Continued registration discussion

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
Jammer

Continued registration discussion

Post by Jammer » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:01 am

We have a few threads, and i thought it prudent to combine a few of the informational tributaries.

Below are the items i need to meet to register the car... and am unsure if these specs are met... some i know are not met and mods will need to be made:

1. Defroster and defogging device.... Im told walmarts has small heaters available that run off 12 volts... actually NYS DMV told me that one.
2. Floor Pan... Must be under the entire passenger carrying compartment ... I assuem the Ariel has this.
3. Glazing: shall be equipt with laminated safty glass windsheild that complies with current ANSI Z 26.1, ASI or AS10... The windsheild shall be in such a position that it affords continious Horizontial front protection to the front seat occupants. It must be not less than 6" in vertical height.  This is gonna be a challenge of sorts, not sure where to get curved approved glass or how to fab, but it will be done, even if I end of with a jeep style window. Ideas appreciated.  The Ariel windscreen may be 6", but is it approved glass? oh, nevermind, cant be tinted.
4.  Vision: Driver must have 90 degrees each side of the vertical plane passing through, fore and aft the centerline of the vehicle.  I think were okay here, if I read that correct.
5. Hood, a front opening hood must have primary and 2nd latches... not sure if the ariel qualifies as haveing a front hood.
6.Steering whell must be aminimum of 13" diameter.  Not sure here...anyone?
7.  Seat belts : must be a minimum of Type 1 (lap) and must meet federal motor vehicle safety standard 209. (must reasearch) anyone?
8. Must have hydrolic brakes.. think were good here...
9.  Fenders: 15 degrees in front and at least 75 degrees to the rear of each wheel centerlinr, measured from rotation centerline. (unless prior to 1935)  Craig charges to much for the extended fenders!!! :)
10. Steering... releasing the wheel should cause it to increas radious, between 5-15 mph, cant stay at full lock.
11. Must have high and low beam  (does it) and high low beam indicator.One switch must turn on head, tail, plate parking and seedo lamps...does it?
12. Headlamps must not be less than 24" from road surface... anyone confirm this?
13.  two amber or white parking lamps shall be mounted at vehicle centerline in the front., not less tha 15" from road surface. (anyone comment here?)
14. Tail lamps must be in compliance with SAE J585c, on vertical centerline, not less than 15" from ground.
15. turn signals compliant with SAE 5j88d, not less than 15" from ground.
Turn signal swith... Switch shall be self canceling and manual cancelable. Is it self canceling..I think not...hmmmmm, not to bad.
16. Rear mounted engines: Must be equipt with enclosure providing coverage for all pullys, belts and external moving engine parts, must be rigid material and completely cover all moving parts. Must extend 1" past said moving parts.
Lastly..a interesting one: FIREWALL: The vehicle must be equipt with a firewall constructed of a metal or compatible insulated fire retarding material to seperate the engine compartment from the passenger cabin, capable of withstanding forces normally encountered in collisions and designed to retard the spread of fire from the engine compartment into the   passenger compartment.   Hmmmmm  dunno aabout that one at all.

This is for VT,  Since NYS is a huge uphill battle..which I will fight, once reg'd in VT, if possible.
Last edited by Jammer on Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt F

Re: Continued registration discussion

Post by Matt F » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:54 pm

Here's some help on the points I know anything about:

2.  Floor plan.  It sounds like the design meets the spec.
3.  Windshield.  Current design does NOT meet the spec.  I believe that Speedway Motors sells an AS-1 compliant ploycarbonate windshield than can be cut down.  Other windshield glass shops may be helpful to you, too.
4.  Sounds OK.
5.  Sounds like it's trumped by #16
6.  Ok.  Plus, steering wheels can be replaced!
7.  I don't believe the design meets that spec.  However, seat belts can also be replaced at the same anchor points.  Do a web search for "Juliano's seat belts".
9.  What is the difference on the extended fenders?  They meet the spec.
10.  Front castor makes this OK.
11.  Lighting.  You're OK.
15.  Turn signals are NOT self-cancelling.  Motorcycle-style ones that cancel after a period of time are probably a lot easier to adapt, rather than steering column cancelling mechanisms.
16.  Sounds OK.  Is there no need for an exposed exhaust to be shielded?
17.  Firewall sounds very open to interpretation.

Good luck!

--Matt

cshama

Post by cshama » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:27 pm

Not sure if all the lights are DOT/SAE . I believe you have to upgrade them but not sure. I think Brammo are using Hella offroad lights. Not a big deal to change.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:46 pm

[quote="Jammer"]
Some states will allow for much easier registration process is we have a title in hand, Do you think NY would at least give an unbranded title???
[/quote]

I don't understand your question.

In PA, the only way to register the Atom is as an unbranded title isuued by the state.

dford

Post by dford » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:43 am

Just move. It will be easier than butchering your Atom and making it look like Frankenstein!

Jammer

Post by Jammer » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:33 pm

[quote="dford"]
Just move. It will be easier than butchering your Atom and making it look like Frankenstein!
[/quote]

I can see your the voice of reason here. Thanks!

dford

Post by dford » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 pm

;D

We'll see how I do when mine comes next year...

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:24 pm

15. Turn signals

I suggest you talk to Bruce about the ones he sourced which are discussed under the thread headed "Self cancelling indicators"

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/top ... l#msg31493
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)