DMV law enforcement on the web, an example

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
dp35

DMV law enforcement on the web, an example

Post by dp35 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:37 am

The link below is to an article about the "Titles Unlimited" case, which many of us aren't aware of, but should be.  Titles Unlimited was a company that assisted owners of kit cars, hot rods, Cobra replicas, etc, in registering their cars in California.  The Attorney General and the "Hi-Tech Crimes Task Force" used the Titles Unlimited web site, among others, as evidence in their investigation.  This investigation ultimately landed the Titles Unlimited owner in jail and out of business, and is causing his former clients major DMV problems. 

As a group, us Atom owners should learn from the mistakes of others rather than repeating them.  Not that we're advocating breaking the law on here, but this case is further proof that what's on here could be used against us, possibly in ways we haven't thought of.

http://www.sachitechcops.org/news050804.htm

Gage

Re: DMV law enforcement on the web, an example

Post by Gage » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:02 am

What???  It can't be!  Do you mean the DMV and/or the DA might use information from a web site to prosecute people for real, idiotic, or minor offenses?    I can't believe it! 

;)   

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:18 am

I think the prime motivator for CA going after these people is they were trying to circumvent the DMV's system and drastically reduce the taxes/fees they'd pay to get their cars registered.  Us CA Atom owners are paying full fees and are working WITHIN the system.  I'm all for paying the state it's due...it's navigating the ludicrous bureaucracy that's our problem, not trying to find a way to cheat it or work a way around it.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:23 am

Agreed with MrWoolery.  If you work with the system, usually the system will also work with you.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:29 am

I also agree.  But its possible that others could post discussions about other, illegal ideas they may have, like renting a closet in Oregon, etc.  You never know what angle the enemy is going to attack you until its too late, so there's no reason to arm them with information. 

I posted this to inform the people that refused to believe that law enforcement was any kind of a threat based on info they might get on websites like this one, and to inform anyone that wasn't already familiar with this case.  I've been learning a little more about registrations and SB100 stuff from the Cobra forums.  They've been dealing with this stuff a lot longer than we have. 

cshama

Post by cshama » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:09 am

The main thing is that states want to get their money. In the case mentioned they were dealing with a company which was involved in fraudelant activity on multiple occasions. I still believe that the average state dmv is not interested in the average atom owner as long as the atom owner is part of a scheme to defraud the states of taxes.

I am not saying that they wouldn't make trouble for you if they could but I doubt there is a DMV Inspector Clouseau hunting Mr Woolery.

and btw shouldn't this be moved to the locked forum??

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:33 am

:police: This is the locked forum. No newbies, no lurkers, no unknown visitors.  :police: