MP4-12c

Trigger

Re: MP4-12c

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

London dealer = Welwyn garden City in Herts.......ummm....I will just go to the factory in Weybridge then.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
London dealer = Welwyn garden City in Herts.......ummm....I will just go to the factory in Weybridge then.
[/quote]

Do that as soon as you can then it will be in the main technology centre rather than the new building that will be built for automotive, then go again when the new building is open.

Ben

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Wife's cousin works in the Automotive department so hoping to get a visit soon.

ross

Post by ross » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 pm

Had a call from Sytner's today, I'm going to the MTC on the 6th July to have a look. Will have to make sure I leave my wallet at home I think!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:00 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
Wife's cousin works in the Automotive department so hoping to get a visit soon.
[/quote]

What is his name ?  PM me if you like, I know a few people there now although mostly in the race team.

RichardR

Post by RichardR » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
Had a call from Sytner's today, I'm going to the MTC on the 6th July to have a look. Will have to make sure I leave my wallet at home I think!
[/quote]

Are you sure it's not the 7th, as I'm going along then. One of the dealers is a personal friend so I know a fair bit more than is in the public domain. Apparently McLaren has threatened all dealers with instant loss of rights if any info is leaked.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:12 pm

What really irritates me is that Frank Lampard for example has had a full tour/presentation at HQ already (wife's cousin did it) - why is his money better than mine ?

Trigger

ross

Post by ross » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:43 pm

[quote="RichardR"]
[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

Are you sure it's not the 7th, as I'm going along then. One of the dealers is a personal friend so I know a fair bit more than is in the public domain. Apparently McLaren has threatened all dealers with instant loss of rights if any info is leaked.
[/quote]

Yeah, says the 6th on my invite but I guess they're spreading the load over a few days.

ross

Post by ross » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 am

So I've got my viewing/tour tomorrow and I suspect I'll be tempted to think seriously about one of these.  Oddly Seema (my wife) doesn't seem to have an objection but honestly I'm not sure I'll ever be capable of bring myself to spend this kind of money on anything other than property.

So my question is, what is it like to own a supercar of this ilk?  I'm in the very fortunate position to be able to buy one, but I've not got so much money that money isn't an issue and I suspect I'm too tight/sensible to actually live with my conscience and the running costs.

Anyone here have any experience of running costs (ie. insurance, depreciation, servicing) of something like this that they'd be willing to share?

Am I right in thinking that because I'm even wondering about the costs of owning something like this, I clearly shouldn't be buying one?

The reason I think I'll desperately want one is because at this stage (and for some time) they'll be comparatively rare and novel and also because I suspect Ron Denis' quest for perfection will mean this car has exactly the kind of detail that I lust after in any engineered object.

I should probably just take the tour, have a good look and then walk away - perhaps knowing I could have one should be enough?  I think having kids has made me too old and too sensible.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:18 am

Ross - I am totally the same (except my wife isnt quite so calm !!)

I have my tour round the car this Friday at McLaren HQ....cant wait but I have very similar concerns. As you say, maybe if I have to consider the cost I shouldnt buy it !!!!

Deposit is only £15k (only !!) which is fully refundable so I guess I will pay that and then the real decision will be delayed into next year !!!

T

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:25 am

I suspect that if you are lucky enough to get one of the first you could move it on after six months having only taken a very small financial hit or possibly even break even.  Then again I had plans to do that with an Aston V8 Vantage which luckily I did not follow through as I would have lost a fair bit..... 

ross

Post by ross » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:29 am

[quote="Trigger"]

I have my tour round the car this Friday at McLaren HQ....cant wait but I have very similar concerns. As you say, maybe if I have to consider the cost I shouldnt buy it !!!!

Deposit is only £15k (only !!) which is fully refundable so I guess I will pay that and then the real decision will be delayed into next year !!!

T
[/quote]

Ah, interesting that you've got the figure for the deposit and that it's refundable.  I asked about this and Sytner's told me that the deposit wasn't refundable - can't say I'm too keen on putting a non-refundable deposit on anything that I've not been able to even try (was the case with KTM) but if it's refundable then that might be do-able and I can see how business and the economy pans out this year.

Maybe we should go halves? ;)  Or thirds Ben?

ross

Post by ross » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:33 am

[quote="benyeats"]
I suspect that if you are lucky enough to get one of the first you could move it on after six months having only taken a very small financial hit or possibly even break even.  Then again I had plans to do that with an Aston V8 Vantage which luckily I did not follow through as I would have lost a fair bit..... 
[/quote]

Yeah, if only every car held it's value like an Atom!

Very hard to say how the depreciation will go with this.  Technically I'm sure the car will be mint, but I doubt it'll go down in history as design classic and if McLaren really do get their volumes up and waiting list down that could be bad news for owners in the long run.

Desirable cars with a 12 - 18 month waiting list and crappy savings rates are nirvana for car addicts with cash!

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:51 am

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[quote="Trigger"]

T
[/quote]

Ah, interesting that you've got the figure for the deposit and that it's refundable.  I asked about this and Sytner's told me that the deposit wasn't refundable - can't say I'm too keen on putting a non-refundable deposit on anything that I've not been able to even try (was the case with KTM) but if it's refundable then that might be do-able and I can see how business and the economy pans out this year.

Maybe we should go halves? ;)  Or thirds Ben?
[/quote]

Well I could afford 1/3 of the deposit.....

Recent examples where speculators have lost out have been the Audi R8 and Aston V8, but neither of those has the cache of being a McLaren, the Aston comes close but was unfavorably reviewed compared to the 911 which probably did not help.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am

I have doubts over what can be made as a speculator tbh. With the volume they are trying for (100 cars I am told in 2011) it will be rare but not THAT rare - and how many buyers of £200k cars are there ? Once the options are ticked (and who wont tick ceramic brakes, carbon this and that, full electronics pack etc) it WILL be a £200k car.

Scary. (well for me anyway).