Texas registration, versus Title

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
silver

Re: Texas registration, versus Title

Post by silver » Tue May 08, 2007 3:12 am

Thanks guys....now comes the 1 year wait until emissions testing.  The inspections on non-new cars requires emissions, which also requires the MIL to be connected...I'm confident it'll pass once brammo gets the current issues resolved with the ecu and cat, then i'll be in hog-heaven.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 08, 2007 4:36 am

I wonder if anyone has passed emission testing anywhere yet

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 08, 2007 4:53 am

the guy at the inspection station actually did an emissions test on my car before I convinced him it wasn't necessary....it failed due to throwing codes, so I'm not sure if the emissions portion actually got completed, but, in Texas if your computer throws codes you will fail anyways.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 08, 2007 5:32 am

Congrats on the official title. Along with that is that valuable little sticker (actually 2 of them) that allow you to take it on the street. Still a milestone to pass.

FYI:  For some it's still just a visual test and thats it. Only the larger metro areas do emissions testing for now. Lots of rural counties don't. They'll issue you your State Inspection sticker and along with that Registration Sticker you are Golden.

silver

Post by silver » Tue May 08, 2007 5:35 am

Driver I've had my stickers since the day I got the car ;D  this was just the last step along the path :tu:

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 08, 2007 6:23 am

C ooo lllll! :tu:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 08, 2007 10:52 am

Congratulations, Silver. Now I hope that I can one day do just what you've done!

foobar12345

Post by foobar12345 » Fri May 11, 2007 2:29 pm

[quote="silver"]
the guy at the inspection station actually did an emissions test on my car before I convinced him it wasn't necessary....it failed due to throwing codes, so I'm not sure if the emissions portion actually got completed, but, in Texas if your computer throws codes you will fail anyways.
[/quote]

Is there a dongle out there which plugs into the OBDII port and intercepts the error codes so a plugged in reader goes clear.  States may prohibit that as illegal to prevent people doing this with garbage cars, but the Atom is fine from what I understand other than these spurious codes.

-Brad

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Sun May 27, 2007 2:16 pm

I got my Texas registration and plates last week.  I don't expect to have the same issue with the title because the DMV spent over an hour talking to people in Austin to make sure everything was ok.  Also, there was a VIN verification as part of the inspection.

I also have to get an emissions inspection next year.  I think it is now OBDII only instead of the 2-speed idle test.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:05 pm

Already got my title in the mail, so I guess there weren't any problems.  Now I have to decide on a plate!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:30 am

[quote="RyanD"]
Already got my title in the mail, so I guess there weren't any problems.  Now I have to decide on a plate!
[/quote]
"OMIGAWD" is cool or "ATOM 2" OR "ATOM II"

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:45 am

Maybe LIGHTW8, or POWR2W8

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 am

or  LT WEIGHT

forget how many characters Tx allows.. was it 7 or 8?

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 am

[quote="Driver"]
or  LT WEIGHT

forget how many characters Tx allows.. was it 7 or 8?
[/quote]

Only 6 unfortunately.  Makes things much more difficult.