Are there any US registered Radicals on the road??

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Hellooo Newman

Are there any US registered Radicals on the road??

Post by Hellooo Newman » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:41 am

I know that there are a number of US registered Atoms driving on the US roadways as I write this and I was just wondering if there are any US registered Radicals on our streets?  I ask because the Radicals are similar to the Atom in that they have a full lighting package and horn, parking brake, probably everything the Atom has to make it street legal. I know the ground clearance on the Radical is pretty small but they do drive them on the street in Europe and Britain.
I had the pleasure of driving the Radical SR3 and got a ride from a pro racecar driver and I must say it was eye opening. When the pro was driving we must have pulled close to 2g's on this one long sweeping turn, I thought for sure we were going to slide out but the car just stuck to the road. I actually had a head rush at the end of the ride. It was like I had just gotten off a roller coaster ride the kind that pulls massive g's. It was quite intoxicating. Will the Atom leave me feeling the same?? Until you actually experience it, it's hard to believe a car can stay on the track at those extreme speeds. It is definitely addictive.
I did consider a Radical at one point but only using it as a track toy did not make too much sense financially. Plus I don't think the Radical would hold up well on the street, the body is quite fragile, similar to the Lotus Elise and I have read many posts where Elise owners have had either the front or rear clams cracked by drivers just barely touching them. I know the Atom with its tubular steel chassis would hold up much better than both the Radical or the Elise.
Just have to find the time for a test drive.
For those of you lucky guys who have their Atoms, get out and have a blast.
cheers

1965Cobra427

Re: Are there any US registered Radicals on the road??

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:59 am

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]
For those of you lucky guys who have their Atoms, get out and have a blast.
[/quote]

:tu:  :tu:  :tu:

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:49 am

[glow=red,2,300]I sent the following letter to "Radical West"[/glow]

So I was reading about how you registered a Radical for street use in Nevada.  Just for your information, I live in Californa.
Regardless though, there's no way you can get that thing over any sort of speed bump, or on/off any sort of driveway without scraping the hell out of the front end, right?
Guess you gotta choose... superb aerodynamics or street-possible car.

[glow=red,2,300]Got this response:[/glow]

Wrong I drive it to play racquetball several times a week.  We use Toyo tires and raise the car several inches.  My car has a 1710cc engine with about 300hp.  Great for getting on the freeways:)

John Morris
Radical West Inc.

I would not want to drive that car "[raised]...several inches" anywhere. Period.

However, he did also mention that since it's a bike engine, it didn't have to get an SB100 exemption  :)

Deus

Post by Deus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:00 am

[quote="07Atom"]
However, he did also mention that since it's a bike engine, it didn't have to get an SB100 exemption  :)
[/quote]

I don't see how having a motorcycle engine (unless its <50cc) changes anything. Now if it was a trike, that would make it a motorcycle but 4 wheels and an engine bigger than a toy makes it an automobile....

07Atom

Post by 07Atom » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:21 am

[quote="Deus"]
[quote="07Atom"]
[/quote]

I don't see how having a motorcycle engine (unless its <50cc) changes anything. Now if it was a trike, that would make it a motorcycle but 4 wheels and an engine bigger than a toy makes it an automobile....
[/quote]

"
Doesn't have to since it's a motor cycle engine:)

John Morris
Radical West Inc.
"

His words, not mine.  :)