Brammo told me to register the Atom as a specially constructed or kit car....

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
maverick1

Brammo told me to register the Atom as a specially constructed or kit car....

Post by maverick1 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:09 pm

Here is what I found for the state of California...
Registration Requirements for Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles 

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer(I thought Brammo was a licensed manufacturer from Ariel. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling, which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle which was dismantled (Vehicle Code §§5500 or 11520).

A specially constructed (SPCNS) vehicle does not include a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" modified with fenders, engine compartment lid, and the front end, which leaves the vehicle still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle.

NOTE: The registration requirements for kit commercial vehicles are the same as for specially constructed vehicles.

Visit DMV to begin the application process (make an appointment for faster service)

The Registration Requirements are:

* A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343). It must include the labor cost, even if it was a vehicle that you built.

* A vehicle verification. You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. Trailers generally do not require CHP verification.

* A Statement of Construction (REG 5036) and bill(s) of sale and receipts for major component parts. The REG 256 may also be used to comply with bond requirements (see below).

* Proof of ownership, such as, invoices, receipts, manufacturer's certificates of origin, bill(s) of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, body).

* Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for trailers weighing under 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

* A smog certification, if appropriate. For more information regarding the Bureau of Automotive Repair's smog program click here. For information on SPCNS Certificates of Sequence click here.

* A weight certificate, if appropriate.

* Fees due (use tax may also be due).
For those of you who have registered specially built or kit vehicles in the state of California, can you please comment on the procedure and if the Atom qualifies.
This subject is very important to me because I barely have the funds necessary to purchase the Atom, so a tow vehicle and trailer are out of the question. Plus I like the idea of blasting down the Pacific Coast Highway in the Atom.
cheers

Mr.Woolery

Re: Brammo told me to register the Atom as a specially constructed or kit car....

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:22 pm

In this case, Brammo isn't building the car, they're building the kit which is then constructed by the car owner (you).  In order to register the car in CA, the owner (you) must at least install the drivetrain.  Otherwise, the car isn't eligible to be registered under the specialty constructed vehicle law.

maverick1

MrWoolery, so if I get the car fully assembled without drivetrain, you think

Post by maverick1 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:38 pm

that it would still qualify as a kit car. I guess I should contact the California DMV and confirm before placing my order. Thanks for the info. Since the Atom does not come with a windshield and wipers do you think it will pass without them?? Like I mentioned before, Brammo told me that there were 2 Atoms registered in the state of CA.
cheers

Mr.Woolery

Re: Brammo told me to register the Atom as a specially constructed or kit car....

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:29 pm

I'm unsure about the windshield situation.  I figure that if two other Atoms got registerd that way, I could do the same.  Worst case scenario is I fabricate a windshield solution.  Very doable.

Bruce Fielding

Re: MrWoolery, so if I get the car fully assembled without drivetrain, you think

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:15 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
that it would still qualify as a kit car. I guess I should contact the California DMV and confirm before placing my order. Thanks for the info. Since the Atom does not come with a windshield and wipers do you think it will pass without them?? Like I mentioned before, Brammo told me that there were 2 Atoms registered in the state of CA.
cheers
[/quote]

AFAIK they were brought in from the UK under the amnesty that CA offers a certain number of cars every year...

Could be wrong, but I don't think I am...

In which case, nothing historic applies.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

xs10shl

Re: Brammo told me to register the Atom as a specially constructed or kit car...

Post by xs10shl » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 am

I'm also planning on registering an Atom in CA - so the very first thing I did to prepare for this is to order it as a vehicle + drivetrain kit (which saves you some money).  I've also ordered the bubble windscreen, and lighting kit.  I expect that a few additional pieces will be required by CA, such as a front license plate bracket - thankfully things like that can be easily made.

Other than that, I think the process will be a number of trips back and forth to the DMV until all the nitpicky rules are satisfied.  I'm not sure if the DMV will consider the bubble windscreen acceptable, but it wouldn't be too hard to manufacture another screen to mount on the car. 

I can (can't?)  hardly wait!

DerekFSU

Post by DerekFSU » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:06 pm

There are a few guys on nobleforums.com, namely Gabe who runs it, who have registered their Noble the same way in CA.  Here's a link to what they have come up with:
http://www.nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=187