Oregon registration update

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
bolus

Oregon registration update

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38 am

Just saw this article.  Looks like Brammo is going to get a whole law passed specifically for registering the Ariel Atom in Oregon. 

http://www.mailtribune.com/archive/2007 ... earing.htm

No emmision testing required.  Looks very promising

(read the last paragraph for  :o )

Karl

Re: Oregon registration update

Post by Karl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:46 am

I'm having a bit of difficulty interpreting the article.  Does it mean that, if you're not within 90 miles of a racetrack, you can't go on any road that has a speed limit higher than 55mph?  That's a bit of a weird limitation.  Do you know the reasoning behind this?

[quote="Don Jepsen"]It has all the safety features required for regular cars.[/quote]

Who knew?

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:48 am

Yeah that part was really weird.  Who knows,  the author probably got something mixed up.  if so though, should make for an interesting trip to Atomfest

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:49 am

I don't see any of the weird limitations on that bill, do they appear on a different bill?

[quote="House Bill 3527"]
SECTION 2. â??Racing activity vehicleâ?� means a motor vehicle that:
(1) Is primarily used for racing on a race track and that has:
(a) A bodiless tubular steel chassis that forms the main structural component of the
vehicle;
(b) High side rails;
(c) Integral front and rear rollover tubes;
(d) A suspension with both front and rear double unequal length wishbones and inboard,
pushrod operated dampers; and
(e) A product identification number instead of a vehicle identification number; and
(2) Is not a replica or an assembled vehicle.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I wonder how many cars fit this description... "sir, is that an Atom?" "no, it's my R.A.V."

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:28 am

I think it'll happen. Otherwise Oregon could loose Brammo. With other states champing at the bit, offering economic incentives, why would Oregon give them a financial incentive to look elsewhere? Of course, it is a government bureaucracy so...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm

I dunno... I think calling it a "racing activity vehicle" is just asking for trouble with the soccer moms. 

"you're gonna have racing cars on the street?  Oh my, isn't that dangerous?  My son Billy is mentally retarded, and likes to play on the highway naked with his diaper over his head, I think having a racing vehicle on the streets would be bad!"

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Agreed, Seems they could just roll it into a Recreational Vehicle category and the wording would be a lot less inflammatory.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:05 pm

This is certainly a step in the right direction...

What do you guys think about the "primary use on a race track" thing.
Seems wierd.
Do you have to proove that you use it on the race track, or just that was your intention when you registered it?

I love the final comment in the article:
"The commitee took no action."
Hmmm.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:54 am

primary use is subjective....and could be relative..but in the end, I'm sure irrelevant.    :-*