Apparently, it was just a registration query...

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Bruce Fielding

Apparently, it was just a registration query...

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:18 am

Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Lucky-Luke

Re: Apparently, it was just a registration query...

Post by Lucky-Luke » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:02 pm

But this is the wrong finger !!!  ;D

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:28 pm

And where was it registered? People are wanting to know so they can check off states where it's possible. Specifically, Cali is a big one.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Laguna Beach - according to the police car (and the guy that sent me the pic) ... which is in California! Hooray!

The pic doesn't show the car being impounded and the driver being incarcerated afterwards, though...

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Figured it might've been one of brammos test mules. Good news if it made it through the Cali DMV!

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:06 pm

As far as I know there is not a legally registered car in califiornia, a SB100 might have been issued for a ATOM at this time but there is no way that you can get them registered right now as I read the current regs.  Its not a home built car, and it does no ship in small enough pieces for it to be considered a traditional component car.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:52 pm

[quote="stormbringer"]
As far as I know there is not a legally registered car in califiornia, a SB100 might have been issued for a ATOM at this time but there is no way that you can get them registered right now as I read the current regs.  Its not a home built car, and it does no ship in small enough pieces for it to be considered a traditional component car.
[/quote]

I wouldn't be so quick to naysay the possibility.  The Atom is being shipped in "component" status the same way that the Noble is, and they're getting registered via SB100 without problems.  If your worries about the the car not coming in enough pieces, i'm fairly sure you could have it shipped in various levels of dissassembly to meet the requirement.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:51 pm

[quote="stormbringer"]
As far as I know there is not a legally registered car in califiornia.
[/quote]

Yes there is.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:21 pm

BTW, I would REALLY REALLY like to know who the owner of that Atom is, and where/when the car's next public appearance would be.  It's awfully uncomfortable having an Atom on order sight unseen.  I've never seen one in person and would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to see (maybe even sit in) one in person. 

I believe the pictured Atom has made at least one appearance at Crystal Cove (a regular, unofficial "car show" which happens every Saturday morning at 7am in Laguna Beach, California).  That's a an hour and a half away from me.  I would happily make the trek down to see the car in person if I knew it were going to be there!  I would go down every week and stake out the site hoping the Atom would show, but I have too many irons in the fire to become a stalker.  :D

Is the owner perhaps a member?

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm

Bruce, I think what most people would like that are paying very close attention to registration issues, is what county it was registered and what paperwork the person had to do to get it through the DMV. Maybe the owner could elaborate on the process through you so others could feel more comfortable that are in lurk mode but curious.

stormbringer

Post by stormbringer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:09 pm

[quote="MrWoolery"]

I wouldn't be so quick to naysay the possibility.  The Atom is being shipped in "component" status the same way that the Noble is, and they're getting registered via SB100 without problems.  If your worries about the the car not coming in enough pieces, i'm fairly sure you could have it shipped in various levels of dissassembly to meet the requirement.
[/quote]

I have built close to 10 kit cars and the ATOM in no way shape or form passes what is required on paper for the SB100 bill (this is if it is shipped without motor attached). Now next to nobody actually reads the darn rulebook including the inspectors. (Cars like the superformance which ship complete but engine minus are not supposed to be covered under the SB100 bill to the letter of the law, now they still do get registered this way but they should not be) and as I know you can get a SB100 number at the begining of the year and drive the car in a limited fashion until you get a complete inspection, but that does not mean the registration is complete.

I am more excited then any of you if califonia is going to be letting them in, this is what has been keeping me from ordering one so far. But I still have my doubts as to the legality of these things. Until I see one with plates and a VIN sticker they still are not road legal and to the books.

California has in the past recended titles on kit cars because of registration errors.. I had one which I opwned which was a scratch built car in the 70's registered as the car it replicated only to have the title pulled when the next owner of the car was pulled over for speeding. Legal when it was registered (clearly as we had a vin a paper title in the system) but not up to current code. (Don;t ask how they justified this one I have no clue)

Its Caifornia its crazy out here.

Now if they ship the car in true kit fashion like say a Factory five car then I am sure that one could get them through legally. There is not much to a ATOM and you might be able to just squeeze by hair. But the motor is supposed to come from a seperate sourse then the builder of the kit which would be a possible problem.

Final though, I hope and pray that it passed and its legal, I have my money set aside for the deposit and if it did get through on a SB100 number or other means then sign me up I am ready to order.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:47 pm

A highly placed and reliable source said:

"That car has either gone through or is going through California registration at the moment.  There are already two cars with California plates, which were registered in 2005, so the answer is - yes it's possible."

I guess you chaps need to talk to Craig as he understands the process.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:01 am

Went to the Crystal Cove meet today, hoping to catch the Atom in attendance.  It wasn't there. :'(

However, I met a high school friend (he showed up with a Renault R5 Turbo 2) who says he knows the owner.  Apparently, he's a highly placed design guy for GM.  He's not a member of this forum, but maybe I can get word to him to arrange a visit (or maybe get him to sign up on the forum).  ;)

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:30 am

If it's who I think it is (and I'm pretty certain it is) I think he's actually coming back to Europe soon, so you might be too late...

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:45 am

Is that Simon Saunders driving the police car in the picture above?