Registering cars in two different states.

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
maverick1

Registering cars in two different states.

Post by maverick1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:39 am

Does anyone know if you can register 2 different cars in 2 different states?
For example say you lived in Pennsylvania and had your Toyota Camry registered there and you had a Penn drivers license. Then you bought a condo in Florida and wanted to keep a car down there so you could fly down. Could you register a second car in Florida without having a Florida drivers license, having only a Penn drivers license?
Cheers®

Jammer

Re: Registering cars in two different states.

Post by Jammer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:10 am

Yes...and No.  I have researched this to a point.

For instance, most states make a point to say that you must register in the state in which you hold resideence (I.E. where you vote.

I have run the gammet...and further found that, for instance, in NY, if you reside in NY, they have their own requirement that you register your cars there (want the income, not sure they can make this happen leagally).

Lets just say...some people have opened companies in neighboring states and registered the "comapny" car in the neighboring state...as the company has a location in said state (rented spot perhaps)...(and the company doesnt vote) .

I cant comment if this has worked yet, but we should hear in less than 30 days.

The answer seem to be one many may do wrong unknowingly at times. For instance, many New Yorkers have homes in fFlorida and keep a car there and register it there...but if you call both states DMV,s they will tell you to register it in NY if thats where the perminant residence is.  The problem seems to be when you "personally" register the car.

That said, it is harder and more expensive usually to get insurance on a company car from what i am told.
Last edited by Jammer on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks for the info Jammer. I am going to call the Florida DMV on Monday and ask them about it. If you live in NY state and buy a condo in Florida like so many snow birds do, and want to leave a car down there it makes no sense to register it in NY because you would have to bring it back up every year for the safety inspection and every two years for NY registration.
Cheers®

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:17 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Thanks for the info Jammer. I am going to call the Florida DMV on Monday and ask them about it. If you live in NY state and buy a condo in Florida like so many snow birds do, and want to leave a car down there it makes no sense to register it in NY because you would have to bring it back up every year for the safety inspection and every two years for NY registration.
Cheers®
[/quote]

Actually, there is an inspection provision to cover that.  But, make the call and post up...but you better call NY and ask the same question...as NY wants your tax money if you reside there.  Please dont mention the word Atom.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:06 pm

Might depend on a few other things too. In Arkansas you will not be asked for your driver's license in order to register a car. You will be asked for an address, but that is to determine where the vehicle will be domiciled for tax purposes.

Many people do this in Arkansas, especially folks related to Wal-Mart. They spend enough time here that they have a local car and a local address (sometimes just a place to recieve mail). They do not live here and are not licensed here.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:50 am

[quote="maverick1"]
Cheers®
[/quote]

I'll be interested in the answer to this quesiton as well.  I've lived in Grand Cayman for 10+ years now and have always maintained my Illinois liscence in addition to my Cayman license.  If the answer is that you need to have a Florida license, I may (at first) try to register my Atom with my Cayman license (works fine for renting cars and works also whenever I get a speeding ticket in the States... i.e., no points against my lcense!).  I'd prefer to keep as much of a connection to Illinois as possible including having a driver's license there.  If that doesn't work, I think I could probably establish a Florida residence at this point and get a Florida license.  Worst case would be to register the car in Illinois.
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:52 pm

sure you can.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks Cobra for the info.
Last edited by maverick1 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:43 am

PM sent

sloppyjoe

Post by sloppyjoe » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:48 pm

If one of the requirements is to have a driver's license in the state that you need to register the car in, i'm pretty sure that you can get a Florida license and still keep your old one. This is one of the few states (if not the only one) that lets you do this. I was discussing this with a friend of mine yesterday, because his SC license is about to expire, and he's just going to keep using his Florida license for the time being. He mentioned that Florida makes this amnesty because there are so many people that live there only part of the year, but keep cars there the whole year. Hope this helps.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:41 am

Arkansas does not ask to see your driver's license as a requirement for registering a car. The question is more likely to come up if/when you get pulled over and have a different address on your D/L than on your registration.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:46 am

I will know friday if i am successful with Plan A... I agree..my DL says one address, and my REG and INS reads another...at least reg and INS match.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:47 am

Good luck Jammer, we're all pulling for you.
Cheers®

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:22 am

Thanks man!  I have actually gone legit...  I decided to open a Racing Systems Co. in another state... but to be truly legit I think I needed to register the car in the business name...thats fine,,, but iI can not find insurance that will register in business name...so, Im not sure if I am bending rules or not.  Lastly, It all all all all depends on the clerk, if I need to get VIN verification and a pre inspection.  Research says I DO, but last 23 phone calls said "I dont". I dont think the clerks know the rules...so keep up the well wishes. Cant wait till friday!