Nomad18" wheelset with nearly new tyres - SOLD

Any model, wanted or for sale...
A7DUO

Nomad18" wheelset with nearly new tyres - SOLD

Post by A7DUO » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Create your very own NomadR variant with this nearly new wheelset I received as a spare set with my Nomad I will probably not use and its just taking up space:
4x Nomad 18x8" wheels x4 in black, shod with;
4x Avon ZZR 225/40/R18 (rrp £250ea, and these tyres have done less than 50 miles on road)

(cost nearly £2k this lot as a factory option on the original factory invoice)

Basically: this wheel set is exactly what you need if you want to have really good 2nd set specifically for trackdays or summer road use with your nomad as the ZZR is pretty epic, I have used a similar setup on my Caterham that I do track days with ZZR's - but it is very unlikely I will ever need these for the Nomad, so:
..... £1000 to club members collected from either Kent or Powys counties, although, I can deliver along the M4 corridor.

I may split if need be, subject to availability (but if so - bare 18" wheels are £850 and tyres are £425 separately or buy the lot for £1000)
no offers, else I my a well keep them as give in the garage loft as spares, but interesting swaps may be considered (Ariel parts, cycling-related, kayaking and motorcycle-related only, although I am after an open or enclosed car trailer for the Nomad too with cash either way).

I am no sure what wheels Atom uses - so I am advertising them specifically as Nomad wheels, but those in the know will know if they are of any use to Atom owner too?
(photos to follow soon)

Karl V

Re: Nomad18" wheelset with nearly new tyres - perfect for fast road or track use

Post by Karl V » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm

[mention]A7DUO[/mention] - some of the images seem to have gone AWOl. If I can help tinker to get them back, let me know.

In other news, the Club has recently launched a dedicated 'For Sale' group on Facialbook. Not sure if you hangout on Facialbook or not, but if you do, feel free to post there too....

One way or the other, hopefully we can help you sell some stuff...

:tu:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/377798693266272/

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Nomad18" wheelset with nearly new tyres - perfect for fast road or track use

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am

These 18 inch wheels won’t fit on an Atom.

The Atom 4 standard wheels are :-

7x16 inch Front
9x17 inch Rear
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:31 am

Tempted - really tempted. Is the rolling circumference much different than the 15" Geolanders? Don't want to get into recalibration.

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am

There is a bit of a difference between the 235/75 R15 and 225/40 R18. The 15in tyre has a diameter of ~735mm vs ~640mm for the 18in. Unless you are planning on doing a load of miles in the 18in I'd not worry about the difference.

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks John for your wisdom on Atom compatibility, or lack of it in fact. Parts at Ariel did say somethign similar when I was there (ie this was a £2k option bought specifically for the Nomad when new).

When fitted briefly to my car on delivery I struggled to spot a difference comparing displayed speed of these 18's compared to the 15's I decided to fit and stick with instead - however I have the manual for the display and changing the calibration is really not that difficult if you want to get it spot on. I am to re-measure the rolling circumference on the tyres on my 15's and get it spot on at some point too - but haven't quite got around to that yet (another job on the list for the long dark winter months after work in the evenings in the garage).

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:02 am

Karl V wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:08 pm @A7DUO - some of the images seem to have gone AWOl. If I can help tinker to get them back, let me know.
Thank you Karl too - appreciated

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:05 am

nfcf wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am There is a bit of a difference between the 235/75 R15 and 225/40 R18. The 15in tyre has a diameter of ~735mm vs ~640mm for the 18in. Unless you are planning on doing a load of miles in the 18in I'd not worry about the difference.
Thank you nfcf too - outside diameter difference will be of interest to people too.

In fact another option of mine is to sell the tyres and get the Geolanders for 18" wheels or the BFG Advantage T/A Sport F:225/55/18 used on the US spec Nomad as standard to try. Still thinking about that depending on whether tyres or complete wheels sell first.

nfcf

Post by nfcf » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:22 am

A7DUO wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:54 am Thanks John for your wisdom on Atom compatibility, or lack of it in fact. Parts at Ariel did say somethign similar when I was there (ie this was a £2k option bought specifically for the Nomad when new).

When fitted briefly to my car on delivery I struggled to spot a difference comparing displayed speed of these 18's compared to the 15's I decided to fit and stick with instead - however I have the manual for the display and changing the calibration is really not that difficult if you want to get it spot on. I am to re-measure the rolling circumference on the tyres on my 15's and get it spot on at some point too - but haven't quite got around to that yet (another job on the list for the long dark winter months after work in the evenings in the garage).
2k sounds about right given the cost of zzr tyres. I can check the factory settings for 15in wheels this evening if you want. I'd just use the theoretical circumference though which is 2304mm.
A7DUO wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:05 am
nfcf wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am There is a bit of a difference between the 235/75 R15 and 225/40 R18. The 15in tyre has a diameter of ~735mm vs ~640mm for the 18in. Unless you are planning on doing a load of miles in the 18in I'd not worry about the difference.
Thank you nfcf too - outside diameter difference will be of interest to people too.

In fact another option of mine is to sell the tyres and get the Geolanders for 18" wheels or the BFG Advantage T/A Sport F:225/55/18 used on the US spec Nomad as standard to try. Still thinking about that depending on whether tyres or complete wheels sell first.
Personally I'd save the money and just use your 15in wheels instead of using A/T on 18in wheels. If you want a more road focused tyre which won't be crap in the wet I think Ariel used to offer AD08R tyres on the 18in wheels. Sadly the replacement AD08RS isn't meant to be as good.

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks NFCF - sound advice there. and as the Avon ZZR tyres are track tyres and not ideal in the wet on the road, I may change them out and sell them to someone who does a lot of work on track, if I don't sell them on the wheels in next week or two. The Yoko AD's sound worth investigating, and I wonder what the US Spec BFG's they use on the Nomad 'street' are like, or even if you can get them here?

A7DUO

Post by A7DUO » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:00 pm

UPDATE: Wheels Taken - thanks for the above discussion & interest.