The Colorado DMV says "Duuhhhhhhh what?"

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Jammer

Re: The Colorado DMV says "Duuhhhhhhh what?"

Post by Jammer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:11 am

BotZ...  I have a feeling you will find your way...if you dont like their answer try again....and again....different locations.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

It'll work out. There are Kit Cobra's around.... the Mile High Cobra Club has many of them on the streets. Like I said, I'm just waiting on the call to let me know what my step is. I'm not going to lie to the DMV about anything. I want this registered the right way. Plus, I've got a few back up plans.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:47 pm

[me=Bottoz]makes a temporary sigh of relief.[/me]

I kinda talked them into giving me a temp tag until the State level DMV makes up their mind. :) So... here in about 30 mins I FINALLY get to drive the Atom on the street. WAHOO!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Let us know how your drive goes. What's the weather like today?

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:46 pm

Sunny and about 63. Very nice for early March. Still a bit of gravel on the side streets... but man, what a joy to drive. Gotta get used to the mirrors.

foobar12345

Post by foobar12345 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:04 pm

[quote="dp35"]
I can't believe you waited until you have the car to start asking these questions.  But its your deal, to each his own.  I hope it works out for ya.

To anyone else reading this that's considering buying an Atom, and doesn't know how it will be handled in their state's DMV - start asking questions ASAP, to high level DMV people at the state level (not just counter people or even office mgrs.).  That way, when you get your car, you won't go to the local DMV office and make a huge mistake, like maybe saying something like "I just bought it in Oregon, turn key", which I know in my state would end your possibility of getting the car registered. 

Best of luck Bottoz.
[/quote]

In Ohio, the BMV has an independent operation by county.  Like any BMV they are not prepared to deal with "exotic" circumstances outside of their preprogrammed rote.  As others have noted, this can work to your advantage or disadvantage depending on how well you can contain the urge to strangle.  The nice thing is that since they do not coordinate information well, if you strike out in one county you can go to any surrounding county and plead your case with a slighty modified story. 

A few years ago, I purchased an Alvis Saracen Armored Personnel Carrier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Saracen.  It had never been titled, and as you can see by the picture, is quite provocative to the random civil servant.  It took me nearly a day, but I got it titled and registered.  I had to visit three counties since I caused such an issue in the first county they called one of the adjoining counties to be on the lookout for this weird registration request.  It was a fun toy while I had it and could drive through and over anything.  I took it out on a few crawls of downtown Cleveland/Columbus and it always drew a crowd. 

Initially, I was worried about registering my Atom, but remembering back to my experience with the APC I felt like I could get anything registered if I found the magic words to say to the BMV employees :)

-Brad

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:17 pm

that is awesome! put some spinners on it and drop it down a few inches

KK

Post by KK » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:27 pm

[quote="bolus"]
that is awesome! put some spinners on it and drop it down a few inches
[/quote]
Plus a bit of CF to make bolus even more happy ... ;)

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue May 15, 2007 11:08 pm

UPDATE:

Ok. So I was originally turned down by a newly formed Committee aptly named the 'Special Vehicle Committee' because they deemed the Atom not street legal. I had paperwork in my hand from the State Patrol stating that it followed all Colorado Revised Statues (laws) for a road worthy vehicle. I was told on the phone that the committee's decision was final. Confused as to why a State Patrol cleared vehicle was ruled illegal, I kept asking questions.. but never a right answer. Since I had Temp tags, I just let it ride.... I'll get someone else on the phone and try again.

Weeks passed, temp tags expired, and I tried again. I explained that the State Patrol signed my vehicle inspection but a DMV employee denied my request for Title/Registration and Colorado assigned VIN (the Brammo PIN isn't in the National Database... or so I'm told). I got transfered again... pleaded my case... this time I think I said the right things. He said that he understood my concerns and would re-open my case. A few more weeks passed. I called every week to get an update. Finally, he requested that I FAX in my inspection sheet. Two days later I was told that Audit & Compliance (DMV office) and the State Patrol agree.... it passes the vehicle inspection, so I should proceed with the Colorado Assigned VIN process (which I suggested at my first DMV visit back in February).

So, today I dropped off my packet. CSP VIN/Vehicle inspection form. Invoice. MSO. Colorado Assigned VIN application. Colorado Assigned VIN declaration and 4 pictures of the Atom. My local DMV office will send these forms to the State DMV office (Audit & Compliance). Then it goes on to the Colorado State Patrol. Once both groups process the paperwork, I'll be called into the local CSP station. I'll get the Colorado Assigned VIN stamped somewhere on the chassis, then head to the DMV for Title, Registration and License Plates.

Hopefully within another few months, I'll be able to drive the Atom on the road again. It's frustrating being the first, but if I'm successful in this attempt maybe more Colorado folk will send Brammo some money in exchange for the best thing on four wheels.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue May 15, 2007 11:28 pm

Sounding good, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:15 am

One step closer. The Colorado DMV has forwarded my application for a Colorado Assigned VIN to the State Patrol. The next step is the CSP issuing the VIN, and then registering the Atom! It's been nearly a year since I made my first Deposit.  :o

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:05 pm

Best of luck Bottoz!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:20 pm

[quote="Karl"]
Best of luck Bottoz!
[/quote]

Ditto  :tu:

maverick1