California Registration?

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
nickpoore

California Registration?

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:56 pm

Hey Guys.

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone who is part of this forum.  I have found so many answers to my questions, and a whole buch of answers I didn't even know I was looking for.

I really, really want to order my car, but I'm concerned about registration here in California.
I am looking for a car that will be a weekend driver, and the ability to [legally] drive it on the road is essential.

I know that there are about 5 owners in California already, and am interested in how they registered their Atoms?

I know that a lot of people are saying that SB100 is the way to go in California, but since all 500 of those are issued on Jan 1st, I don't think that the current 5 owners were able to go that route.

I appreciate that you lucky 5 owners are probably out for the long weekend, but if you get a few minutes, I'd love your input.

Thank you so much.

-=Nick=-

Mr.Woolery

Re: California Registration?

Post by Mr.Woolery » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:42 pm

The SB100 registration route is the way to do it if you're looking to have a "smog excempt" Atom.  I believe all of the five registered Atoms in CA are registered in this way...the notable exception being Jay Leno's.  In his case, he's most likely either driving the car unregistered & getting away with it, or had the clout to pull strings in Sacramento to bypass the 500 car quota.

I suppose that there are other ways to register the Atom under the specialty car rules which would lose the smog-excempt status for the Atom, but I don't know much about them as of yet.

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:48 pm

Please forgive my ignorant questions..

I thought that since there was a 500-limit on SB100's that they all pretty much got issued on Jan 2nd.
If that's the case, does that mean that anyone who's bought an Atom this year has been unable to register it?

Thanks.

-=Nick=-

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:30 pm

There is still alot of question with the cars that currently sport CA plates.  The rumor of Jay Leno having plates would lead me to believe he has a DMV insider that got him through.  This shouldn't be too surprizing since the guy probably pays reg fees for over 100 cars a year and is no newbie to registering unique vehicles.  There is also the star power factor..

The other cars that I know about have been registered under SB100 and yes those tags are all gone.  Last year by 9am Jan 1st.  All of us on this forum will be there Jan 1st trying to beat out all the Hot Rods by Boyd and others, all the Cobra replica guys, hummer replicas, and basically all other builder of any other type of Kit Car all vying for 1 of 500 licenses.  Lets not forget alot of those are guys come with star power too, so the chances of actually get one of those SB100s, in reality, pretty slim.  Still gonna try though...

There is a sticky thread at the top of the American Atom forum that clarifies the process..