Another insurance - Chrome

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
bolus

Another insurance - Chrome

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:53 pm

I spoke with an American National agent this morning about their Chrome specialty car insurance.  I've been calling around to all the specialty car insurance trying to find someone that would be willing to cover the Atom like Classic and Rally.  I want to have good reliable insurances that we can choose from.  The agent I talked to said it should not be a problem to cover the Atom.  He was a big car guy and owned a GT40 that was covered under the insurance plan for $600 per year. 

Although I am going to stay with Rally who I just signed up for I'll get a quote from these guys as well just to make sure it will be an option for you guys

http://www.anpac.com/products/p_c/chrome/default.aspx

For the Atom he said it would need to be at least $50K in value to qualify.  Policies can be purchased for up to 10K miles per year. Rates depend highly on credit score.  He said most cases it should be <$1000 per year

The Oregon agent I talked to was Bill McLaughlin at (503) 546-8490

I'll post again when I have the quote
Last edited by bolus on Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Karl

Re: Another insurance possibility

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Policies can be purchased for up to 10K miles per day.
[/quote]

You'd have to be some track junkie for a policy like this.

Let us know what their exclusion clauses are!

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:02 pm

Let's see..

10,000 miles per day (24 hours), so thats um.... 416 mph and some change!  :o

I want to see the car they are insuring that's going to do that!

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:29 pm

I haven't tried to get insurance yet but I'm a little confused with all these threads.  If there are two companies that are offering what sounds to be hassle free, fairly low cost insurance on the Atom, what is the issue?

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:32 pm

[quote="SteveH"]
I haven't tried to get insurance yet but I'm a little confused with all these threads.  If there are two companies that are offering what sounds to be hassle free, fairly low cost insurance on the Atom, what is the issue?
[/quote]

Hardly "hassle free". 

The main goal with the insurance investigations is to get something that closely approximates "normal" insurance.  Funny, I know, "normal" insurance for a clearly abnormal car.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:42 pm

Oops, yes, meant to be per year.  Still waiting to here back on my quote.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:55 pm

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="SteveH"]
[/quote]

Hardly "hassle free". 

The main goal with the insurance investigations is to get something that closely approximates "normal" insurance.  Funny, I know, "normal" insurance for a clearly abnormal car.
[/quote]

what is not hassle free about it?  Classic and Rally seem to know what the car is and are willing to insure it.  You call them up, they write up a policy and it's done.  I'm not trying to be difficult here, I really don't understand what the problem is.  Can someone explain?

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:05 pm

[quote="SteveH"]
[quote="Karl"]
[quote="SteveH"]
[/quote]

Hardly "hassle free". 

[/quote]

what is not hassle free about it?  Classic and Rally seem to know what the car is and are willing to insure it.  You call them up, they write up a policy and it's done.  I'm not trying to be difficult here, I really don't understand what the problem is.  Can someone explain?
[/quote]

They dont cover every state and have enough limitations (mileage, locked garage, etc) that I think it is good that we get an many options as possible for insurance.  Nothing wrong with other options.  I am going to stick with Rally but I am calling around for the club to find others that we can recommend to new owners. 

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:52 pm

[quote="SteveH"]
You call them up, they write up a policy and it's done.
[/quote]

If only it were that easy.  Being specialty/niche insurance companies, they can make all sorts of rules on their policy that would seem unreasonable for mainstream auto insurance providers, because they know their competition is either nonexistent or is just as anal.  If they don't like the way you wear your cap backwards, they'll tell you that you can only drive your car between your house and Yuma, Arizona to see your less-than-apt-at-personal-hygiene second cousin on Sundays.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 pm

They just got back to me.  $612 for the year for 10,000 miles covering $68K value.  They even gave me a quote after going to www.arielatom.com and www.brammo.com

further discounts by adding house and daily driver with a partial refund (I think they said 20%) if no claims within 3 years.  Stated value policy.
They are mailing me all the policy details so I'll comment more on any restrictions but I did not have time to ask when I was on the phone.

They also want to get together with me to see what they can do for the club as a group. 

So far, so good. 
Last edited by bolus on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 am

[quote="bolus"]
They just got back to me.  $612 for the year for 10,000 miles covering $68K value.  They even gave me a quote after going to www.arielatom.com and www.brammo.com

further discounts by adding house and daily driver with a partial refund (I think they said 20%) if no claims within 3 years.  Stated value policy.
They are mailing me all the policy details so I'll comment more on any restrictions but I did not have time to ask when I was on the phone.

They also want to get together with me to see what they can do for the club as a group. 

So far, so good. 
[/quote]
Great job bolus, and 10k is a lot better than 6k. If you do run across a company that will insure the Atom with unlimited mileage please feel free to post the info as I might need even more than 10k if I decide to make an epic trip from CA across country to NY State and back to CA. Once I get settled where ever I end up....10K should be perfect for one year.
Cheers®
Last edited by maverick1 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:52 am

[quote="maverick1"]
[quote="bolus"]

further discounts by adding house and daily driver with a partial refund (I think they said 20%) if no claims within 3 years.   Stated value policy.

So far, so good. 
[/quote]
Great job bolus, and 10k is a lot better than 6k. If you do run across a company that will insure the Atom with unlimited mileage please feel free to post the info as I might need even more than 10k if I decide to make an epic trip from CA across country to NY State and back to CA. Once I get settled where ever I end up....10K should be perfect for one year.
Cheers®
[/quote]

They're not cheap, but you could always buy a second SPA Dash.  :angel:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

maverick1

Re: Another insurance

Post by maverick1 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:07 am

I guess I could Alec, but wouldn't that be just wrong?  ;D
Cheers®

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:10 am

Purely for track use when the insurance doesn't cover you of course.  :-X
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:10 am

Any indication of track day use being covered by this company?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.