Confirmed insurance coverage - Rally

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
silver

Re: Confirmed insurance coverage

Post by silver » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:54 pm

Sweet, looks like insurance is cheap in Colorado!! ;)

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:49 am

[quote="bolus"]
Glad to hear that one officially went through the underwriter.  I just got my renewal notice through progressive and it went up to $1600 for the year.  So it is very tempting to switch right now. 
[/quote]

What kind of policy do you have with Progressive?  My Progressive agent quoted me $2200/year for a declared value policy for $60,000.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:25 am

[quote="RyanD"]
[quote="bolus"]
Glad to hear that one officially went through the underwriter.  I just got my renewal notice through progressive and it went up to $1600 for the year.  So it is very tempting to switch right now. 
[/quote]

What kind of policy do you have with Progressive? My Progressive agent quoted me $2200/year for a declared value policy for $60,000.
[/quote]

Just their regular car policy.  Comprehensive with $500 deductible.  I've seen it quite variable from owner to owner for those of us where they have said yes.  I have it covering $68K for $800 every 6 months.  No tickets or accidents on my record. 

For others who are looking into them them if you call ask for a policy for a "registered kit car or dune buggy"  they have a specific policy for this and it will go a lot smoother than if you say the name of the car. 

Please dont mention the other owner's rates when you talk to them because people have got their policies canceled when someone else complained. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:39 am

Got this in the mail today from Progressive
Cancel notice

your auto policy will be

cancelled at 12:01am on

March 22nd, 2007

Your policy will be canceled because:

The commerical use of the 2007 Ariel Atom is unaccetable

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:16 am

Oh no! Commercial use? So, you're renting out your Atom or charging for rides?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:33 am

No... the policy states that its a leasure vehicle.  I'm not sure why it says commercial on the cancellation form.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:35 am

I'd call and see if they just made a mistake.  Nothing to loose really.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:05 am

its a no-go.  Just called, and they said the atom is strictly for racing.  It has no doors, no roof, and thats just the way it is.  I tried to explain that its a kit car.... its got no roof or doors because its like a 4 wheeled motorcycle, designed to be driven on nice days.  Didn't work.

I then explained if it was strictly for racing, why would I be trying to get insurance on it?  Sorry sir, there's nothing we can do.

So... as of the 22nd of March, I'm uninsured.  I guess I'll give Sean a call back once I have my car with pictures inhand.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 am

That sucks,  sounds a lot like some of the companies I talked to early on

Mark K

Post by Mark K » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:29 am

Bummer news Darth.

It's going to be very interesting (and I'm sure ultimately frustrating) to get the insurance industry's point of view on insuring the Atom during the AtomFest technical seminars.  I really don't understand why the Atom should be so hard to insure, its not like current owners are crashing them left and right! >:(

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:47 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
its a no-go.  Just called, and they said the atom is strictly for racing.  It has no doors, no roof, and thats just the way it is. [/quote]

That's why I no longer talk about who I have insurance coverage from. When I approach them, they go "Of course, Mr. Good Customer, we'll insure your car even though we have no idea what it is". And then when I tell someone else who I have coverage with, they go and make a scene with the insurer because they aren't Mr. Good Customer and then the insurer looks at the car and goes "OMG, why are we insuring this for Mr. Good Customer?" and sends a cancellation notice.

There certainly is a large potential market for insuring US Atom owners, and eventually some insurer will step up to the plate. But until then, I think it is best to keep insurer info off the forums.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 am

I glad we have Classic and Rally who appear to be familiar with the car before the policy is made.  We just need a few more of these or one to support us as a club and we are set

silver

Post by silver » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:04 pm

Especially since Rally is half the price, and more mileage ;) ;)

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:05 pm

Switched over from Progressive to Rally today since it was less than half the price.  Sean was great to work with and helpful.  I hope this stays a continued source of reliable insurance for us. 

He did mention that he talked to an Atom owner recently that found an insurance that would cover track days.  Was this any of you?  I'd be curious to know who it was. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Ha, funny I talked to him today to and just sent over my stuff.  He mentioned the same thing, I was unsure who had track coverage, unless it might be someone with a "regular" policy, that doesn't "exclude" track coverage, who knows, maybe someone will be kind enough to find out.  Sean wanted to know so that he could approach the underwriters for the track coverage and get all of us covered for the track, so if anyone knows who it is, it sounds like a good reason to share the info.