Driving an Atom in California

State specific issues relating to Atom registration with the DMV
dp35

Driving an Atom in California

Post by dp35 » Mon May 15, 2006 11:00 pm

I'm in my first week of Atom ownership, and I'm pretty sure I have the only Atom in this part of California.  I got the car just in time for a heat wave, which is nice, especially after a winter we thought might not end. 

I assume a lot of you will want to know what its like to drive.  I'll try to explain, but its hard to find words.

Driving it on the freeway is basically helmet mandatory.  At lower speeds around town no helmet and sunglasses is nice, as long as you don't mind an occaisional bug on the cheek or forehead.  You'd never want to drive it without eye protection.

Another thing to consider is the crazy things an Atom does to your hair if you drive it without a helmet.  I made the mistake of driving it home from a haircut with wet hair.  When I got home I realized that all of the hair on the right side of my head was standing straight up, and the left side was laid down flat.  So I'm not sure if people were staring and pointing at my hair or the car.

Like I said the weather's been hot, which is Atom weather for sure.  But when the sun goes down and it cools off, you can freeze!  I had to stop at a friend's house to borrow a jacket and some clear goggles once when I stayed out after dark.  On warm summer-like nights, the Atom is nice to drive around slowly.  I'm actually surprised at how fun it is to just cruise in.  At 25-30 mph in 6th gear its almost silent, and you can have a conversation with your passenger.  Then at a moment's notice you can slam it down to 2nd gear, let the vtec kick in and be gone like a rocket. 

As other people have said, the reactions you get are funny.  I guess this might be what its like to be famous.  I've had people waving, pointing, giving thumbs up and hang loose signs, staring, taking my picture, all the usual stuff.  I also have people follow me or stop their cars and get out to look.  Its fun but it can get old, like the other day when I was in a hurry and had to get gas.  I guess I'll have to be more patient with people.  I don't crave attention, but if you do you should get this car.

The most common and stupidest question I get is "can I look at it?".  The 2nd stupidest and most common question is "what is it?"  This is stupid because the car has 6 www.arielatom.com stickers on it.  The 3rd most common question, which isn't stupid, is "what kind of engine does it have?".  Hopefully the new "powered by Honda" sticker will help those people.

I'll keep you posted on other Atom experiences.

pakitor23

Re: Driving an Atom in California

Post by pakitor23 » Tue May 16, 2006 3:50 am

Hey, Have you register the atom in California for street legal driving? or you are just driving it even it is not street legal yet.

I live in Las Vegas and one day I will get the atom but street legal. By the way, which are the consequences of driving a non street legal atom on the roads?

Just a ticket?......they will take the atom from the owner?.

Right now I am happy with my klr 650 bike.

By the way, Congratulations! ;D
Last edited by pakitor23 on Tue May 16, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt F

Post by Matt F » Tue May 16, 2006 12:38 pm

Thank you cery much for the post, dp35! 

Please keep them coming.  I need to experience the Atom vicariously until mine arrives.

Other driving impressions would be nice, too.

Thanks again,

Matt

Edit:
Never mind.  I just found your earlier post!

cshama

Post by cshama » Tue May 16, 2006 4:47 pm

;D Very cool post. Thanks for the update. I will be putting down a deposit in a couple of weeks.  I guess you got a UK demo. Do you regret not waiting for a US model?

How was registration handled? Any updates on the windscreen needed for street registration? ???

I have more questions but I will hold off so as not to overwhelm you  ;D

Myerfire48

Post by Myerfire48 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:50 am

I guess I'll chime in here cause I know this is something Im interested in too and since I've had the early opportunity to experience an Atom I might as well share too.

First off the Atom is not like driving a car.  The entire experience is different.  Ever imagine zipping through traffic in a go-cart?  Thats a start, but it's a go-cart that belongs amung cars.  I've driven some relatively fast cars, but the Atom is on a whole different level and we only drove the 205.  The three hundred is going to require some talent and some restraint as the power is very 'inviting' to use dp35s analogy.  And it is just that.  It begs to be released and the delivery is smooth,consistent,and immediate.  Instant horsepower gratification is just a throttle away (finally!), and again we only drove the 205.  The driving sentation is completely in-tune, complete.  By that I mean that all senses are awakened in this vehicle.  You feel like part of the car.  I found myself gripping the wheel as if to hold on tight while I set up for corners, even though I didn't need too, adrenaline made me do it.  The wind not only reminds you of the speed you are enjoying, it beats you with it.  The engine literally whispers in your ear, pin it and it roars while it tosses you back in the seat and launches forward. Gearshifts come quick, almost too quick as the rev limiter is actually almost too easy to reach, I think I might like another 800 or so RPM.  Being a driver of a turbo rotary, I'm accustomed to short shifting, so I kinda got that sorted out.  The torque is everything everyone has speculated and said.  It is unreal.  I admit I had reservations with regards to the eco-tec (as I've never driven a car with this engine) those reservations are gone.  Long gone.  Although the guys at Brammo never waivered on the selection of this powerplant, I thought at first they were just standing behind the easiest engine to obtain (domestic)  but now my opinion is different.  This is a great engine for this car.  Not that the Honda isn't, just different from the Honda in that the Honda comes on very strong when the VTEC kicks in (and dp35s car still has some more tuning to go through) where the eco-tec comes on very strong right off the bottom.  And when I say bottom, I mean idle.  I guess some of that could be credited to the supercharger which very much pleases the ears as well I might add.  Now handling.

No need to hold on as you're strapped in pretty tight in either the molded seat or the recaro, but you will find yourself grabbing at something to hold.  Its a bit of a programed response that comes with g-force. The car is very communicative.  Never did I feel anything coming about unexpected but the car did 'slip' through corners with the slightest bit of oversteer. I like that and under power it is very controllable.  The balance is said to be 35/65 but felt better balanced to me than that.  My RX-7 is 50/50 and they felt very similar with regards to grip front to rear.  The car is very responsive to slight driver imput as you might expect. I did experience slight bump steer as a result of this and the car does insist that you stay on your toes if you're 'driving' it.  That doesn't mean it won't cruise but it does dart with just a little turn of the wheel.  To say it commands your attention might be an understatement, but thats why we all love this car, right?

Fit and finish of the product is very..very..impressive.  My hat is off to the folks at Brammo.  Every weld is nickles.  FIberglass and carbon molding are top notch.  Everything is neatly routed and tied down.  No untamed wire balls, no flappy panels.  Everything is nice and tight and perfectly fitted.  The chassis has not a single squeek or rattle.  Of everything about the car, this perhaps impressed me the most.  The only sounds you hear are intake, exhaust, and tires.  The only thing flapping in the wind is your eyelids.  Absolutely just incredible, I cant wait to take delivery.  Im 29th.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed May 17, 2006 6:07 am

[quote="Myerfire48"]
The chassis has not a single squeek or rattle.  Of everything about the car, this perhaps impressed me the most.  The only sounds you hear are intake, exhaust, and tires. [/quote]

Great expression in your experience of the Atom. I loved the comments "The chassis has not a single squeek or rattle" & "The only sounds you hear are intake, exhaust, and tires". The Brammo Atom must differ hugely from mine - mine makes all sorts of noises, squeaks, bangs, hisses, thumps, buzzes, rattles! I could go on, but I've grown to love them all :)

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed May 17, 2006 6:07 am

Surprising on the your observation of no rattles. Several of the UK threads are specific about the number of squeaks and rattling they have to contend with. Mainly having to do with the shock/spring package it seems.  Maybe the demo one you drove had them all sorted. Still, doesn't matter if it did, most 'race' cars have squeaks in spades. :)

Edit: See AtomFun even beat me to it.... :) I hope the demonstrator's lack of extraneous 'sounds' is indicative of the changes Brammo made to the chassis and suspension setup.  Fingers crossed.
Last edited by Driver on Wed May 17, 2006 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Wed May 17, 2006 7:55 am

The very first time I test drove the Atom, I never noticed any squeaks or rattles either!

Reason? The experience of driving the Atom for the very first time was so overwhelming, u simply did not notice rattles and squeaks :)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Wed May 17, 2006 8:02 am

[quote="g8kam"]
The very first time I test drove the Atom, I never noticed any squeaks or rattles either!

Reason? The experience of driving the Atom for the very first time was so overwhelming, u simply did not notice rattles and squeaks :)
[/quote]

and what about now Kam?

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Wed May 17, 2006 8:55 am

[quote="AtomFun"]
[quote="g8kam"]

[/quote]

and what about now Kam?
[/quote]...like a bag of nails ;D and I call it character!!!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed May 17, 2006 5:33 pm

The ecotech engine helps, and the build tolerances. It really doesn't rattle at all... it's weird! I've got used to the rattles on mine - and I quite like them... Could just be that I don't have any alternative!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Hellooo Newman

dp35 is your Atom registered in California yet??

Post by Hellooo Newman » Fri May 19, 2006 3:05 am

I am just waiting for someone to successfully register the Atom in CA so I can then place my order.
cheers

Mr.Woolery

Re: dp35 is your Atom registered in California yet??

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri May 19, 2006 5:47 am

[quote="Hellooo Newman"]
I am just waiting for someone to successfully register the Atom in CA so I can then place my order.
cheers
[/quote]

There are already a couple of Atoms registered in CA (UK versions).  I believe that Jay Leno has already registered his US Atom as well.  I'm on the path to registering mine once I take delivery, too.

Come on in, the water's fine.

Hellooo Newman

MrWoolery, I take it that Craig at Brammo will know the procedure to follow and

Post by Hellooo Newman » Fri May 19, 2006 4:35 pm

arrange the sale of the car to make registration in California go as smoothly as possible.
I have to take another trip out west soon to test drive the Atom and then decide on what engine/trans I want to go with. I don't know if the Honda drivetrain will still be available at that time so I might only have the GM ecotec to choose.
cheers