Can registration be revoked?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
cshama

Can registration be revoked?

Post by cshama » Wed May 02, 2007 1:34 am

Lets say you register your car in a state and you get your plates and have given all the documents they require etc. Is the DMV entitled to revoke the registration at a later date? What happens to the sales tax paid?

rfmarz@frontiernet

Re: Can registration be revoked?

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed May 02, 2007 1:43 am

I just hope none of us ever has to go there.

cshama

Post by cshama » Wed May 02, 2007 1:44 am

amen to that ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed May 02, 2007 1:48 am

yes, it's happened

cshama

Post by cshama » Wed May 02, 2007 2:05 am

[quote="bolus"]
yes, it's happened
[/quote]

Who to- and why may I ask?

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed May 02, 2007 2:27 am

Ill PM you, not sure it is public knowledge

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed May 02, 2007 2:37 am

Could you PM me the details as well?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed May 02, 2007 2:57 am

[quote="cshama"]
Lets say you register your car in a state and you get your plates and have given all the documents they require etc. Is the DMV entitled to revoke the registration at a later date? What happens to the sales tax paid?
[/quote]

When I was at the NJ MVC today they mentioned that if I had been successful at registering it back in September 2006 at the first agency I went to, they would have revoked the registration.

While I am neither an MVC spokesperson nor an attorney, sales tax is due when ownership transfers due to a sale, gift, etc. If a registration was revoked, say due to an error on the part of the DMV (as opposed to fraud on the part of the owner), you would still have the title to the vehicle. If you were then to move to another state, no sales tax would be due as ownership hasn't changed. Note that some states have a personal property tax, etc. which is assessed on things like cars, so that would still be due in the new state.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Wed May 02, 2007 3:33 am

I have had cars in NY get the registration stopped, but not revoked. Letters came (2 different occassions) that said I would not be allowed to re-register the car.  This can happen if a salvage vehicle slips through the reg process (as in my case) and, from what I am told, if the car has not been inspected by a NYS inspection station, as it communicate to DMV that the car has or hasent been inspected, prior to re-registration.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 am

[quote="cshama"]
[/quote]

Absolutely.  As they say, "driving is a privilege, not a right".  You are completely entitled to owning your vehicle, but registration is entirely at the discretion of the government.  If they don't like the way you eat an egg sandwich, they can revoke your right to drive.

cranius

Once your car is titled, can "they" take the title away?

Post by cranius » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Long story short: I got pulled over for the first time today since owning the Atom for a whole month! I wasn't breaking any laws, fortunately. It was a local cop who wanted to play hardball. He gave the car a real looking-over and even kicked the front plastic radiator cover (thanks asshole) while asking me where my 5mph bumpers were. He was a true jerk in ever possible sense. Anyway, after seeing my license, registration, and insurance, he RELUCTANTLY decided to let me go but warned that if a state trooper or sheriff pulled me over that he probably wouldn't go so easy on me. Hence, my question.

I bought my car used from Gage & Moysley. My purchase included a friendly little title with the words "Ariel Atom" on it from the good state of Mississippi. My registration process here in Indiana was easy and they just made a special classification for "Ariel Atom" in their computers. I simply showed them the title, showed them the VIN-plate on the car, the insurance card, and away we went. I was given an Indiana title with Ariel Atom on it the same day. No inspection, no nothing (no emissions tests in my county). What I'm wondering is if this cop actually was telling the truth. Could a state trooper/sheriff pull me over and say "Oh, look, no 5mph bumpers. Your car is not street legal." ? Basically, the cop said "Just because the DMV registered it, doesn't mean its legal!". This is my first encounter with the classic WE MAKE THE LAWS AROUND HERE, SON style police officer, so maybe I should just not worry about it? Advice please!

bolus

Re: Once your car is titled, can "they" take the title away?

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Drive around slowly, let them see you and see that you are no harm and that should help.  look up the vehicle code requirements for passenger vehicles.  You dont want to argue with a cop but having knowledge of the laws can help a lot especially if there are exceptions for kit cars and the like.

Other than that, enjoy the car and dont worry about this guy.  The only one that got their plates revoted was Brammo in Oregon and that is now all fixed with new legislation. 

You have us and other groups like SEMA action network on your side. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:56 pm

Do some reading here:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/t ... 19/ch4.pdf

I just googling around so I'm not sure if this is the right information but it only looks like you need bumpers if they  originally came with the car

Passenger cars originally equipped with bumpers; bumper height
Sec. 1. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered
as a passenger car that was originally equipped with bumpers as
standard equipment must be so equipped. The bumper height may not
vary more than three (3) inches from the original manufactured
bumper height for the vehicle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

cranius

Post by cranius » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:05 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Do some reading here:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar19/

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/t ... 19/ch4.pdf

I just googling around so I'm not sure if this is the right information but it only looks like you need bumpers if they  originally came with the car

Passenger cars originally equipped with bumpers; bumper height
Sec. 1. When operated upon a highway, a motor vehicle registered
as a passenger car that was originally equipped with bumpers as
standard equipment must be so equipped. The bumper height may not
vary more than three (3) inches from the original manufactured
bumper height for the vehicle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

[/quote]

Oh wow, kick ass! Thank you so much. This is awesome information. I had so much trouble navigating indiana's stupid law site that I gave up. I owe you a beer or something!

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:12 pm

Print out the pertinent parts - for example stuff about  bumpers, fenders, windshields, wipers, etc and as long as your car fits or slips through a loop hole it you can use this with the cops.  I'm sure it would only make them more pissed but if they are threatening to tow your car it could save you.  Like an ace card in the sleeve.