A new toy...

DFext37 Fielding

Re: A new toy...

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:30 pm

glad you found one Ross, now join Porsche club GB...

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:52 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
Isn't the sterring wheel on the wrong side? ;D ;D

Nice car. Looks to be well kept and original. :tu: :tu: Is that carburetted or FI.?
[/quote]

The T is carburetor

The E & S are FI
[/quote]

E being the first letter of Eispritzung (or something like that) the German word for injection.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:10 pm

[quote="Driver"]
Why such a older one? Cheaper to insure? Nostalgia? You wanted the air cooled one? ???

I almost bought a 67 911 S model once, 20 years or so ago, but the guy got greedy at the last minute and jacked the price way up.
[/quote]

Always fancied a 911, but wanted a pre-impact bumper version and the 2.4 cars from that era are pretty much the last of the really classic 911 before they started gaining weight and pandering to safety regulations etc.  Prices of these have been going up and up over the last few years so figured I'd better get one before all the models go silly pricewise.  It would have been far more sensible and cheaper to go for a later car though but where's the fun in that!

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:12 pm

[quote="Stevo"]
Looks lovely. What's the official name/code for the blue, Ross? I'm doing a bit of research for when the time comes to spec my 3.
[/quote]

Thanks Steve, it's Gemini Blue Metallic which was an option in 1972, code 330, number 8610/8686 (from a Porsche GB doc I have with the car) but I doubt those numbers will help you to be honest.  It is a nice colour though.

Cheers, Ross.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]

Nice car. Looks to be well kept and original. :tu: :tu: Is that carburetted or FI.?
[/quote]

The T is carburetor

The E & S are FI
[/quote]

...except in the US where all the models had Bosch mechanical Fuel Injection to help get them through the emissions regs.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:18 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
[/quote]

Yeah, although having driven it now, it really makes very little difference and purists of these old cars seem to indicate that LHD is better because 'it's the way they were intended' and RHD cars apparently have their pedals offset from the ideal position slightly.  Anyhow, finding RHD versions is even harder and would possibly limit the market for resale in the future to the UK (or Japan, Australia I guess) and owners of RHD cars also tend to over value their cars when they sell them based on the fact that they're RHD.

Cheers, Ross.

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:45 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

Nice shed Ross...
Attachments
exterior1.jpg
exterior1.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Last edited by DFext37 Fielding on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:09 pm

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Very nice car Ross and I love the gates to your driveway.

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:31 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]

Yeah, keeps the peasants and 'Dext-a-likes' off the land. ;)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:42 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]

Yeah, keeps the peasants and 'Dext-a-likes' off the land. ;)
[/quote]

Bit harsh on the peasants don't you think ?

Ben

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:44 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[quote="Alec"]
[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]

[/quote]

The T is carburetor

The E & S are FI
[/quote]

...except in the US where all the models had Bosch mechanical Fuel Injection to help get them through the emissions regs.
[/quote]

Obviously.  Was quite amazing how rubbish manufacturers were at adapting to early US emissions regs, Mercedes engines that were 200bhp ish in Euro trim would be about 110bhp post emissions strangulation, quite a testament to R&D in the car industry that the BHP figures are now more or less equal for each territory.

Ben

DFext37 Fielding

Post by DFext37 Fielding » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Fancy a race Ross?, just remember i have access to a faster 911, and a prettier 356...

(TBH, your car is lovely, look after it, watch out for the brade fluid seal, sometimes loose)

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:06 pm

[quote="Dext37 Fielding"]
Fancy a race Ross?, just remember i have access to a faster 911, and a prettier 356...

(TBH, your car is lovely, look after it, watch out for the brade fluid seal, sometimes loose)
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip Dext ;)

ross

Post by ross » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:07 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
Bit harsh on the peasants don't you think ?
[/quote]

You're right Ben, we could have an open day for them at the weekends, but would still have to keep the Dext-a-likes out - couldn't stoop that low I'm afraid.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Room for the baby seat?