CA: Front License Plate...

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
nickpoore

CA: Front License Plate...

Post by nickpoore » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:06 pm

Hey All.

So, we all know that a front license plate is required in Cali.

However, I have not been able to find any rules regarding the display of the front plate, other than this section in the Vehicle Code:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm
5201.  License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:

AND:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm
5200.  (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

There doesn't seem to be any rules stating that you cannot have a plate mounted horizontally, or anything like that.

So, by this reasoning, we could attatch a plate to the "hood" of the car, and as long as it was "clearly visible" then there would be no problems?

I have also found no restrictions on bending the plate to make it fit.
You cannot attatch anything over the plate, but no problem with bending it, etc.

What do others think about front license plates in Cali?

Karl

Re: CA: Front License Plate...

Post by Karl » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:13 pm

Personally, I like to give cops as few reasons as possible to pull me over.  This would include messing with the license plate.  I'm a fan of the "standard" lower-left mounting location, and plan on going that route when I get my plates.
Last edited by Karl on Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Re: CA: Front License Plate...

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 pm

I plan to go without, and if hassled, mount the front plate in as horizontal position as possible...maybe make somewhat of a spoiler out of it.

However, it has been my observation that exotic cars tend to be able to run without front plates and not be hassled...that is to say, it isn't a reason you'd get pulled over.  However, they might throw it in if you get pulled over for some other infringment.