confidence  ;)

As for the exhaust, my hoover sounds more powerful! ;D

I'm off to Silverstone tomorrow, so hopefully it will be dry all day.

Have fun

nickthegreek

Post by nickthegreek » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:23 pm

You too...keep it on the tarmac!!!

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm at Silverstone tomorrow too - come and say HI!

Rich

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm

In the Atom or the GT-R?

Have you tracked your GT-R in the wet yet? Brilliant machines I tell thee, but I wouldn't want the tyre bill after a dry day! :o