MP4-12c

ross

Re: MP4-12c

Post by ross » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Yep, it was good wasn't it Ben.  If they can do what they're say they're going to do (no reason to think they won't) then owning one of their road cars should be quite an experience!  I wish there was more info on the 911 segment car they're planning as that would be more in my league.  I really fancy an MP412-C but suspect that it'll be beyond my reach unfortunately - no news on the final price at the moment unfortunately.

Nice to see that it's not too large and the CO2 isn't stratospheric (both things they promised), similar proportions to an R8.

Cheers, Ross.

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:13 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
... - no news on the final price at the moment unfortunately.
[/quote]

Not surprising, I guess, with delivery still almost a year away.
From: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010031 ... /100319851
"The car enters production late this year and begins arriving on the market in early 2011. McLaren plans to make 1,000 cars in the first full year. The company is going for the market segment of cars priced between $190,000 and $270,000."
That's a pretty big window  :)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:59 pm

It surprises me that this all British car keeps being shown with the steering wheel on the correct side.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Personally I find it bloody irritating !!
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:12 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

Yes I noticed that and it has annoyed me greatly. 

ross

Post by ross » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I guess it's just down to where they've been doing lots of testing.

Bungle

Post by Bungle » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:08 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
[quote="dp35"]
I find it interesting that McLaren is having a go at building their own engine, at the same time that rumors & speculation indicate that Mercedes is starting to like Brawn's F1 team more than McLaren's.  Could this be a hint of McLaren possibly building their own F1 engines in the future? 
[/quote]

I never thought that McLaren and Mercedes would split, but once their contract is up, I think at the end of 2011, I think they both might go their seperate ways, which is a bummer. I am not sure in this financial climate if buying into another team would be the best plan for Mercedes.
[/quote]

Their contract won't be up as such, Mercedes own 40% of the team for a start.  Their relationship will certainly change with this change rumoured to be a result of McLaren's road car ambitions differing in philosophy from Mercedes.  Wonder if I will see less Mercs in the McLaren car park next time I visit!

The MP4-12 is certainly ahead of the 458 it has a carbon fibre chassis for a start which is not a feature on any Ferraris short of the Enzo iirc.  Hope McLaren can get the engine reliable if so they have a winner IMO

Ben
[/quote]
I thought the Mercedes 6.2 (its not really a 6.3) was a lightweight design.  I understood it was lighter than the BMW M3's 4.0 V8, and it it sounds just amazing. 

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn't matter if it's on the left or the right side....it's still irritating.  The McClaren wheel should be in the CENTER.  :doh:

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:13 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

that you drive on the wrong side of the road?

haha j/k boys settle down now  >:D :angel:

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:29 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For road work the side the steering wheel is on is irrelevent for track work RHD is the only answer what with most circuits being clockwise and most talented drivers being from RHD countries ;)

Ben

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="silver"]
[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For road work the side the steering wheel is on is irrelevent for track work RHD is the only answer what with most circuits being clockwise and most talented drivers being from RHD countries ;)

Ben
[/quote]

really the best nascar drivers are from RHD countries hahahhaha  whew I really did LOL on that one where the beer mug smiley when I need one  :tu:

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:36 pm

He said the 'best' drivers - not Nascar drivers......who only go in circles anyway.....

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 pm

[quote="silver"]
[quote="Trigger"]
really the best nascar drivers are ...
[/quote]

He said the 'best' drivers - not Nascar drivers......who only go in circles anyway.....
[/quote]

Agree. Racing in circles. Honestly  ::)    :laugh:

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I never thought that McLaren and Mercedes would split, but once their contract is up, I think at the end of 2011, I think they both might go their seperate ways, which is a bummer. I am not sure in this financial climate if buying into another team would be the best plan for Mercedes.
[/quote]

Their contract won't be up as such, Mercedes own 40% of the team for a start.  Their relationship will certainly change with this change rumoured to be a result of McLaren's road car ambitions differing in philosophy from Mercedes.  Wonder if I will see less Mercs in the McLaren car park next time I visit!

[/quote]

11% now apparently.                http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport ... 11723.html

silver

Post by silver » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:52 pm

[quote="Trigger"]
[/quote]

:D ;D it is fun though I've done it, in the states the tracks at least Texas motor speedway lets you rent a nascar and go for 10 20 or 30 laps.  they are the old nextel cup cars...not really old per se but used, and the only thing that's different is they are limited to 170mph.

I took that baby around that track and I hit the rev limiter a few times so I know I hit 170mph, passed a bunch of people that weren't comfortable going that fast, it was a hell of a trip.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Gotta be honest - I would love to do that.