PORSCHE ADVICE

kaygee

PORSCHE ADVICE

Post by kaygee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi

I know this isn't a porsche forum, but am aware that alot of people on this forum have/have had a 911.
Just need a bit of help.

I am looking to buy either:

2003-2004 996 GT2

or

2003-2004 996 GT3 RS

Both are similar money, but seeing as i will be doing maybe 3-4k miles per year, i am looking for low depreciation- if at all possible.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Karl

CalScot

Re: PORSCHE ADVICE

Post by CalScot » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:11 pm

The RS all day long in my book!
Nice to have such tough choices in life. :)

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:36 pm

Ditto GT3 RS has a really sweet engine and screams without turbo.  I second Calscot's motion.
The Porsche purist would recognise the GT3 RS as a more focussed track tool (for the well heeled)

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:46 pm

I am not expert but arent they 2 very different propositions ? The GT2 I thought was a more powerful/extreme 911 Turbo, against a track focused machine like the GT3 RS - which is lighter and handling is meant to be superior. Depends what you want therefore.
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:49 pm

very true trigger- just really wanted to know what people thought of both models, plus/minus points etc.

cheers

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Karl

have owned a GT3RS from new in 2004

Anything you want to know - just list your questions.  I'd like to think, through my advice - there have been 2 people on this forum and another guy who all now own one.  It is a superb machine but VERY difficult to find a good one now.
Cheers
Jon B

jon b

Post by jon b » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:56 pm

If your decision is mainly influenced by low depreciation - GT2 took a massive hit early on its life- as can be seen by current price levels.  The RS has not

There were two variants of 996 GT2 - the first had a little bit of a bad handling reputation.  The later version took most of the GT3 suspension - so most negative traits were dialled out

GT2 is a Twin Turbo with no traction control - it is, in effect, a Turbo without 4 wheel drive and no traction control

RS is a very different animal - its all about the engine and finesse of the car

Apples and Pears - just depends what you want from a car and how you want it to feel

kaygee

Post by kaygee » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:56 pm

Hi Jon

what do you mean "hard to find a good one"??

All advice will be greatly appreciated as its taken me 6 months to get to the GT3RS/GT2 decision!!!

There are plenty of both on Autotrader/ebay- and whatever i buy, i will get it thoroughly inspected prior to purchase.

thanks again

Karl