Licensure in Georgia

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
rfmarz@frontiernet

Re: Licensure in Georgia

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Well, you know sloppyjoe, the government is here to protect us from ourselves. >:( >:(

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 01, 2007 1:53 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
Driver, I'll have to check on that real closely. :laugh: I really looks like that may be my only option- for real. :td:
[/quote]

[quote="sloppyjoe"]
I hope you have luck with SC, because it doesn't seem (at least from an insurance standpoint) that NC would be easy, and SC is only about 20 minutes away from me.
[/quote]

Pity that you're both at opposite ends of SC otherwise you could have shared a property there for this purpose.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 1:56 pm

Alec, you're always thinking. :laugh: What do you think Sloppyjoe? If we can find a tenth of an acre in S.C., maybe we could "move in together" :laugh: :o

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe » Tue May 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm not sure the wife would be okay with me moving in with somebody else  :o

Seriously, though, I wish I could help you. I'm just way too far off from ordering one right now. Great idea, though, alec, and not entirely unfeasible. SC isn't that large.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 2:56 pm

I just spoke with one of my patients who happens to work at an ajoining county DMV. She told me (sounding very knowingly) that it's not a problem to get a kit car registered-"you need to do it as a salvaged auto". She said people do it with kit bikes here all the time. Go figure. I MIGHT have an option :o :o. She said she'd fax me the appropriate forms. My fingers are CROSSED!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:58 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
I just spoke with one of my patients who happens to work at an adjoining county DMV. She told me (sounding very knowingly) that it's not a problem to get a kit car registered-"you need to do it as a salvaged auto". She said people do it with kit bikes here all the time. Go figure. I MIGHT have an option :o :o. She said she'd fax me the appropriate forms. My fingers are CROSSED!
[/quote]

Sometimes this proves to be the key, talking with the folks at the practical, day-to-day level. I work with that kind of people every day in my business and they know the in's and out's. In our state, the higher you go the less they know about what works. By the time you get tho the legislature, they haven't got a clue, especially since the advent of term limits. The most experienced legislator in our state has 6 years experience as he is forced out the door. I know many registration folks with 15 or more years of service.

Best wishes with your registration efforts. Sounds like ther's plenty of room for optimism.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 01, 2007 4:07 pm

Thanks Randy, I am very hopeful! I can't fathom the thought of letting the Atom sit in my hangar to be looked at.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 01, 2007 5:05 pm

I have a good feeling everything will work out.  Hang in there!  Try the approach I recommended in the PM

GPM30236

Post by GPM30236 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:42 pm

any  update  ?

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Hopefully something positive will occur this Wednesday. Right now, no new info.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:37 pm

New info from Georgia. The GA. Dept of Revenue sent a letter stating "the vehicle was not lawfully manufactured to be operated on public streets and highways. Therefore we cannot honor your request for a Georgia Certificate of Title. All vehicles must meet federal and state safety and emission standards".

I'm so happy that we can sell road rocket motorcycles to sixteen year olds as they meet state and federal safety and emission standards.

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:43 pm

The legalese equivalent of a brick wall.  Sorry to hear that, rfmarz.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:13 am

oh crap. that sucks.  what now?

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:37 am

I don't know. I have an email in to Jack Hill- senator from a nearby community- and a person fond of my local Kiwanis club. Since he is a member of the transportation committee, I have asked him to look into this. I witnessed a ~20 year old pickup without a bed 2 nights ago, spinning the tires with a blown muffler and a smoking engine. Good thing he meets state and federal safety and emission standards. Bunch of bull$h1t!

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat May 17, 2008 1:44 am

I just found out tonight from GA state Representative Tony Sellier, that the governor has signed Senate Bill 437 allowing the licensure of "kit cars" on the roads of the state of Georgia.  :tu: :tu: :tu: