MSO / MCO question

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Lane

MSO / MCO question

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:10 am

I'm doing what I can with the DMV prior to purchase to make [reasonably] sure that I'll be able to register the car after I buy it.  Apparently, the Atom is not in the WI database of vehicles and they offered to attempt to have it added.  But, they would like copy of an MSO or MCO for verification and the information about the vehicle that they need. 

Is anyone willing to provide a copy of theirs that I can use for this purpose?  Feel free to black out any information that is personal, private, sensitive, or that you don't want to share, of course.  My e-mail addr is in my profile.  It would be greatly appreciated.  This process may even make it easier for the next person in WI who needs to register the car.

Thanks in advance,
Lane
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Karl

Re: MSO / MCO question

Post by Karl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:31 am

Have you tried contacting Brammo directly for this information?

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:43 am

Been trying to contact Craig by phone daily with no luck, will keep trying.  Thought I'd put the question here while I'm doing so since I can see by past posts that there are many on the forums that are willing to lend a helping hand when one is needed.

Lane

Karl

Post by Karl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 am

My concern is that this kind of information should be Brammo's decision to release.  The MCOs they give out now could be very different from what previous owners have.  I asked a similar question way back when, and got a satisfactory response from Brammo.  Keep trying, they'll eventually get back to you.

On second thought, have you thought about getting your DMV reps and Brammo into a direct dialogue?

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 am

Be aware...some key phrase may be missing "such as "50 State Emissions Legal"

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:57 am

Before giving them a copy of an MCO I would ask what they do for kit cars.  You may end up causing problems if they start looking at the car like it was manufactured from a regular car company. 
A problem like this happened in oregon recently where the DMV decided the car was a regular manufactured car and that did not meet 2006 federal car safety guidelines and halted all title applications.  Brammo is working out the issue but the DMV was very quick to close the door on the Atom because it did not classify it into the same group as kit cars like it should have. 

Your DMV may look at Brammo's MCO and see something they are not expecting (like the PIN number instead of a VIN for example).  In general, if the DMV does not quite understand something they immediately start saying "no."

So I recommend when talking with the DMV or with insurance that you dont mention the name of the car.  Treat it as a home made kit car.  "I need insurance for a kit car" or "How to I register a kit car" goes a lot farther than "I need to register an Atom"
Last edited by bolus on Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:05 pm

[quote="bolus"]

So I recommend when talking with the DMV or with insurance that you dont mention the name of the car.  Treat it as a home made kit car.  "I need insurance for a kit car" or "How to I register a kit car" goes a lot farther than "I need to register an Atom"

[/quote]

Agree 1000%

cshama

Post by cshama » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:38 pm

The less info you give the DMV the better imo. Generally they are not there to help you

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:05 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Before giving them a copy of an MCO I would ask what they do for kit cars.  You may end up causing problems if they start looking at the car like it was manufactured from a regular car company. <snip>
So I recommend when talking with the DMV or with insurance that you dont mention the name of the car.
[/quote]

Thanks Bolus.  This had crossed my mind previously, but the inspection that is required for a 'homemade vehicle' to get a hobbyist plate (state's terms) began to scare me after I read the corresponding motor vehicle code.  Looks like it wants a windshield with safety glass, wipers, and bumpers.  But I've got a decent welder, patience, and don't mind fabrication so I could probably make it temporarily passable if absolutely required.

I read this advice early this morning, and decided to do another round of DMV phone calls and change the direction of questioning to homemade as well as replica.  Replica may be a stretch, but if accepted, would allow me to 'self-certify' the vehicle and forego the inspection.  And if you can believe it, I eventually found a gentleman in the DMV's research department who was familiar with Cobra kit cars and hobbyist registrations who was very helpful and even offered suggestions on how to approach the issue - all without me having to specify the make/model of car.

Thanks to all who replied with advice!
Lane

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:02 am

Lane, please keep us updated since this section can be very helpful to others as more Atoms get out there. 

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:16 am

Agree with bolus 100000000%. Treat the Atom as a kit car, however if you are going to go the kit car route you should opt for the "self assembly" option from Brammo.
Cheers®

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:53 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
Agree with bolus 100000000%. Treat the Atom as a kit car, however if you are going to go the kit car route you should opt for the "self assembly" option from Brammo.
Cheers®

[/quote]

unless you're in a state where the DMV is like Texas...meaning, they would register the car either way Kit or like a regular car, however, if they think it is a kit car, there are about 4 different documents you have to fill out, then the first office told me I had to go to a weigh station even though the weight is on the MCO, blah blah blah, every state is different, but, in Texas if it were a kit car registration would have been way more difficult.  One of the docs would have been required to be mailed to Brammo filled out notarized, and mailed back, because it has to be in original ink......I was able to avoid any special circumstances due to me telling them it is a regular car from a low production manufacturer.  Also, the MCO specifically said "vehicle identification number, and below that it had  the word PIN and the number sequence.  Also, it said "assembled" under vehicle type, which at the first office caused all the problems, but, at the second office they didn't care a bit, they did request to see what the car looked like which I had a picture on hand, and they classified it as a roadster.  Good luck to everyone and just use your best judgement...I still agree to give as little information to them as possible, just so that you get as good of an answer without endangering yourself of anyone in the future, especially if you are the first one in your state to be registered.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:10 pm

silver I think you're driving your new Atom too much. Can you please take some time off as we are all here patiently waiting for some good, high res photos of your new toy.
I guess getting out of your Atom is not an option at this point.
Enjoy your car, you waited long enough for that privilege.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Silver, just bring it down to Austin and I'll take some good picts of it. Of course we'll have to go to several locations so we get the best ones possible. ;)

The way the weather has been the last few days, I'd be putting several hundred a day on it just tooling around town, finding the best twisty roads around. ;D