CA guys: What paperwork do you carry with you?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
SteveH

CA guys: What paperwork do you carry with you?

Post by SteveH » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:37 pm

I just read a post from Spaz saying he was pulled over by a CHP of the "this car isn't street legal" mind.  Right now I just have my insurance card and my temporary registration.  Should I keep copies of everything?  What about copies of the vehicle code proving we don't need bumpers/windshield/etc?

What do you guys keep?  What has come in handy?

SteveH

Re: CA guys: What paperwork do you carry with you?

Post by SteveH » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:56 pm

?

I'll feel much more comfortable once I have plates on it, but that won't be for another month or so.

nickpoore

Re: CA guys: What paperwork do you carry with you?

Post by nickpoore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:08 pm

Before you have plates, you should have ALL of your paperwork with you at all times.
(Put them inside a FedEx letter package, and put that package inside a large zip-lock bag to keep everything dry.)
(Might be an idea to tape these to the tub behind the seats.)
(Make sure you have a copy of any documents you put in the car; you do not want to loose these.)

Afterwards, you are only required to carry Registration (or a copy of it) and proof of insurance.
However, also carrying CHP892 & CHP 885 is not a bad idea.
Also, print out CA Vehicle Code # 34710, 28071, 26700 & 26706.

Then get a FED EX clear envelope (designed to hold shipping labels onto the outside of their boxes.)
They are sticky on one side (the entire side), clear on both side, and have a zip-lock clasp.
They are easy to stick to the bulkhead (or tub) behind the seats, and hold all of your documents.  They are also pretty weather proof.