220 on Ebay!

Any model, wanted or for sale...
SCOREWRITER

220 on Ebay!

Post by SCOREWRITER » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:30 pm

I've decided to try my luck with my 220 on ebay. Bit daft I know , but hey! I have to say I haven't really tried too hard to sell it (as the sun has been shining), only sticking it up on PistonHeads - and of course Atom Club up till now.

I'm a tad confused by the lack of a sale (or indeed any serious offers). I know the buyers are out there - I've still got an assurance from Tom that he could sell it tommorow for more or less what I paid for it in May, and as far as I'm aware, 220's are still as rare as rocking horse poo to get hold of.

Don't get me wrong, I've had lot's of interest, but mainly from people who are thinking Mk1 money...but I'm suprised by the little amount of responses by serious buyers who have done their homework and know the relative values of the Mk2's. Perhaps folks need the assurance of buying from the factory, even secondhand?

Fastbuck - how did Autotrader go for you?

John Lloyd

Re: 220 on Ebay!

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:34 pm

Sorry?  You only bought the car in May and you are already trying to sell it? (Or have I miss read your comments?) If it doesn't affect the sale why are you selling?

I love my 220.  (Even when I shove it into a concrete wall.)  Anything more poweful would scare me shitless and any thing less powerful would send me to sleep.  ;D

SCOREWRITER

Post by SCOREWRITER » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:57 pm

Oh Johnny boy, why do you tease me so?

I've already sold my granny, wife, kids and clothes. I've stopped eating the pies and I am drinking tap water instead of Champagne. Cashed in the insurance policy, double mortgaged the house, checked down the back of the sofa for loose change and given myself an unfeasibly large pay rise.

John, I've tried everything. Sadly, I am beaten. I have had to admit defeat. I need the money for and seriously super investment deal. 
I too love the Atom. It is unique. I have vowed I will once again be an Atom owner in a year or two - when hopefully my little transaction will bring me a big stack of cash. I guess I will have to get used to being bored for a while...

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:08 pm

[quote="SCOREWRITER"]
Oh Johnny boy, why do you tease me so?

I've already sold my granny, wife, kids and clothes. I've stopped eating the pies and I am drinking tap water instead of Champagne. Cashed in the insurance policy, double mortgaged the house, checked down the back of the sofa for loose change and given myself an unfeasibly large pay rise.

John, I've tried everything. Sadly, I am beaten. I have had to admit defeat. I need the money for and seriously super investment deal. 
I too love the Atom. It is unique. I have vowed I will once again be an Atom owner in a year or two - when hopefully my little transaction will bring me a big stack of cash. I guess I will have to get used to being bored for a while...
[/quote]

You'll loose money on the deal and a friend who advised you.  So stick with the car and have loads of fun!  ;)

SCOREWRITER

Post by SCOREWRITER » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
[/quote]

You'll loose money on the deal and a friend who advised you.  So stick with the car and have loads of fun!  ;)
[quote][/quote]

Cheeky monkey. Now, off to bed with you, it's school in the morning!

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:24 pm

Look on this board there is someone called Guy who wants to buy a 220.  Better send him a personnal message.

SCOREWRITER

Post by SCOREWRITER » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:28 pm

Thanks john, but we've already conversed. Unfortunately Guy has got a little less money than Tom could get for me (even allowing for Ariel's 8%...). Shame.

David Ryan

Post by David Ryan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:02 am

What reserve price will you be setting on e-bay?

I suspect that if it was a 245 or a 300 your expectation of getting back every penny that you paid for it might be more realistic.

Considering that the new owner would be getting a car with two previous owners and a history of accident damage which was repaired outside the factory and that a new one would not be much more and that the original advert for it from the previous owner is still on show at the same price as you are asking but with only 200 miles on the clock, maybe you are being a tad unrealistic.

You seem to be suggesting that Atoms are not as buoyant on the market as they should be. Could it be that you are aiming a little high with the price?

To say that you have not had any realistic offers is a bit storng.

Just to set the record straight.......

Ariel would have effectively given you 8% less that you paid for it and I offerd you £24,500.00 CASH some weeks ago and would have gone to 25K had you wanted to negotiate !

I don't think it is the offers that you are getting which are unrealistic.

Name another car that suffers such miniscule depreciation.

Good luck on e-bay. ;)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:56 am

Check it out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARIEL-ATOM-220_W0 ... dZViewItem

First time I've ever seen one on eBay

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:06 am

There have been a couple on eBay before...

Good luck with that. Are you mentioning it on PH? I think you probably should...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

SCOREWRITER

Post by SCOREWRITER » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:41 am

[quote="David Ryan"]
What reserve price will you be setting on e-bay?

I suspect that if it was a 245 or a 300 your expectation of getting back every penny that you paid for it might be more realistic.

Considering that the new owner would be getting a car with two previous owners and a history of accident damage which was repaired outside the factory and that a new one would not be much more and that the original advert for it from the previous owner is still on show at the same price as you are asking but with only 200 miles on the clock, maybe you are being a tad unrealistic.

You seem to be suggesting that Atoms are not as buoyant on the market as they should be. Could it be that you are aiming a little high with the price?

To say that you have not had any realistic offers is a bit storng.

Just to set the record straight.......

Ariel would have effectively given you 8% less that you paid for it and I offerd you £24,500.00 CASH some weeks ago and would have gone to 25K had you wanted to negotiate !

I don't think it is the offers that you are getting which are unrealistic.

Name another car that suffers such miniscule depreciation.

Good luck on e-bay. ;)
[/quote]

My pricing is based on Tom's suggested sale price from the factory of around £27k to £27.5k. It's not unreasonable therefore to expect to get only a little less on the open market. MC's 220 went for not much less, with 10k on the clock and a known history of very hard driving.

The car still only has 1700 miles of mostly road driving, and all the repairs were checked and verified by the guys at Big Thunder (on the reccomendation of Simon), so no problems there.

The reason I declined your offer David is that I could get the factory to sell it for me and even after they have taken their 8%, I would still come out of it with £25.5k. I think perhaps you are the one being unrealistic thinking you could pick up a 220 for 24.5k...

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:36 pm

Good luck selling your Atom, will be interested to see what sort of response you get from eBay.

Anyway, as I said, good luck and hope you return to the Atom at a later date.

SCOREWRITER

Post by SCOREWRITER » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm

Thanks John. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've not kept up to speed on the forum lately. Have you got you 245 yet?

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:50 pm

July, August, September - maybe October!!!

Still waiting and I know it'll be worth it and in an odd way make the whole occasion of collecting it even more special.

I do hate waiting though, especially when deadlines come and go.

I'm not to active on the forum these days either ;)

Lucky-Luke

Post by Lucky-Luke » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:01 pm

And....???? Still not sold ? Any contact on ebay ?

See you ;)