Registration Discussion - Lock It down?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV

Should discussion of registration be limited to "established" members of this board?

Poll runs till Fri Oct 30, 2043 7:53 pm
You may select 1 option

View results

benyeats

Re: Registration Discussion - Lock It down?

Post by benyeats » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:48 pm

[quote="Synergy Atom"]
i'm done with this subject. i'll let you guys from the UK keep fighting about these types of things.
[/quote]

Yep definatly us UK guys with something to fear from snooping DMV officials  ::)

Ben

ross

Post by ross » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:02 pm

[quote="Synergy Atom"]
i'm done with this subject. i'll let you guys from the UK keep fighting about these types of things.
[/quote]

Lol - did you just miss the whole point of the thread?  Strikes me that you prefer posting than reading mate.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:43 pm

An Insurance company is only doing what it has to by researching the car if it visits this site.  Insuring anything has strings attached and by hiding information you make it easier for people to say no.  If you get everything out in the open then they cannot blame ignorance or misunderstanding as a reason not to insure you.

I do not like hiding things so my comment would be keep the thread open.  You may find that this site could help get the car registered in one state as they will see it is registered in others, rather than know nothing.

Synergy Atom

Post by Synergy Atom » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 pm

apparently, Benny, and Ross don't understand American sarcasm.  i forgot to add the "  ::) " after my post. lol

and what does having my name on the title to an Atom have to do with anything? like i said, our company car is a Honda Atom, and we have a Ecotec Atom ordered and delivery date expected for next month.  That will be two Atoms in one building, registered at the same DMV.  bashing me because i don't actually posses my very own Atom, is about as stupid as saying i don't know anything because of my low post count.

and if its such a big deal about the CARB, and how to keep all your secrets, then like i said, keep that info on lockdown!  change my vote for me, put a password on the registration section, keep noob members out, whatever you mods think you need to do.
Last edited by Synergy Atom on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:55 pm

If you want to change your vote, go ahead. But moderators don't do that sort of thing around here. I don't believe we have access to do that even if one wanted to. When I set up the poll I allowed for people to change their own minds/votes.

Pet Project: Get everyone to Voluntarily list locale (general or specific) where it shows up in their posts. Click Here to Learn How.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:36 pm

[quote="Synergy Atom"]
and what does having my name on the title to an Atom have to do with anything? like i said, our company car is a Honda Atom, and we have a Ecotec Atom ordered and delivery date expected for next month.  That will be two Atoms in one building, registered at the same DMV.  bashing me because i don't actually posses my very own Atom, is about as stupid as saying i don't know anything because of my low post count.

and if its such a big deal about the CARB, and how to keep all your secrets, then like i said, keep that info on lockdown!  change my vote for me, put a password on the registration section, keep noob members out, whatever you mods think you need to do.
[/quote]

I thought you were done with this thread? 

I'm sorry if you feel bashed for not owning an Atom, that wasn't my intention.  I was just pointing out the fact that since you aren't even a potential owner, you have nothing to lose if others get shot down.  You don't seem to understand or care that outside of Oklahoma, this is a big deal to some people.

I've shared a lot of DMV and insurance information with this forum.  I'm glad to continue helping other Atom owners and potential owners, but only to a point.  From now on, I'll only share potentially sensitive registration or insurance info in the "clubroom" forum, or in PM's with people I know.  Its no big deal, because I've already divulged almost everything I know.  But that's how I plan to proceed from this point on.

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:42 pm

[quote="dp35"]

I've shared a lot of DMV and insurance information with this forum.  I'm glad to continue helping other Atom owners and potential owners, but only to a point.  From now on, I'll only share potentially sensitive registration or insurance info in the "clubroom" forum, or in PM's with people I know.  Its no big deal, because I've already divulged almost everything I know.  But that's how I plan to proceed from this point on.

[/quote]

Why not start a trend by deleting all the information you've posted already and putting it in a new thread in the clubroom?

Others that think the same as you may follow your example.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 am

Alec,
I thought about doing that, and still might, but Driver asked us to "chill" for now, until we see how this is handled.

Another concern I have is plagiarism.  There's been talk of some folks starting up a rival forum, focused on US Atoms.  Two of the biggest topics on that forum would have to be insurance and registration.  But where would they get any info on those topics?  Right here!  Copy - Paste.

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:18 am

Reality Check

Its simple.  Just because it may have been easy for someone, by no means is it easy for the next guy, in the next state.

If the Atom becomes any harder to register, its sales may plummet.. thats a fact.

That effects us all.

DMV and insurance "may" in some cases, perfrom simple, fast google checks, and find and see posts that were made in a plce thought to be free from such folks.

A simple barrier can likely stop 75+% of these simple checks, nothing will stop one truely "investigating".

Make the forum accessable to those who take the time and have the time to PM a mod and ask for access. That easy...those outside the US probably will never ask, so this will not over burden a mod.

Yes, I can withold all I learn and delete my posts, but it wont stop as the love for the Atom grows and newbees come to the site... so its a task no matter what.

BTW Synergy, you appear self focused and not listening to the issues others have because you have not had these issues.  There is a real problem for many people that want an Atom, and several that have one on order, or even some that have it already.  Also, CARB is NOT JUST California, some other states, such as NY have adopted the same standards. There may be  Federal regulations being violated, new car registration is not soley a state issue. A lack of proper policy adoption may be to blame, or to praise in my eyes.
Last edited by Jammer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synergy Atom

Post by Synergy Atom » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:31 am

[quote="dp35"]

I thought you were done with this thread? 
[/quote]

its tough when i read everything, and for some reason, feel the need to defend myself.

[quote="dp35"]

I'm sorry if you feel bashed for not owning an Atom, that wasn't my intention.  I was just pointing out the fact that since you aren't even a potential owner, you have nothing to lose if others get shot down.  You don't seem to understand or care that outside of Oklahoma, this is a big deal to some people.

[/quote]

Whats funny, is I'm not some broke highschool kid posting here just for shits and grins.  and you have no idea if I'm "not even a potential owner" because i have not  eluded to the fact either way. However, i can tell you that I'm not here for my health. ;)

[quote="dp35"]

Another concern I have is plagiarism.  There's been talk of some folks starting up a rival forum, focused on US Atoms.  Two of the biggest topics on that forum would have to be insurance and registration.  But where would they get any info on those topics?  Right here!  Copy - Paste.
[/quote]

Plagiarism?  Just in case you missed it, the "other" forum (not a "rival" one like you guys like to call it) was already started, and the topics on registration were user submitted, and it was asked that people post info on the states that they have actually registered a Atom in, NOT to just post info they find on the internet. and copy/paste is not plagiarism if a link to the original source is posted. :)

but no matter, in case you ALSO missed it, that "other" forum is turned off now, due to people on this forum complaining.

back on topic.

I'm not self centered. you asked if i had talked to CARB, and i simply replied that i have not, due to no need for it, as i live in Oklahoma. i can assist others with a OK registration, but i have no business talking about other states laws, or regulations... so i will not.  i also see your points on the DMV/insurance people "googling" and finding these topics quickly, and using it against someone.

thats why i suggested a password, or private forum.  i agree with the things suggested after hearing more of the arguments. or did you miss that?

cshama

Post by cshama » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:28 am

I personally feel that any dmv person who knows what the atom is will not register it. The reason I bought the car is that most DMVs are staffed and run by morons with outdated computers. Hence the loopholes.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:34 am

[quote="cshama"]
The reason I bought the car is that most DMVs are staffed and run by morons with outdated computers.

[/quote]

Sounds like you found some of haymanator's dinosaurs.  :laugh:

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:42 pm

OK, with 3 to 1 wanting to keep this area private, guests and newbies are now not going to see this area.

Here's a brief, locked FAQ that we will add to over time as a resource for NEWBIES, if you have suggestions and additional info to put into it let me know please.
Last edited by Driver on Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:05 pm

[quote="Synergy Atom"]
apparently, Benny, and Ross don't understand American sarcasm.  i forgot to add the "  ::) " after my post. lol
[/quote]

You could have a point.  Actually if you are going to say something 'funny' could you add a smily so we know that we are supposed to laugh.

Thanks

Ben

dp35

Post by dp35 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:11 pm

[quote="Driver"]
OK, with 3 to 1 wanting to keep this area private, guests and newbies are now not going to see this area.

Here's a brief, locked FAQ that we will add to over time as a resource for NEWBIES, if you have suggestions and additional info to put into it let me know please.
[/quote]

So is this "State Level Registration" the new location for all of the registration talk?  If so, who has access to it?